Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX find duplicate backup files Post 303043306 by cokedude on Thursday 23rd of January 2020 06:31:01 PM
Old 01-23-2020
AIX find and delete old backup files

I would like find and delete old backup files in aix. How would I go about doing this? For example:

Code:
server1_1-20-2020
server1_1-21-2020
server1_1-22-2020
server1_1-23-2020
server2_1-20-2020
server2_1-21-2020
server2_1-22-2020
server2_1-23-2020

How would I go about finding and deleting old backup files? I would like to be left with only this after deleting the old backups.

Code:
server1_1-23-2020
server12_1-23-2020

Last edited by cokedude; 01-24-2020 at 02:47 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find duplicate files with find ?

hello all I like to make search on files , and the result need to be the files that are duplicated? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Duplicate files, not by name

I have a directory with images: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26216 Mar 19 21:00 020109.210001.jpg -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21760 Mar 19 21:15 020109.211502.jpg -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23144 Mar 19 21:30 020109.213002.jpg -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31350 Mar 20 00:45 020109.004501.jpg -rw-r--r-- 1 root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not Listing Duplicate Backup Files

I've searched about a bit and more than likely, I'm not entering the correct search phrase, but my question is as follows: When a user does an 'ls' (and whatever various flags needed) and in the results, we see duplicate or backup files from editing. IE: file1.txt file1.txt~ Is there a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate files

What utility do you recommend for simply finding all duplicate files among all files? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiasas
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate files by file size

Hi! I want to find duplicate files (criteria: file size) in my download folder. I try it like this: find /Users/frodo/Downloads \! -type d -exec du {} \; | sort > /Users/frodo/Desktop/duplicates_1.txt; cut -f 1 /Users/frodo/Desktop/duplicates_1.txt | uniq -d | grep -hif -... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk Einecke
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find duplicate string in many different files

I have more than 100 files like this: SVEAVLTGPYGYT 2 SVEGNFEETQY 10 SVELGQGYEQY 28 SVERTGTGYT 6 SVGLADYNEQF 21 SVGQGYEQY 32 SVKTVLGYEQF 2 SVNNEQF 12 SVRDGLTNSPLH 3 SVRRDREGLEQF 11 SVRTSGSYEQY 17 SVSVSGSPLQETQY 78 SVVHSTSPEAF 59 SVVPGNGYT 75 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate files but with different extensions

Hi ! I wonder if anyone can help on this : I have a directory: /xyz that has the following files: chsLog.107.20130603.gz chsLog.115.20130603 chsLog.111.20130603.gz chsLog.107.20130603 chsLog.115.20130603.gz As you ca see there are two files that are the same but only with a minor... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate rows between files

Hi champs, I have one of the requirement, where I need to compare two files line by line and ignore duplicates. Note, I hav files in sorted order. I have tried using the comm command, but its not working for my scenario. Input file1 srv1..development..employee..empname,empid,empdesg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Selva_2507
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find help in shell - that clears away duplicate files

I am so frustrated!!! I want a nice command that clears away duplicate files: find . -type f -regex '.*{1,3}\..*' | xargs -I## rm -v '##' should work in my opinion. But it finds nothing even though I have files that have the file name: Scooby-Doo-1.txt Himalaya-2.jpg Camping... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Glaurung
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Find Duplicate files using latest in Linux

I have tried the following code and with that i couldnt achieve what i want. #!/usr/bin/bash find ./ -type f \( -iname "*.xml" \) | sort -n > fileList sed -i '/\.\/fileList/d' fileList NAMEOFTHISFILE=$(echo $0|sed -e 's/\/()$*.^|/\\&/g') sed -i "/$NAMEOFTHISFILE/d"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gold2k8
2 Replies
TDBBACKUP(8)						    System Administration tools 					      TDBBACKUP(8)

NAME
tdbbackup - tool for backing up and for validating the integrity of samba .tdb files SYNOPSIS
tdbbackup [-s suffix] [-v] [-h] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(1) suite. tdbbackup is a tool that may be used to backup samba .tdb files. This tool may also be used to verify the integrity of the .tdb files prior to samba startup or during normal operation. If it finds file damage and it finds a prior backup the backup file will be restored. OPTIONS
-h Get help information. -s suffix The -s option allows the adminisistrator to specify a file backup extension. This way it is possible to keep a history of tdb backup files by using a new suffix for each backup. -v The -v will check the database for damages (currupt data) which if detected causes the backup to be restored. COMMANDS
GENERAL INFORMATION The tdbbackup utility can safely be run at any time. It was designed so that it can be used at any time to validate the integrity of tdb files, even during Samba operation. Typical usage for the command will be: tdbbackup [-s suffix] *.tdb Before restarting samba the following command may be run to validate .tdb files: tdbbackup -v [-s suffix] *.tdb Note that Samba 4 can use .ntdb files instead, so you should use ntdbbackup on those files. Samba .tdb files are stored in various locations, be sure to run backup all .tdb file on the system. Important files includes: o secrets.tdb - usual location is in the /usr/local/samba/private directory, or on some systems in /etc/samba. o passdb.tdb - usual location is in the /usr/local/samba/private directory, or on some systems in /etc/samba. o *.tdb located in the /usr/local/samba/var directory or on some systems in the /var/cache or /var/lib/samba directories. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The tdbbackup man page was written by John H Terpstra. Samba 3.6 06/10/2014 TDBBACKUP(8)