Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Poor Windows 10 Performance of Parallels Desktop 15 on macOS Catalina Post 303043266 by Neo on Thursday 23rd of January 2020 01:24:53 AM
Old 01-23-2020
Update:

Trying Parallels again on the 12-core Mac Pro running Catalina.

It's running a bit better since I repartitioned the boot disk.

Later, I will try installing NI-VISA and UltraScope for the RIGOL DS1054Z and see if I can get it to connect to the oscope, by isolating Windows 10 completely from the Mac. Earlier, I did not fully isolate them and had some problem connecting, so maybe if I isolate Windows 10 as much as possible from the Mac (an option in Parallels config) I can get RIGOL UltraScope to work.

It's only an "experiment", as I don't have an real intention to use UltraScope; I just want to see if I can get it to work since so much test equipment software (like software for arbitrary waveform generators and power supplies) are not supported on macOS, I thought "maybe" Parallels could be an option to get this Mac talking to various pieces of test gear; especially since I plan to buy an arbitrary waveform generator (AWG) in the $100 USD price range from AliExpress vendors after the Lunar New Year holiday is over and the Chinese businesses are back to work.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba on E3500 Poor Performance!!!

Hi you all, I have a BIG performance problem on an Sun E3500, the scenario is described below: I have several users (30) accessing via samba to the E3500 using an application built on Visual Foxpro from their Windows PC , the problem is that the first guy that logs in demands 30% of the E3500... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex blanco
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HW Raid poor io performance

Hello all We just built a storage cluster for our new xenserver farm. Using 3ware 9650SE raid controllers with 8 x 1TB WD sata disks in a raid 5, 256KB stripe size. While making first performance test on the local storage server using dd (which simulates the read/write access to the disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roli8200
1 Replies

3. AIX

Poor Performance of server

Hi, I am new registered user here in this UNIX forums. I am a new system administrator for AIX 6.1. One of our servers performs poorly every time our application (FINACLE) runs many processes/instances. (see below for topas snapshot) I use NMON or Topas to monitor the server utilization. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: guzzelle
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Poor performance on an M3000

Hi We have an M3000 single physical processor and 8gb of memory running Solaris 10. This system runs two Oracle Databases one on Oracle 9i and One on Oracle 10g. As soon as the Oracle 10g database starts we see an immediate drop in system performance, for example opening an ssh session can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregsih
6 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) switches from bash to zsh

Interestingly Apple has decided to switch the default shell for new users from bash to zsh in MacOS Catalina (10.15) Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support Another interesting fact is that Catalina also comes with /bin/dash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
5 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot

Sadly, I have turned off my access to the Apple Developers Beta program after installing macOS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago. After the install, I rebooted by MacBook Air and it "hard froze" and we were heading out of town so I grabbed a backup MBA running Mojave. Then, after getting back at... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

7. Programming

Python Screen Capture of RIGOL 1054Z on macOS Catalina Using NI-VISA

On the NI-VISA boards there has been some frustration where folks cannot get NI-VISA to work on macOS Catalina because Catalina (macOS 10.15.x) is "not supported" by NI-VISA (for many months, it seems). Currently, the README shows: NI-VISA 19.0 for macOS supports the following platforms: ... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

8. Programming

A Slightly Better NTP Client for the ESP32 (ESPWROOM32) on macOS Catalina

Currently have two ESP8266 modules testing some Blynk apps, whereI'm not so happy with the Blynk business model for developers, but that's another story. So, with two of my ESP8266s currently "busy", I decided to work on the ESP32, and in particular the ESPWROOM32. I installed the... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15.2 Catalina display crash and system panic

MacPro (2013) 12-Core, 64GB RAM (today's crash): panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f8b333ad5): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from com.apple.WindowServer in 120 seconds service: com.apple.logd, total successful checkins since load (318824 seconds ago): 31883, last successful... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
XDG-DESKTOP-ICON(1)					      xdg-desktop-icon Manual					       XDG-DESKTOP-ICON(1)

NAME
xdg-desktop-icon - command line tool for (un)installing icons to the desktop SYNOPSIS
xdg-desktop-icon install [--novendor] FILE xdg-desktop-icon uninstall FILE xdg-desktop-icon {--help | --manual | --version} DESCRIPTION
The xdg-desktop-icon program can be used to install an application launcher or other file on the desktop of the current user. An application launcher is represented by a *.desktop file. Desktop files are defined by the freedesktop.org Desktop Entry Specification. The most important aspects of *.desktop files are summarized below. COMMANDS
install Installs FILE to the desktop of the current user. FILE can be a *.desktop file or any other type of file. uninstall Removes FILE from the desktop of the current user. OPTIONS
--novendor Normally, xdg-desktop-icon checks to ensure that a *.desktop file to be installed has a vendor prefix. This option can be used to disable that check. A vendor prefix consists of alpha characters ([a-zA-Z]) and is terminated with a dash ("-"). Companies and organizations are encouraged to use a word or phrase, preferably the organizations name, for which they hold a trademark as their vendor prefix. The purpose of the vendor prefix is to prevent name conflicts. --help Show command synopsis. --manual Show this manual page. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. DESKTOP FILES
An application launcher can be added to the desktop by installing a *.desktop file. A *.desktop file consists of a [Desktop Entry] header followed by several Key=Value lines. A *.desktop file can provide a name and description for an application in several different languages. This is done by adding a language code as used by LC_MESSAGES in square brackets behind the Key. This way one can specify different values for the same Key depending on the currently selected language. The following keys are often used: Value=1.0 This is a mandatory field to indicate that the *.desktop file follows the 1.0 version of the specification. Type=Application This is a mandatory field that indicates that the *.desktop file describes an application launcher. Name=Application Name The name of the application. For example Mozilla GenericName=Generic Name A generic description of the application. For example Web Browser Comment=Comment Optional field to specify a tooltip for the application. For example Visit websites on the Internet Icon=Icon File The icon to use for the application. This can either be an absolute path to an image file or an icon-name. If an icon-name is provided an image lookup by name is done in the user's current icon theme. The xdg-icon-resource command can be used to install image files into icon themes. The advantage of using an icon-name instead of an absolute path is that with an icon-name the application icon can be provided in several different sizes as well as in several differently themed styles. Exec=Command Line The command line to start the application. If the application can open files the %f placeholder should be specified. When a file is dropped on the application launcher the %f is replaced with the file path of the dropped file. If multiple files can be specified on the command line the %F placeholder should be used instead of %f. If the application is able to open URLs in addition to local files then %u or %U can be used instead of %f or %F. For a complete overview of the *.desktop file format please visit http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-entry-spec ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
xdg-desktop-icon honours the following environment variables: XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL Setting this environment variable to a non-zero numerical value makes xdg-desktop-icon do more verbose reporting on stderr. Setting a higher value increases the verbosity. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. 5 No permission to read one of the files passed on the command line. SEE ALSO
xdg-icon-resource(1) EXAMPLES
The company ShinyThings Inc. has developed an application named "WebMirror" and would like to add a launcher for for on the desktop. The company will use "shinythings" as its vendor id. In order to add the application to the desktop there needs to be a .desktop file for the application: shinythings-webmirror.desktop: [Desktop Entry] Encoding=UTF-8 Type=Application Exec=webmirror Icon=shinythings-webmirror Name=WebMirror Name[nl]=WebSpiegel Now the xdg-desktop-icon tool can be used to add the webmirror.desktop file to the desktop: xdg-desktop-icon install ./shinythings-webmirror.desktop To add a README file to the desktop as well, the following command can be used: xdg-desktop-icon install ./shinythings-README AUTHORS
Kevin Krammer Author. Jeremy White Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006 xdg-utils 1.0 08/18/2014 XDG-DESKTOP-ICON(1)