Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to convert \n character to newline in UNIX. Post 303042708 by wisecracker on Friday 3rd of January 2020 05:09:35 PM
Old 01-03-2020
The perfect example to RudiC's post #6...
OSX 10.14.6 default bash terminal...

Code:
Last login: Fri Jan  3 13:50:35 on console
AMIGA:amiga~> set
IFS=$' \t\n'
AMIGA:amiga~> _

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert ^M appearing at end of line to unix newline?

How to convert ^M appearing at end of line to unix newline? As I have tried with ^M in 'tr' it replaced ^ to a newline. Thanks in advance. (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
21 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why convert 8 space to 1 tab character on unix?

Hi everybody, I'm using Hp unix tru64. I have generate one file from shell script. bus that file content pre "8 space char" convert one tab character. why? result file hex format: hex 20 20 20 20 20 to 09 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlg13team
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newline character

hi, I want to print the below lines "Message from bac logistics The Confirmation File has not been received." When i give like this in the code "Message from bac logistics\n The Confirmation File has not been received." It is giving only Message from bac logistics\n The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo without newline character

hi, I have a for loop where in I write some file name to another file. I want to write all the filenames to another without any newlines. how can i avoid getting new lines with echo? Thanks, Srilaxmi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to convert ~ in a file to newline

Hi, I have a .txt file which has a tilde(~) in it. All that I want is to break into a newline whenever there is an occurence of '~'. I have tried SED to do that but I could not succeed. I would appreciate if I can get a shell script(ksh) for this problem real quick. Thanks in advance. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntekupal
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newline character in a variable

variable="unix\nlinux" echo $variable expected output: unix linux :wall: can i do that ?? thanks in advance!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathish92
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing by newline character

I have a file (pema)with a single long record which i have to break up into multiple lines Input s1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas1bbbbbbbbbbs1cccccccccc Output s1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa s1bbbbbbbbbb s1cccccccccc m planning to do it by replacing s1 by \ns1 \n is the new line character i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pema.yozer
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert ascii character values to number that comes between the numbers in UNIX

I have variable that contains multiple values of number and also include overpunch(i.e. # $ % etc) character so we want to replace it with numbers. here are the example: Code: 11500#.0# 28575$.5$ 527#.7# 42".2" 2794 .4 2279!.9! 1067&.7& 926#.6# 2279!.9! 885".5" 11714$.4$ 27361'.1'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadeemrafikhan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)