Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to make use others' C library installed not for the system-wide (Ubuntu/Linux)? Post 303043075 by Neo on Friday 17th of January 2020 11:53:37 AM
Old 01-17-2020
Just because a liib is updated ... you do not have to recompile at all if your static binary is working fine.

In addition, shared libs can introduce major IT security issues.

There is "No Free Lunch"

In engineering and design, every thing is a kind of "trade off" ... never fall into the trap of "falling in love" with a "one half of the trade.".

Every Rose Has Its Thorns.
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links working system wide

I have created symbolic links to several frequently used commands, for example: "lt" is a link to "ls -ltrgo|tail". What can I do to make these links available system-wide, or at least in the directories my coworkers are in most of the time? I have copied the link to several directories, and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System wide CDE setup

Does anyone know how to make system wide changes to the CDE's front panel icons? I dont know if it matters but im running Solaris 9. THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meyersp
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to mount/make a FAT system on Linux

Yea i was wondering how i would mount, and create a FAT directory that way i can save files in the FAT directory in a windows system and be able to access them on Linux systems. Or if there is any other way to share files between Linux and Windows. Any responds will help... thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kyoist
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

system wide password change

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I was trying to write a script that would force a system wide password change except for admins. I am having some trouble and any help that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to do it by using the UID as the marker for anyone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilemark
6 Replies

6. Linux

System wide find and sort

Hi, I need to look for a config file (ldap.conf) and pick the latest modified file. `locate` tells me there are many ldap.conf's, some in /etc, /usr, /home, etc. Is there some way I can sort them by last modified time via bash? I was thinking maybe I could pipe the output of `locate` to `ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Housni
4 Replies

7. Linux

How to run User-mode Linux installed with synaptic package manager in Ubuntu 10.10

I have installed user-mode linux kernel in Ubuntu 10.10 with the help of Synaptic package manager. But I'm not getting how to run it. If we install it manually, we've to run it using the executable binary file. But here, I'm unable to locate any such file. Please help.... Thanking You.... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitadeshmukh1
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Changing system-wide for umask

Hi everybody, How can I change the default UMASK for non root users, e.g. I want the umask for every new created user will be 0044. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

System-wide search

When looking for wherever a program or a filename appears in the system, a short scrip is "findinner" which another script calls with a long parameter list consisting of path names ending with ".sh" or ".menu". "findinner" looks like this: # If not .savenn file, show name and result of grep. #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies
MRTG-FAQ(1)							       mrtg							       MRTG-FAQ(1)

NAME
mrtg-faq - How to get help if you have problems with MRTG SYNOPSIS
MRTG seems to raise a lot of questions. There are a number of resources apart from the documentation where you can find help for mrtg. FAQ
In the following sections you'll find some additonal Frequently Asked Questions, with Answers. Why is there no "@#$%" (my native language) version of MRTG? Nobody has contributed a @#$%.pmd file yet. Go into the mrtg-2.17.4/translate directory and create your own translation file. When you are happy with it send it to me for inclusion with the next mrtg release. I need a script to make mrtg work with my xyz device. Probably this has already been done. Check the stuff in the mrtg-2.17.4/contrib directory. There is a file called 00INDEX in that directory which tells what you can find in there. How does this SNMP thing work There are many resources on the net that explain SNMP. Take a look at this article from the Linux Journal by David Guerrero http://www.david-guerrero.com/papers/snmp/ And at this rather long document from CISCO. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/snmp.htm The images created by MRTG look very strange. Remove the *-{week,day,month,year}.png files and start MRTG again. Using MRTG for the first time, you might have to do this twice. This will also help when you introduce new routers into the cfg file. What is my Community Name? Ask the person in charge of your Router or try 'public', as this is the default Community Name. My graphs show a flat line during an outage. Why ? Well, the short answer is that when an SNMP query goes out and a response doesn't come back, MRTG has to assume something to put in the graph, and by default it assumes that the last answer we got back is probably closer to the truth than zero. This assumption is not perfect (as you have noticed). It's a trade-off that happens to fail during a total outage. If this is an unacceptable trade-off, use the unknaszero option. You may want to know what you're trading off, so in the spirit of trade-offs, here's the long answer: The problem is that MRTG doesn't know *why* the data didn't come back, all it knows is that it didn't come back. It has to do something, and it assumes it's a stray lost packet rather than an outage. Why don't we always assume the circuit is down and use zero, which will (we think) be more nearly right? Well, it turns out that you may be taking advantage of MRTG's "assume last" behaviour without being aware of it. MRTG uses SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) to collect data, and SNMP uses UDP (User Datagram Protocol) to ship packets around. UDP is connectionless (not guaranteed) unlike TCP where packets are tracked and acknowledged and, if needed, retransmitted. UDP just throws packets at the network and hopes they arrive. Sometimes they don't. One likely cause of lost SNMP data is congestion; another is busy routers. Other possibilities include transient telecommunications problems, router buffer overflows (which may or may not be congestion-related), "dirty lines" (links with high error rates), and acts of God. These things happen all the time; we just don't notice because many interactive services are TCP-based and the lost packets get retransmitted automatically. In the above cases where some SNMP packets are lost but traffic is flowing, assuming zero is the wrong thing to do - you end up with a graph that looks like it's missing teeth whenever the link fills up. MRTG interpolates the lost data to produce a smoother graph which is more accurate in cases of intermittent packet loss. But with V2.8.4 and above, you can use the "unknaszero" option to produce whichever graph is best under the conditions typical for your network. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.17.4 2012-01-12 MRTG-FAQ(1)