Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Enye issue filenaming and path Post 303042900 by vbe on Friday 10th of January 2020 04:26:23 AM
Old 01-10-2020
Quote:
tried to transfer files from my windows to linux server via scp with filename MONTAÑO.txt and access thru putty
I would add to zxmaus comment that windows does not use ascii natively except when fiddling in a ascii text terminal... windows tends to use a MS... UTF(X) that looks like something between UTF8 and UTF16, I had some (hmmm many...) cases of that sort of data corruption in files coming from other sources and language, and had to correct to the best using some awk and lots of sed... and never sure I will not get another unknown variant...
So avoid using such characters when dealing with file names, variables or in paths...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

PATH issue on linux

If PATH is set to ../bin:../sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin (chunk of path string). Sometime when I try to execute ls command it says ../bin/ls not found. According to my understanding "ls" should be searched in all the path varibales that we set in the PATH varaibale. Is there any reason for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issue with PATH

hello On Debian Lenny, I first ran apt-get install git-core and then removed it to install from source. The trouble is that when I typed git --version, I am get: -bash: /usr/bin/git: No such file or directory of course, git is now in /usr/local/bin I don't understand why since... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PLease HELP!!! PATH variable issue

Hello, I logged in to the unix solaris with my user name and then I again logged in with the sudo bash -l command now when I do echo $PATH It shows me => /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin How do i find out where is this file located for setting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddhans
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

LaunchAgent file path issue

This is weirdly a linux question I suppose. Im having a problem with this code the file path is fine if I don't use the ~ and put in the user /Users/tempuser/.... This will be installed on more than one computer and changing the plist for every install is going to become tedious. Is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prompt path display issue

I use the following command to print the current directory above the command prompt set prompt="`exec pwd`\n$USER@`hostname -s` %B: % > " The output is something like this <current path> $USER@hostname > But when I try to CD to any other directory and press the return key, the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - variable to be set to windows path issue

Greetings Experts, I need to pass a parameter to ksh and the value is windows path eg: sh abc.txt C:\Users\chill3chee\Desktop No matter I try with \ delimiter, still could not get this exact value assigned to the shell variable which was checked with echo. Tried with using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

9. AIX

issue AIX MPIO path closed

Hello, I have encountered the issue on my AIX 6.1. As you can see below, the hdisk1 & hdisk8 are not recognized by the system / > lspv hdisk0 00fa6d1288c820aa rootvg active hdisk1 00fa6d1288c8213c None hdisk2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
dos2unix(1)							    2010-04-03							       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX and vice versa text file format converter SYNOPSIS
dos2unix [options] [-c CONVMODE] [-o FILE ...] [-n INFILE OUTFILE ...] unix2dos [options] [-c CONVMODE] [-o FILE ...] [-n INFILE OUTFILE ...] DESCRIPTION
The Dos2unix package includes utilities "dos2unix" and "unix2dos" to convert plain text files in DOS or MAC format to UNIX format and vice versa. Binary files and non-regular files, such as soft links, are automatically skipped, unless conversion is forced. Dos2unix has a few conversion modes similar to dos2unix under SunOS/Solaris. In DOS/Windows text files line endings exist out of a combination of two characters: a Carriage Return (CR) followed by a Line Feed (LF). In Unix text files line endings exists out of a single Newline character which is equal to a DOS Line Feed (LF) character. In Mac text files, prior to Mac OS X, line endings exist out of a single Carriage Return character. Mac OS X is Unix based and has the same line endings as Unix. OPTIONS
-c, --convmode CONVMODE Set conversion mode. Where CONVMODE is one of: ascii, 7bit, iso, mac with ascii being the default. -f, --force Force conversion of all files. Also binary files. -h, --help Display online help. -k, --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -L, --license Display software license. -l, --newline Add additional newline. dos2unix: Only DOS line endings are changed to two Unix line endings. In Mac mode only Mac line endings are changed to two Unix line endings. unix2dos: Only Unix line endings are changed to two DOS line endings. In Mac mode Unix line endings are changed to two Mac line endings. -n, --newfile INFILE OUTFILE ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lose your files. -o, --oldfile FILE ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -q, --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V, --version Display version information. CONVERSION MODES
Conversion modes ascii, 7bit, and iso are similar to those of dos2unix/unix2dos under SunOS/Solaris. ascii dos2unix: In this mode DOS line endings are converted to Unix line endings. Unix and Mac line endings are not changed. unix2dos: In this mode Unix line endings are converted to DOS line endings. DOS and Mac line endings are not changed. Although the name of this mode is ASCII, which is a 7 bit standard, the actual mode is 8 bit. mac dos2unix: In this mode Mac line endings are converted to Unix line endings. DOS and Unix line endigs are not changed. You can also use the command "mac2unix" to run dos2unix in Mac mode. unix2dos: In this mode Unix line endings are converted to Mac line endings. DOS and Mac line endigs are not changed. You can also use the command "unix2mac" to run unix2dos in Mac mode. 7bit In this mode DOS line endings are converted to Unix line endings or vice versa. All 8 bit non-ASCII characters (with values from 128 to 255) are converted to a space. iso In this mode DOS line endings are converted to Unix line endings or vice versa. Characters are converted between the DOS character set (code page) CP437 and ISO character set ISO-8859-1 on Unix. CP437 characters without ISO-8859-1 equivalent, for which conversion is not possible, are converted to a dot. The same counts for ISO-8859-1 characters without CP437 counterpart. CP437 is mainly used in the USA. In Western Europe CP850 is more standard. Another option to convert text files between different encodings is to use dos2unix in combination with iconv(1). Iconv can convert between a long list of character encodings. Some examples: Convert from DOS DOSLatinUS to Unix Latin-1 iconv -f CP437 -t ISO-8859-1 in.txt | dos2unix > out.txt Convert from DOS DOSLatin1 to Unix Latin-1 iconv -f CP850 -t ISO-8859-1 in.txt | dos2unix > out.txt Convert from Windows WinLatin1 to Unix Latin-1 iconv -f CP1252 -t ISO-8859-1 in.txt | dos2unix > out.txt Convert from Windows WinLatin1 to Unix UTF-8 (Unicode) iconv -f CP1252 -t UTF-8 in.txt | dos2unix > out.txt Convert from Windows UTF-16 (Unicode) to Unix UTF-8 (Unicode) iconv -f UTF-16 -t UTF-8 in.txt | dos2unix > out.txt Convert from Unix Latin-1 to DOS DOSLatinUS unix2dos < in.txt | iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t CP437 > out.txt Convert from Unix Latin-1 to DOS DOSLatin1 unix2dos < in.txt | iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t CP850 > out.txt Convert from Unix Latin-1 to Windows WinLatin1 unix2dos < in.txt | iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t CP1252 > out.txt Convert from Unix UTF-8 (Unicode) to Windows WinLatin1 unix2dos < in.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t CP1252 in.txt > out.txt Convert from Unix UTF-8 (Unicode) to Windows UTF-16 (Unicode) unix2dos < in.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt See also <http://czyborra.com/charsets/codepages.html> and <http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html>. UNICODE
Unicode files can be encoded in different encodings. On Unix/Linux Unicode files are mostly encoded in UTF-8 encoding. UTF-8 is ASCII compatible. UTF-8 files can be in DOS, Unix or Mac format. It is safe to run dos2unix/unix2dos on UTF-8 encoded files. On Windows mostly UTF-16 encoding is used for Unicode files. Dos2unix/unix2dos should not be run on UTF-16 files. UTF-16 files are automatically skipped, because it are binary files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix dos2unix -l -c mac Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ascii conversion mode. dos2unix a.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ascii conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in 7bit conversion mode. dos2unix a.txt -c 7bit b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c 7bit b.txt Convert a.txt from Mac to Unix format. dos2unix -c mac a.txt mac2unix a.txt Convert a.txt from Unix to Mac format. unix2dos -c mac a.txt unix2mac a.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt LOCALIZATION
LANG The primary language is selected with the environment variable LANG. The LANG variable consists out of several parts. The first part is in small letters the language code. The second is optional and is the country code in capital letters, preceded with an underscore. There is also an optional third part: character encoding, preceded with a dot. A few examples for POSIX standard type shells: export LANG=nl Dutch export LANG=nl_NL Dutch, The Netherlands export LANG=nl_BE Dutch, Belgium export LANG=es_ES Spanish, Spain export LANG=es_MX Spanish, Mexico export LANG=en_US.iso88591 English, USA, Latin-1 encoding export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 English, UK, UTF-8 encoding For a complete list of language and country codes see the gettext manual: <http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Language-Codes> On Unix systems you can use to command locale(1) to get locale specific information. LANGUAGE With the LANGUAGE environment variable you can specify a priority list of languages, separated by colons. Dos2unix gives preference to LANGUAGE over LANG. For instance, first Dutch and then German: "LANGUAGE=nl:de". You have to first enable localization, by setting LANG (or LC_ALL) to a value other than "C", before you can use a language priority list through the LANGUAGE variable. See also the gettext manual: <http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#The-LANGUAGE-variable> For Esperanto there is a special language file in x-method format. X-method can be used on systems that don't support Latin-3 or Unicode character encoding. Make LANGUAGE equal to "eo-x:eo". If you select a language which is not available you will get the standard English messages. DOS2UNIX_LOCALEDIR With the environment variable DOS2UNIX_LOCALEDIR the LOCALEDIR set during compilation can be overruled. LOCALEDIR is used to find the language files. The GNU default value is "/usr/local/share/locale". Option "-V" will display the LOCALEDIR that is used. Example (windows cmd): set DOS2UNIX_LOCALEDIR=c:/my_prefix/share/locale AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) - <wuebben@kde.org> Erwin Waterlander - <waterlan@xs4all.nl> Project page: <http://www.xs4all.nl/~waterlan/dos2unix.html> SourceForge page: <http://sourceforge.net/projects/dos2unix/> Freshmeat: <http://freshmeat.net/projects/dos2unix> SEE ALSO
iconv(1) dos2unix 2010-03-23 dos2unix(1)