Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? Post 303043206 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 21st of January 2020 11:15:35 AM
Old 01-21-2020
Hi,

.. refers to the parent directory
. refers to the current directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining directory path

Hello, I have a script where I get the full directory path of the script being executed: BASE=$0 echo "BASE:" $BASE The output looks like this: BASE: /webapps/appsdev/ACURA/rlz/oses3.sh I'd like to truncate the shell name, leaving just the directory path. The directory path can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwalsek
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh - walking back up a directory PATH

Hi there, I am putting a script together to apply a label to a directory structure but it can't be done down the directory structure, i must start at the end and work back and this is what i am struggling with. for example, i will supply a path as an argument to a script, e.g ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfbus78
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get directory name from its path?

If I the path to a directory, what command can I use to return the actual name of that directory. test=`pwd`/folder1 > $test folder1 I'd rather avoid anything with regular expressions. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ordano
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

change directory path

Hi, when ever i login my unix system it is going to root directory....how can i change it specified directory.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get last directory path in script

I have a below directory name /root/logs/testing/today/ Here i have get to the value as '/root/logs/testing/' only without the last directory in a shell script. Do i need to use substr function here. Is there any other way around (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep last directory from path

Hello, I am looking for a command that will give me the last directory name from a path ex 1 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/ output needed dir3 ex 2 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/dir4/ output needed dir4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aswex
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
MKDIR(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  MKDIR(2)

NAME
mkdir - create a directory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/types.h> int mkdir(const char *pathname, mode_t mode); DESCRIPTION
mkdir attempts to create a directory named pathname. mode specifies the permissions to use. It is modified by the process's umask in the usual way: the permissions of the created file are (mode & ~umask). The newly created directory will be owned by the effective uid of the process. If the directory containing the file has the set group id bit set, or if the filesystem is mounted with BSD group semantics, the new directory will inherit the group ownership from its parent; oth- erwise it will be owned by the effective gid of the process. If the parent directory has the set group id bit set then so will the newly created directory. RETURN VALUE
mkdir returns zero on success, or -1 if an error occurred (in which case, errno is set appropriately). ERRORS
EPERM The filesystem containing pathname does not support the creation of directories. EEXIST pathname already exists (not necessarily as a directory). This includes the case where pathname is a symbolic link, dangling or not. EFAULT pathname points outside your accessible address space. EACCES The parent directory does not allow write permission to the process, or one of the directories in pathname did not allow search (execute) permission. ENAMETOOLONG pathname was too long. ENOENT A directory component in pathname does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in pathname is not, in fact, a directory. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. EROFS pathname refers to a file on a read-only filesystem. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving pathname. ENOSPC The device containing pathname has no room for the new directory. ENOSPC The new directory cannot be created because the user's disk quota is exhausted. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX, BSD, SYSV, X/OPEN. SVr4 documents additional EIO, EMULTIHOP and ENOLINK error conditions; POSIX.1 omits ELOOP. There are many infelicities in the protocol underlying NFS. Some of these affect mkdir. SEE ALSO
mkdir(1), chmod(2), mknod(2), mount(2), rmdir(2), stat(2), umask(2), unlink(2) Linux 1.0 1994-03-29 MKDIR(2)