Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to process a list of items and uncomment lines with that item in a second file Post 303042875 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 9th of January 2020 04:51:46 AM
Old 01-09-2020
Or do all in bash - here is a well documented bash version:
Code:
#! /bin/bash
# bash v3 or higher

# file with list of items to find in modify_file
list_file=$1
# file for which a modified copy will be created
modify_file=$2
# final output file
new_file='new_'$modify_file

echo "reading values from '$list_file'"
# clear (and implicityly declare) an array
list=()
while read line
do
  echo "adding '$line' to list"
  list+=("$line")
done < $list_file

echo "reading '$modify_file'"
# loop through all the lines in the list_file
while IFS= read -r line <&3
do
   # look for the value in the current line
   # if the value is found on a line, print the substring of $0 skipping the first character
   # otherwise just print the line

echo "processing line $((++linecnt))"
    # preset the new line
   outline=$line
   # loop through the array values
   for i in "${list[@]}"
   do
      look_for="'$i'"
      # =~ is ERE match, == is glob match
      # $look_for in quotes --> do not interpret special characters in it
      #if [[ $line =~ "$look_for" ]]
      if [[ $line == *"$look_for"* ]]
      then
         outline=${line:1}
         # further matches will do the same, so we can break the loop here
         break
      fi
   done
   # print the new line
   printf "%s\n" "$outline" >&4
done 3< "$modify_file" 4> "$new_file"

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 01-09-2020 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: break added, cosmetic changes
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve what the currently selected item is in a dropdown select list using perl tk

I have a dropdown menu built in perl tk (I am using active state perl). I want to select a value from the dropdown menu and I want to be able to perform some other actions depending upon what value is selected. I have all the graphical part made but I dont know how to get the selected value. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and uncomment a line with Shell Script

Requirement is: 1. comment and uncomment the line with Shell Script: /opt/admin/fastpg/bin/fastpg.exe -c -=NET (using fastpg.exe as a search option) 2. display = "Commented" (when its commented) and display = "Uncommented" (when its uncommented) Its urgent, please let me asap!!! Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyraj75
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed regarding first 3 items in the list

Hi, I've a list in the following format: Empdept filedetails buildingNo Area AAA 444 2 juy AAA 544 2 kui AAA 567 4 poi AAA 734 5 oiu AAA 444 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skpvalvekar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List content of item in the combobox

I have a combo.cgi here. this is linux environment What i am going to do is this combobox will list down all the flatfile name in this /u/test/cgi-bin/List directory. after that, i wanted it to open the flatfile and display the content of the flatfile into another listbox or textarea in this page... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chezy
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Split lines into array - variable line items - variable no of lines.

Hi, I have the following lines that I would like to see in an array for easy comparisons and printing: Example 1: field1,field2,field3,field4,field5 value1,value2,value3,value4,value5Example 2: field1,field3,field4,field2,field5,field6,field7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines from a file being used by another process using SHELL script

Hi All, Need a small help in writing a shell script which can delete a few lines from a file which is currently being used by another process. File gets appended using tee -a command due to which its size is getting increased. Contents like : 25/09/2012 05:18 Run ID:56579677-1 My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil8
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easiest way to comment/uncomment a shell script?

cd path line1 line2 line3 line4 line5 Lets say thats the sample script...So say if i have to comment the above script, which would be the better way so that whenever i want, i cud comment or uncomment the same. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a script to grep items in one file from another file

I have one master file "File1" with all such info in it. I need to grep each object under each list from another file "File2". Can anyone help me with a script for this. File 1 ------ List 1 Object 1 Object 2 List 2 Object 3 Object 1 List 3 Object 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sam R
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass an array to awk to sequentially look for a list of items in a file

Hello, I need to collect some statistical results from a series of files that are being generated by other software. The files are tab delimited. There are 4 different sets of statistics in each file where there is a line indicating what the statistic set is, followed by 5 lines of values. It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies
gst-complete-0.8(1)						   User Commands					       gst-complete-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-complete-0.8, gst-complete - perform bash completion for gst-launch command lines SYNOPSIS
complete -Cgst-complete-0.8 gst-launch gst-complete [--gst-list-mm] [--gst-mm=string] [--print] DESCRIPTION
gst-complete-0.8 enables bash to provide context-sensitive tab completion for gst-launch command lines. See gst-launch(1) for the syntax of gst-launch command lines. You must have a version of bash that supports programmable completion. Such versions of bash provide the complete built-in command. gst-complete is a wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X. For example, if both gst-complete-0.7 and gst- complete-0.8 are installed on your system, gst-complete runs gst-complete-0.8. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-complete-0.8 and gst-complete: --help Display detailed usage message. You can also use -? to specify this option. The following options are supported by gst-complete only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating the Registry of Available Plugins by Running gst-compprep Run the following command in your .bash_profile or other appropriate place: example% complete -C gst-complete-0.8 gst-launch Example 2: Running the Wrapper Script and Displaying the Command Name example% gst-complete --print /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.8 FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.Executable for bash completion for gst-launch /usr/bin/gst-complete Wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-launch-ext(1), gst-md5sum(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst- typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-complete-0.8(1)