Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Is there a way to restrict a user (owner) to execute scripts from a specific directory Post 303043078 by karumudi7 on Friday 17th of January 2020 01:00:57 PM
Old 01-17-2020
Finally, we pushed the change and it worked! Thank u.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CRON job to execute all scripts in a directory

Hi everyone: I'm trying to make a CRON job that will execute Fridays at 7am. I have the following: * 7 * * 5 I've been studying up on CRON and I know to have this in a file and then "crontab filename.txt" to add it to the CRON job list. The CRON part I believe I understand, but I would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Annorax
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restrict the number of commands user can execute

Hi all, Is there a way to prevent users from being able to execute commands less a select few? For instance, I wish to allow the user to be only able to execute 1 command, which is exec a.sh. He should not be able to do simple stuff such as ls, cd, rm, cat, etc. Can this be achieved? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict FTP access to a single directory for only one user.

Hi All, It will be very great if you can help me in this issue. Thanks in advance. I need to enable FTP on a solaris9 server. I need to create a new user some "xxxxxx" and he can only FTP the files to and from between /tftpboot directory and network devices. Other users should not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshkumar_d
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do U restrict a user to a single directory?

specifically - I don't need to restrict a user to a single directory - but I want them to be "ROOTED" to their home directory. so if my home directory is /home/onlyme when I login - if I do a pwd - I want to see: / but in real life I will be in /home/onlyme - it just appears as root to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: itobenon
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restrict one user to see only his home directory in his profile

Hi I need to restrict one user to see only his home directory and one more directory how i can do this in his profile. The OS is Red hat linux I create a user -- tec and group calle --tec one the user log in he will see /home/tec and he need to see /opt/load this dirctory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
6 Replies

6. Linux

Restrict User to only execute the file.

Hi Gurus , I hope you are doing great . Other than owner of the file , OTHERS and GROUP should be restricted from read or write a file created by the owner. OTHERS and GROUP should be only allowed to execute the file. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: palanisvr
8 Replies

7. Red Hat

Restrict user to a particular directory

Hi I have a Fedora10 server and i need a particular user to view files only in a particular folder. All other files in other folders having "read" permission for all shouldn't be accessible to this user. Please let me know if ther's a way. Thanks, HG (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Restrict FTP User to a Directory

I am using Solaris 10 on SPARC. SunOS ddw 5.10 Generic_139555-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise I have put some text files in a directory '/u01/network' I want to create a ftp user which can just read the files in the network directory. The ftp user shouldn't be able to navigate or see... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fahdmirza
4 Replies

9. Solaris

How to restrict user to a specific directory in solaris 10

Hi all, I want to create a new user and grant him ONLY transfer files access to a specific directory where he can only upload and read the files. He should be restricted to this activity only. Regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilldn
6 Replies

10. AIX

How to restrict user to a particular directory?

hi, I want to restrict some user access to only 1 directory (including all sub-directories/files in it). can you please explain me, how can we do this? example; Filesystem GB blocks Used Free %Used Mounted on /dev/hd4 2.61 1.02 1.59 40% / /dev/hd2 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron8667
7 Replies
sticky(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 sticky(8)

Name
       sticky - executable files with persistent text

Description
       The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000), is used to indicate special treatment for certain executable files and directories.

While the sticky bit, mode 01000 is set on a sharable executable file, the text of that file will not be removed from the system swap area.
       Thus the file does not have to be fetched from the file system upon each execution.  As long as a copy remains in the swap area, the origi-
       nal  text  cannot  be  overwritten  in  the file system, nor can the file be deleted.  Directory entries can be removed so long as one link
       remains.

Sharable files are made by the and options of

To replace a sticky file that has been used, clear the sticky bit with and execute the old program to flush the swapped copy.  This can	be
       done  safely  even  if others are using it.  Overwrite the sticky file.	If the file is being executed by any process, writing will be pre-
       vented.	It suffices to simply remove the file and then rewrite it, being careful to reset the owner and mode with and Set the  sticky  bit
       again.

A  directory  whose  sticky bit is set becomes an append-only directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is
       restricted.  A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the  directory  and
       the  user  is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the superuser.  This feature is usefully applied to directories such as
       which must be publicly writeable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files.

Restrictions
       Only the superuser can set the sticky bit.

See Also
       chmod(2)

RISC								 sticky(8)