Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Feedback wanted for upcoming script language Post 303043279 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 23rd of January 2020 06:51:05 AM
Old 01-23-2020
I voted for the 6/7 letter word option for a couple of reasons. I feel the command(s) would be more self-documenting with longer names. Google, searches, etc for command will avoid false positives for the existing variant of command without capital letters.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Feedback on Script.

Hi all, Would like to get some feedback on a scrip that I've finished writing at home for work. Any constructive feedback from operations used to legibility, etc. would be appreciated - anything at all. It's my first real script that will be running on a clients server. The script is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New User needing Help for upcoming job

Hello All, I'm applying for a new job in telecommunications and have been asked to learn unix and pearl scripting. I've got a copy of knoppix Linux 03. I at this point only know how to list files, create directories, change permissions. I was instructed to learn how to create files, basic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberjax21
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I wanted to update a script, more dynamic (just say no to hard coding)...

currently it has the following: bdumpN=`ll /home/apps/oracle/admin/DBprod/bdump/DBprod_j* | grep "$Cdate" | wc -l` If I pass the DBname, I would not have to hardcode it in the script... I can capture the database name by adding the following: DBname=$1 The problem is, I have been unable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help wanted to understand MQ script

hi , i am writing a script to copy the MQ messages from onw queue to another. The following i got from one site, but i di not understand , can anyone explain. /root/scripts/sap/q -m$Q_MANAGER -i$Q_NAME_SRC_1 -F/logs/mq/MQ_COPYdump_$Q_NAME_SRC_1.$$ /root/scripts/sap/q -m$Q_MANAGER... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

lvm/tar/rsync backup script feedback/criticism

I have written a shell script to perform backups using tar, rsync and optionally utilise lvm snapshots. The script is not finished but is in a working state and comments/descriptions are poor. I would greatly appreciate any criticism and suggestions of the script to help improve my own learning... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

First public beta of upcoming gawk 4.0 release

Hi (g)awk lovers, just spreading the news: the first beta is available and there are many new features. This is the original announce. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radoulov
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I just wanted to share this bash script for linux

If your Unix box doesn't support bash scripts then do not do the following. Create a file named version. type chmod 755 version and then copy and paste the code below into the file. Then type "mv version /bin" and presto, type version. A cool full hearty command. If you know more about you're Os... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Errigour
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Wanted: Feedback on TUI

Hello Couldnt think of a better place than "What is on your Mind". So me have that project https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/253496-tui-text-user-interface-framework-scripts.html. :b: Eventhough i tried to describe it well in its thread and its README.md on github, i've... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
15 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Wanted: Feedback on TUI (2)

Hello everyone It just so happend that TUI was rejected from GNU for the moment, with one of the reasons beeing that additional user feedback was required. So, if you like scripting, bash in specific, please have a try and report your feedback, to help me find all issues to fix, and as i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies
getopt(1)						      General Commands Manual							 getopt(1)

NAME
getopt - parse command options SYNOPSIS
optstring args DESCRIPTION
is used to break up options in command lines for easy parsing by shell procedures and to check for legal options. optstring is a string of recognized option letters (see getopt(3C)). If a letter is followed by a colon, the option is expected to have an argument, which may or may not be separated from it by whitespace. The positional parameters ...) of the shell are reset so that each option is preceded by a and is in its own positional parameter; each option argument is also parsed into its own positional parameter. recognizes two hyphens to delimit the end of the options. If absent, places at the end of the options. The most common use of is in the shell's command (see the example below) where converts the command line to a more easily parsed form. writes the modified command line to the standard output. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single-byte and multibyte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
prints an error message on the standard error when it encounters an option letter that is not included in optstring. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment processes the arguments for a command that can take the options or and the option which requires an argument: This code accepts any of the following as equivalent: WARNINGS
option arguments must not be null strings nor contain embedded blanks. SEE ALSO
getopts(1), sh(1), getopt(3C). getopt(1)