Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Extract directory path from a parameter Post 303042856 by wtolentino on Wednesday 8th of January 2020 01:00:40 PM
Old 01-08-2020
that works thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the path of a file when it is passed as ....filename(parameter) to script

hi unix guru's..................:confused: question is posted in the #3 permalink shown below. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract directory from a file path

Im trying to extract a directory from a path entered by the user Lets say the path is path=/home/bliss/files/myfile.txt i wanna extract "/home/bliss/files" from $path ... how can i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrudula009
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract path within path

Hi, I have a environmental variables, ORACLE_HOME=/u01/oracle/ORCL/db/tech/10.2.0 ORACLE_SID=ORCL Now I need to create a variable and need to extract some part from ORACLE_HOME. I need to get the path from ORACLE_HOME till ORACLE_SID as /u01/oracle/ORCL. I may need to check also... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract and replace with parameter value?

Hi, I have a function getparam() which takes parameter name as input and parameter value as output. I have a strting like this, abcd#paramname1#efgh#paramname2#ijklmnopq Above one is my input, The strting enclosed in # are the parameter names. Here question is, I have to get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
fiocompress(1M) 					  System Administration Commands					   fiocompress(1M)

NAME
fiocompress - file compression utility SYNOPSIS
/sbin/fiocompress -c [-m] [-b block_size] input_file output_file /sbin/fiocompress -d input_file output_file DESCRIPTION
The fiocompress utility is a file compression tool that works together with the dcfs(7FS) file system to perform per-file compression. You can use fiocompress to decompress a compressed file or mark a compressed file as compressed, causing automatic decompression on read. The primary use of fiocompress is to compress files in the boot archive. Note that this utility is not a Committed interface. See attributes(5). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b block_size Specify a block size for compression. The default block size is 8192. -c Compress the specified file. -d Decompress the specified file. -m Mark the compressed file for automatic decompression on read. Can be used only in conjunction with -c. EXIT STATUS
0 The command completed successfully. -1 The command exited due to an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Private | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boot(1M), bootadm(1M), dcfs(7FS), ufs(7FS), attributes(5) NOTES
This compression/decompression utility works only with files stored in a UFS file system. There is no obvious way to determine whether a given file is compressed, other than copying the file and comparing the number of disk blocks of the copy against the original. SunOS 5.11 10 Dec 2008 fiocompress(1M)