Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How do I add a log file path to a vi file to monitor all the changes made to the file? Post 303042992 by vbe on Wednesday 15th of January 2020 08:13:51 AM
Old 01-15-2020
Exporting in the environment variable PATH a file name is searching for trouble...

Quote:
how do I add an empty log file (test1.log) to an existing text file to monitor all the changes made to a.txt.
It is unclear to me what you are wanting to achieve, usually you add/use a log file to trace what a program is doing or not... what you seem to be after is more like a history of a file...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash tail monitor log file

Hi there, I have a problem here that involves bash script since I was noob in that field. Recently, I have to monitor data involve in logs so I just run command tail -f for the monitoring. The logs was generate every hour so I need to quickly change my logs every time the new hour hits according... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriezo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log file and execute command

I would like to monitor a log file using a shell script and as soon as a line with a certain string in it appears I would like to run a program. I have been playing around with doing this using tail -f, but cannot get it to work. I found something similar here:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danielsbrewer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor the pattern in the log file

hi All, how to find a pattern in the log file & display the above and below line for example in the log file, i have many lines, whenever i search for "Category" it should display the above line with only few parameter like i want only the location name & department name Thu Jul 02 11:05:23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rithick256
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor dynamic log file for a particular Error

Hi Folks, I need help in creating a script to monitor a continuously updating log for one particular error. If the the script finds the error it should send out an email. Thanks for all ur help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a12ka4
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continiously monitor the log file

Hi Friends, I am trying to write a script which continiously monitor one specific error message from a log file. This script should continiously monitor the file for the error and send out the email when detect the error message. I tried the below command but fails. Please help me. tail -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Script to monitor /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file

AM in need of some plugin/script that can monitor HP-UX file "/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log" . Have written a scrip in sh shell that is working fine for syslog.log and mail.log as having standard format, have interrogated that to Nagios and is working as I required . But same script failed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log file for a Error and generate the e-mail.

This is my log file and this is live log. Any abnormal error other than following I need to generate the email. Log path : /DER/app/admin/ABC/bdump/erg.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 0: /ora2/oradata/ABC/redo02a.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hishanms
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor log file for a Error and generate the e-mail ( Please help)

This is my log file and this is live log. Any abnormal error other than following I need to generate the email. Log path : /DER/app/admin/ABC/bdump/erg.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 0: /ora2/oradata/ABC/redo02a.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 1:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hishanms
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor log file

Hi, Have written a script to monitor linux non standard log file based on line numbers, so each check store $otalinenum .. then in next check after 10 minutes it compre the current_total_line_num > last_total_line_num then it will parse the log file from last_total_line_num to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log file

Hi, I need to amend an existing ksh script so that it runs a process (stop weblogic) and in parallel needs to monitor a log file (startup.log) in the background for a certain string (e.g. unable to stop weblogic). If the string appears in the log i need to kill the stop weblogic process. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dholmaster
5 Replies
OCF_HEARTBEAT_LXC(7)						OCF resource agents					      OCF_HEARTBEAT_LXC(7)

NAME
ocf_heartbeat_lxc - Manages LXC containers SYNOPSIS
lxc [start | stop | monitor | meta-data | validate-all] DESCRIPTION
Allows LXC containers to be managed by the cluster. If the container is running "init" it will also perform an orderly shutdown. It is 'assumed' that the 'init' system will do an orderly shudown if presented with a 'kill -PWR' signal. On a 'sysvinit' this would require the container to have an inittab file containing "p0::powerfail:/sbin/init 0" I have absolutly no idea how this is done with 'upstart' or 'systemd', YMMV if your container is using one of them. SUPPORTED PARAMETERS
container The unique name for this 'Container Instance' e.g. 'test1'. (unique, required, string, no default) config Absolute path to the file holding the specific configuration for this container e.g. '/etc/lxc/test1/config'. (required, string, no default) log Absolute path to the container log file (optional, string, default /var/run/resource-agents/default.log) use_screen Provides the option of capturing the 'root console' from the container and showing it on a separate screen. To see the screen output run 'screen -r {container name}' The default value is set to 'false', change to 'true' to activate this option (optional, boolean, default false) SUPPORTED ACTIONS
This resource agent supports the following actions (operations): start Starts the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 10. stop Stops the resource. Suggested minimum timeout: 30. monitor Performs a detailed status check. Suggested minimum timeout: 20. Suggested interval: 60. validate-all Performs a validation of the resource configuration. Suggested minimum timeout: 20. meta-data Retrieves resource agent metadata (internal use only). Suggested minimum timeout: 5. EXAMPLE
The following is an example configuration for a lxc resource using the crm(8) shell: primitive p_lxc ocf:heartbeat:lxc params container=string config=string op monitor timeout="20" interval="60" depth="0" SEE ALSO
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/lxc_(resource_agent) AUTHOR
Linux-HA contributors (see the resource agent source for information about individual authors) resource-agents UNKNOWN 03/09/2014 OCF_HEARTBEAT_LXC(7)