Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Ardunio Tick-Tock DS1307 RTC Shield Basics Post 303043106 by Neo on Saturday 18th of January 2020 07:30:32 AM
Old 01-18-2020
This is my last update / post on this Arduino Tick Tock shield for now. I was going to post the details on how to calibrate the thermistor; including taking various measurements, recording the resistance at various temperatures, setting up the Steinhart-Hart Equation and solving it with matrix math, but I'm going to put that off for now.

Basically, this shield is a nice learning tool, with the real-time clock, thermistor, light sensor, display, buttons and LEDs to play with; but the RTC, the light sensor and the thermistor are of such low quality, that it's not really useful for anything more than "a toy shield" for learning and playing around.

The Ardunio Tick-Tock DS1307 RTC Shield was "fun" but not sure I recommend it to anyone, even for under $5 USD.

But on-the-other-hand, I did get my $5 worth playing with it so, as always, YMMV.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

java shield

dear experts i want to install java install shield on solaris but first i want to read more information and help about it can anyone gives me some links or guids that helps me (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
0 Replies

2. Linux

kernel:how to modify and read the tick rate:HZ

hi, one of our customer is facing an issue with jiffies wrap up. on a 32 bit machine, the variable jiffies count upto 472 days. the customer's server was up for 472 days ('uptime') and to reproduce the same, i tried to change the variable HZ in linux-2.6..23.9/include/asm-i386/param.h from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is rtc still needed today?

Hi, I'm administrating a pretty old solaris (2.6) system. In the cronjobs I found that every night 2 o'clock a cronjob starts /usr/sbin/rtc -c. I've never seen this app in my life before so I looked at the manpage and it told rtc is for syncing Dos and Unix Systems. Did I understand it correctly?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparkysun
2 Replies

4. Solaris

crontab /usr/sbin/rtc log rc=1

I noticed in my cron log file for my solaris 8 servers the rc=1. I imagine that is return code and something did not process. Does anyone know what that is, is there fix or the implications of leaving it? Thank you > CMD: && /usr/sbin/rtc -c > /dev/null 2>&1 > root 22049 c Fri Dec 19... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Cannot see 'tick boxes' and other contents when installed programmes using Wine. Is there any other

Hi! I have installed ubuntu out of an error, a bit of frustration, a bit of annoyance and a bit of excitement! I am (was!) a windows user. I had windows 7 on my laptop. You might already know how famous windows is with nasty viruses. I got one too! Had no option but to get rid of the whole... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubuntu_noob
3 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Clock doesn't tick

This is a strange one, I've never seen anything like it; the realtime clock doesn't tick while the computer's idle, only when you're watching it. Leave for 3 hours and it'll be 3 hours off. It still advances when it's off however, or the time would be far more incorrect than it is. About all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VxWorks RTC time giving wrong value at random times

I am seeing a scenario where in if the TIMEZONE environment variable value is set to nothing i.e. putenv "TIMEZONE=" the hardware clock is +1 to software clock.Pasted below the results displayed: -> envShow (global environment) 0: TSC_TIME_FROM_RESET=420150.971529 seconds 1:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snehavb
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert tick to new lines

i can convert ticks to new lines using something like this: tr '`' '\n' < filename or tr "\`" "\n" < filename or vice versa tr '\n' '`' < filename or tr "\n" "\`" < filename however, this command seems to not work the same on every system. it works on ubuntu, and it works on redhat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Need Hardware help on a RP4440 that lost the RTC and does not see both hard drives

Since the lost of the rtc all the settings became default. Does anyone remember what needs to be reset to discover both Hard drives? It sees the DVD and the scsi disk (intscsib.0) in 0/1/1/1.0 (disk 1 slot) but not 0/1/1/0.1 (intscsia.1)(disk 0 slot). Right now, from the service menu, scsi shows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
3 Replies
rtc(1M)                                                   System Administration Commands                                                   rtc(1M)

NAME
rtc - provide all real-time clock and GMT-lag management SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rtc [-c] [-z zone-name] DESCRIPTION
On x86 systems, the rtc command reconciles the difference in the way that time is established between UNIX and MS-DOS systems. UNIX systems utilize Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), while MS-DOS systems utilize local time. Without arguments, rtc displays the currently configured time zone string. The currently configured time zone string is based on what was last recorded by rtc-z zone-name. The rtc command is not normally run from a shell prompt; it is generally invoked by the system. Commands such as date(1) and rdate(1M), which are used to set the time on a system, invoke /usr/sbin/rtc -c to ensure that daylight savings time (DST) is corrected for properly. OPTIONS
-c This option checks for DST and makes corrections if necessary. It is normally run once a day by a cron job. If there is no RTC time zone or /etc/rtc_config file, this option will do nothing. -z zone-name This option, which is normally run by the system at software installation time, is used to specify the time zone in which the RTC is to be maintained. It updates the configuration file /etc/rtc_config with the name of the specified zone and the current GMT lag for that zone. If there is an existing rtc_config file, this command will update it. If not, this command will create it. FILES
/etc/rtc_config The data file used to record the time zone and GMT lag. This file is completely managed by /usr/sbin/rtc, and it is read by the kernel. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
date(1), rdate(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Oct 2003 rtc(1M)