Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Python : Problem with " TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number " Post 303043099 by Tim2424 on Saturday 18th of January 2020 03:46:10 AM
Old 01-18-2020
Python : Problem with " TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number "

Hello !

I'm creating a CGI which allow to display graph from some data.

The datas looks like :
Code:

2020-01-13-00-00,384.00,350.00
2020-01-13-06-00,384.00,350.00
2020-01-13-12-00,384.00,350.00
2020-01-13-18-00,384.00,350.00
2020-01-14-00-00,384.00,350.00
2020-01-14-06-00,384.00,350.00
2020-01-14-12-00,384.00,350.00

I use the ipywidgets, pandas and plotly.express librarys in order to create a web page which will display a graph with two buttons : the first to display the graph and the second to display the graph with the trendline.

My script is :

Code:
import ipywidgets as widgets
import pandas as pd
import plotly.express as px
import os

####### Button 1 ########

button = widgets.Button(description="graph")
display(button)

def graph():
        df = pd.read_csv('/xxx/xxx/xxx/Test.txt')
        df.head()
        fig = px.line(df, x = 'Date', y ='Total Used', title='DF command graph')
        fig.update_traces(mode='markers')
        fig.show();

output = widgets.Output()

@output.capture()
def on_button_clicked(b):
        graph();

button.on_click(on_button_clicked)
display(output)

####### Button 2 #########

button2 = widgets.Button(description='trend')
display(button2)

def trend():
        df = pd.read_csv('/xxx/xxx/xxx/Test.txt')
        df.head()
        fig = px.scatter(float(df), x="Date", y="Total Used", trendline="ols")
        fig.show()

output2 = widgets.Output()

@output2.capture()
def on_button2_clicked(b):
        trend()

button2.on_click(on_button2_clicked)
display(output2)

graph()

The first step ( displaying the grap ) works prefectly :

But when I press the trend button, I've this error :

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
~/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ipywidgets/widgets/widget_output.py in inner(*args, **kwargs)
    101                     self.clear_output(*clear_args, **clear_kwargs)
    102                 with self:
--> 103                     return func(*args, **kwargs)
    104             return inner
    105         return capture_decorator

<ipython-input-17-8774359d7459> in on_button2_clicked(b)
     41 @output2.capture()
     42 def on_button2_clicked(b):
---> 43     trend()
     45 button2.on_click(on_button2_clicked)

<ipython-input-17-8774359d7459> in trend()
     34     df = pd.read_csv('/home/timothee/Desktop/Test.txt')
     35     df.head()
---> 36     fig = px.scatter(float(df), x="Date", y="Total Used", trendline="ols")
     37     fig.show()

TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number, not 'DataFrame'

I know that in this situation, the trendline make no sense, bujt it's just an example.

Could you show me how to fix this error ?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-18-2020 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: quote tags -> code tags for output sample

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem: Need to check if a string argument contains "-"

I am passing a string as argument. Need to check if it contains "-". If it contains "-" then check if it contains "-r" .If Yes then print some message else check if it contains "-t".If yes print some message. How this check can be done using shell script? How I can do this by using IF OR... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
7 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M";output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M" output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6M" using linux shell script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to identify the line number containing a particular "string"

Hi, I have a log file, where i am required to identify the line number, where a particular string/line appears in the log file. And then copy 200 lines above that line number to a new file. Can someone provide pointers on how to write this script or what command to be used ? Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk2202
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Script to identify the line number containing a particular "string"

Hi, I have a log file, where i am required to identify the line number, where a particular string/line appears in the log file. And then copy 200 lines above that line number to a new file. Can someone provide pointers on how to write this script or what command to be used ? Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kk2202
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

9. SuSE

"ssh suse-server 'python -V' > python-version.out" not redirecting

Okay, so I have had this problem on openSUSE, and Debian systems now and I am hoping for a little help. I think it has something to do with Python but I couldn't find a proper Python area here. I am trying to redirect the output of "ssh suse-server 'python -V'" to a file. It seems that no matter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Druonysus
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies