Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Feedback wanted for upcoming script language Post 303043279 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 23rd of January 2020 06:51:05 AM
Old 01-23-2020
I voted for the 6/7 letter word option for a couple of reasons. I feel the command(s) would be more self-documenting with longer names. Google, searches, etc for command will avoid false positives for the existing variant of command without capital letters.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Feedback on Script.

Hi all, Would like to get some feedback on a scrip that I've finished writing at home for work. Any constructive feedback from operations used to legibility, etc. would be appreciated - anything at all. It's my first real script that will be running on a clients server. The script is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New User needing Help for upcoming job

Hello All, I'm applying for a new job in telecommunications and have been asked to learn unix and pearl scripting. I've got a copy of knoppix Linux 03. I at this point only know how to list files, create directories, change permissions. I was instructed to learn how to create files, basic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberjax21
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I wanted to update a script, more dynamic (just say no to hard coding)...

currently it has the following: bdumpN=`ll /home/apps/oracle/admin/DBprod/bdump/DBprod_j* | grep "$Cdate" | wc -l` If I pass the DBname, I would not have to hardcode it in the script... I can capture the database name by adding the following: DBname=$1 The problem is, I have been unable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help wanted to understand MQ script

hi , i am writing a script to copy the MQ messages from onw queue to another. The following i got from one site, but i di not understand , can anyone explain. /root/scripts/sap/q -m$Q_MANAGER -i$Q_NAME_SRC_1 -F/logs/mq/MQ_COPYdump_$Q_NAME_SRC_1.$$ /root/scripts/sap/q -m$Q_MANAGER... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

lvm/tar/rsync backup script feedback/criticism

I have written a shell script to perform backups using tar, rsync and optionally utilise lvm snapshots. The script is not finished but is in a working state and comments/descriptions are poor. I would greatly appreciate any criticism and suggestions of the script to help improve my own learning... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

First public beta of upcoming gawk 4.0 release

Hi (g)awk lovers, just spreading the news: the first beta is available and there are many new features. This is the original announce. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radoulov
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I just wanted to share this bash script for linux

If your Unix box doesn't support bash scripts then do not do the following. Create a file named version. type chmod 755 version and then copy and paste the code below into the file. Then type "mv version /bin" and presto, type version. A cool full hearty command. If you know more about you're Os... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Errigour
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Wanted: Feedback on TUI

Hello Couldnt think of a better place than "What is on your Mind". So me have that project https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/253496-tui-text-user-interface-framework-scripts.html. :b: Eventhough i tried to describe it well in its thread and its README.md on github, i've... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
15 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Wanted: Feedback on TUI (2)

Hello everyone It just so happend that TUI was rejected from GNU for the moment, with one of the reasons beeing that additional user feedback was required. So, if you like scripting, bash in specific, please have a try and report your feedback, to help me find all issues to fix, and as i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies
OSASCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      OSASCRIPT(1)

NAME
osascript -- execute AppleScripts and other OSA language scripts SYNOPSIS
osascript [-l language] [-s flags] [-e statement | programfile] [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
osascript executes the given script. It was designed for use with AppleScript, but will work with any Open Scripting Architecture (OSA) lan- guage. To get a list of the OSA languages installed on your system, use osalang(1). For documentation on AppleScript itself, see <http://www.apple.com/applescript>. osascript will look for the script in one of the following three places: 1. Specified line by line using -e switches on the command line. 2. Contained in the file specified by the first filename on the command line. This file may be plain text or a compiled script. 3. Passed in using standard input. This works only if there are no filename arguments; to pass arguments to a STDIN-read script, you must explicitly specify ``-'' for the script name. Any arguments following the script will be passed as a list of strings to the direct parameter of the ``run'' handler. For example: a.scpt: on run argv return "hello, " & item 1 of argv & "." end run % osascript a.scpt world hello, world. The options are as follows: -e statement Enter one line of a script. If -e is given, osascript will not look for a filename in the argument list. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (e.g., AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the statement will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -s flags Modify the output style. The flags argument is a string consisting of any of the modifier characters e, h, o, and s. Multiple modi- fiers can be concatenated in the same string, and multiple -s options can be specified. The modifiers come in exclusive pairs; if con- flicting modifiers are specified, the last one takes precedence. The meanings of the modifier characters are as follows: h Print values in human-readable form (default). s Print values in recompilable source form. osascript normally prints its results in human-readable form: strings do not have quotes around them, characters are not escaped, braces for lists and records are omitted, etc. This is generally more useful, but can introduce ambiguities. For example, the lists '{"foo", "bar"}' and '{{"foo", {"bar"}}}' would both be displayed as 'foo, bar'. To see the results in an unambiguous form that could be recompiled into the same value, use the s modifier. e Print script errors to stderr (default). o Print script errors to stdout. osascript normally prints script errors to stderr, so downstream clients only see valid results. When running automated tests, how- ever, using the o modifier lets you distinguish script errors, which you care about matching, from other diagnostic output, which you don't. SEE ALSO
osacompile(1), osalang(1) HISTORY
osascript in Mac OS X 10.0 would translate ' ' characters in the output to ' ' and provided c and r modifiers for the -s option to change this. osascript now always leaves the output alone; pipe through tr(1) if necessary. Prior to Mac OS X 10.4, osascript did not allow passing arguments to the script. Mac OS X June 10, 2003 Mac OS X