Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What determines DNS will query IPV6 address? Post 303043330 by broy32000 on Friday 24th of January 2020 11:32:32 AM
Old 01-24-2020
What determines DNS will query IPV6 address?

When I do simple nslookup it does not generate any query for IPV6 (AAAA). But sometimes I see DNS query for both A and AAAA are generated. What decides this? The reason I do not want AAAA query is in most of the cases AAAA records are absent. Hence, if one DNS server fails, the clients keeps attempting to send AAAA query.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS Server with IPv6 support

Hello, i have a problem with a dns server. It is running bind 9.4.1 (compiled with "-enable-ipv6") on an AIX 5.3 system. The server starts without any errors or warnings. I am also able to lookup names for IPv4 adresses. But with IPv6 i have a strange problem. When i execute the following dig... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skanatiker
3 Replies

2. Programming

validate IPV6 address in windows using c++

I know there is a function inet_tpon for unix platforms to validate ipv6 addresses.But i need an equivalent of windows.When i use this function with the header file <winsock2.h> the visual studio 2005 on win2003 issues an error saying identifier not found :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guru13
3 Replies

3. Solaris

IPMP + IPv6 test address

Hi, inspired by this article, I decided to implement IPMP + IPv6 in Solaris 10. It worked for me only this way: 1. Setup # cat /etc/hostname* 10.23.10.113/24 broadcast + group data failover up <- hostname.e1000g0 0.0.0.0/24 broadcast + group data -failover deprecated up standby... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression to extract ipv6 address

Hi all , I have a string in my weblog xheader v6-day-2011:xx:yy:zz:qq:qq:ww:ee:rr My requirement is to lookup the sting v6-day-2011 in this header and if found would like to extract the V6 ip part . v6-day-2011 is always constant for a ipv6 entry so i would like to extract every thing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

configuring site-local IPv6 address

How do I configure site-local IPv6 address in HP-UX box? I can get link local IPv6 address automatically when I put IPv6 up. aps39-88-root# ifconfig lan0 inet6 up (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirtikjr
0 Replies

6. Solaris

checking Solaris 10 DNS server for IPv6

hi, i have a Solaris 10 DNS server, how do you check whether it can support IPv6 networking ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
0 Replies

7. BSD

Link Local IPv6 Address

Hi, Am using FreeBSD7.4/i386 During IPv6 configuration, I added the following in rc.conf as Restarted IPv6 network using /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 restart.. My problem is I need to set link local IPv6 address auto-configured.. Is my proceeding right?? I feel something missing to make... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
0 Replies

8. Solaris

IPv6 for Solaris DNS

I have Bind running on a Solaris box that is our main public DNS. Given my very limited knowledge on DNS, I changed a few of the zones in the DNS to be 'dual-stack'. I did it through Webmin, but I know that I can also do it by adding an AAAA-record to the zone file. My question is how can I make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dardeer
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract IPv6 address from string?

Hi All, Would anyone know how to modify the below, so only the IPv6 address (red) is printed, please? (in other words, what's between inet6 and the / sign) ipv6=`/sbin/ifconfig lo0:5 inet6 | grep 'inet6'` print $ipv6 Currently the output of the above script is: inet6... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Find DHCPv6 server's IPv6 address

I want to find out the DHCPv6 server's ip address in the network. I went through the lease files but could find only duid/server-id and not the IPv6 address of the dhcp server. And I couldn't find any commands to get that information. Is there a way to get the DHCPv6 server's IPv6 address? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshalini
0 Replies
HOST(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   HOST(1)

NAME
host -- DNS lookup utility SYNOPSIS
host [-aCdilrsTvw46] [-c class] [-N ndots] [-R number] [-t type] [-W wait] name [server] DESCRIPTION
host is a simple utility for performing DNS lookups. It is normally used to convert names to IP addresses and vice versa. name is the domain name that is to be looked up. It can also be a dotted-decimal IPv4 address or a colon-delimited IPv6 address, in which case host will by default perform a reverse lookup for that address. When name is not provided, host prints a short summary of it's usage. server is an optional argument which is either a domain name or an IP address of the name server that host should query instead of the server or servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf. When server is a domain name, system resolver is used to obtain it's address. Supported options: -a Make a verbose query of type ANY. Equivalent to -v -t ANY. -C Query for SOA records for zone name from all of it's authoritative name servers. The list of name servers is obtained via NS query for name. -c class Perform DNS query of class class. Recognized classes are IN (Internet), CH (Chaosnet), HS (Hesiod), NONE, ANY and CLASSN (where N is a number from 1 to 255). Default is IN. -d Produce verbose output. This is a synonym for -v, and is provided for backward compatibility. -i Use IP6.INT domain for reverse lookups of IPv6 addresses (as defined in RFC1886; note that RFC4159 deprecates IP6.INT). By default IP6.ARPA is used. -l List all NS, PTR, A and AAAA records in zone name by performing a zone transfer (AXFR). You can combine this option with -a to print all records, or with -t to only print specific ones. -N ndots Consider names with at least this many dots as absolute. That is, try to resolve them directly before consulting domain or search options from /etc/resolv.conf. -r Perform non-recursive query to the name server by clearing RD (``recursion desired'') bit of the query. -R number Retry this many times when a query does not receive an answer in time. The default is 1 retry. If number is negative or zero, 1 is used instead. -s Report SERVFAIL responses as they are, do not ignore them. -T Query name server over TCP. By default UDP is used, except for AXFR and IXFR queries, which require TCP. host will also retry UDP queries in TCP mode if the UDP response was truncated (i.e. had TC bit set). -t type Perform DNS query of type type, which can be any standard query type name (A, CNAME, MX, TXT, etc), a wildcard query (ANY), or TYPEN, where N is a number from 1 to 65535. For IXFR (incremental zone transfer) queries the starting serial number can be specified by appending an equal sign followed by the number (e.g. -t IXFR=12345678). The default is to query for A, AAAA, and MX records, unless -C or -l options are given (in which case SOA or AXFR queries are made) or name is a valid IP address (in which case reverse lookup using PTR query is performed). -v Produce verbose output. -w Wait forever (or for a very long time) for response from the name server. -W wait Wait this many seconds for a reply from name server before timing out. If wait is negative or zero, value of 1 is used. The default is to wait 10 seconds for TCP connections, and 5 seconds for UDP (both are subject to retries, see option -R). -4 Only use IPv4 transport. -6 Only use IPv6 transport. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf SEE ALSO
drill(1), resolv.conf(5) COMPATIBILITY
host aims to be reasonably compatible with 'host' utility from BIND9 distribution, both in supported options and in produced output. Here is a list of known notable differences: o Debugging options (-D and -m) are not supported. o Query class CLASS0 and type TYPE0 are not supported. o Backslashes in domain names are treated especially. o The maximum of 255 retries (option -R) are supported. o Some resource records are formatted differently. For example, RRSIG and DNSKEY records are displayed without spaces in them. o When parsing /etc/resolv.conf commands sortlist and options are ignored. When multiple search and/or domain commands are present, host first uses the last domain command, and then all of search commands, while 'host' from BIND9 uses whatever command was specified last. o Multi-packet zone transfers are not supported; only the first response packet is printed. o 'Pseudosection TSIG' is missing from verbose packet output. AUTHORS
Vitaly Magerya <magv@tx97.net> BSD
Aug 27, 2012 BSD