Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string Post 303042691 by jcdole on Friday 3rd of January 2020 01:06:22 PM
Old 01-03-2020
Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello.

First best wishes for everybody.

here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents :
Code:
BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() {  local -a L_ARRAY;
BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() {  local -a L_ARRAY;
BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() {  local -a L_ARRAY;
BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() {  local -a L_ARRAY;

This simple sed command works well for some kind of tokens.
These tokens work well

Code:
TOKEN1="^BASH_FUNC_"
TOKEN2="\%\%\=\(\)"
#
# # between but excluding TOKEN1 and TOKEN2
#
sed -e 's/'$TOKEN1'\(.*\)'$TOKEN2'.*/\1/'  "$INPUT1"

Which return :
Code:
message_begin_script
message_debug
message_end_script
message_error

Another working example
Code:
#
# # between but including TOKEN1 and excluding TOKEN2
#
sed -e 's/\('$TOKEN1'.*\)'$TOKEN2'.*/\1/'  "$INPUT1"

which return
Code:
BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script
BASH_FUNC_message_debug
BASH_FUNC_message_end_script
BASH_FUNC_message_error

Now I have another token2 of this kind : TOKEN2="local -a L_ARRAY"
And I got an error
Code:
TOKEN1="^BASH_FUNC_"
TOKEN2="local -a L_ARRAY"
#
# # between but excluding TOKEN1 and TOKEN2
#
sed -e 's/'$TOKEN1'\(.*\)'$TOKEN2'.*/\1/'  "$INPUT1"

Code:
sed -e 's/'^BASH_FUNC_'\(.*\)'local -a L_ARRAY'.*/\1/'  "/tmp/MY_INPUT1.txt" 
sed: -e expression #1, char 24: unterminated `s' command

I have tried to escape space and '-' without success
Any help is welcome

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can i get a substring from a string?

for example, the string a is "abcdefg", can i get a substring "bcd" (from ato a) from string a? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the substring from the string

Hi All, Can anybody help me to get the substring from the given string. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring starting from last occurance of a string/character

Hi All, This is Ram. I'm new to this forum & new to shell scripts as well. I've a requirement in which I want to extract a substring from a given string based on last occurance of a character. for eg. I have a string of a file name with absolute path like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krramkumar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting particular string in a file and storing matched string in output file

Hi , I have input file and i want to extract below strings <msisdn xmlns="">0492001956</ msisdn> => numaber inside brackets <resCode>3000</resCode> => 3000 needs to be extracted <resMessage>Request time getBalances_PSM.c(37): d out</resMessage></ns2:getBalancesResponse> => the word... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from string

Hi awk and sed gurus, Please help me in the following. I have the following entries in the file ABCDErules AbHDPrules ABCrules -- -- and other entries in the file. Now, I want to extract from the file that contain entries for *rules and process it separately. How can i do it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring from a string in unix

Hi, I would like to extract a substring from a string in unix. eg: ./checkfile.sh -- i need only checkfile.sh from this string. Could someone help me out in this... Regards Arun (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting a substring from the input string

Hi, I am new to Unix. I am trying to extract a substring from an input string: Ex - input string: deploy_v11_9_1 i want to extract and store the value v11_9_1 from the input string in a new variable. I am using following command in my shell script file: echo "Enter the folder name u... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
5 Replies
WCSTOK(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 WCSTOK(3)

NAME
wcstok - split wide-character string into tokens SYNOPSIS
#include <wchar.h> wchar_t *wcstok(wchar_t *wcs, const wchar_t *delim, wchar_t **ptr); DESCRIPTION
The wcstok() function is the wide-character equivalent of the strtok(3) function, with an added argument to make it multithread-safe. It can be used to split a wide-character string wcs into tokens, where a token is defined as a substring not containing any wide-characters from delim. The search starts at wcs, if wcs is not NULL, or at *ptr, if wcs is NULL. First, any delimiter wide-characters are skipped, that is, the pointer is advanced beyond any wide-characters which occur in delim. If the end of the wide-character string is now reached, wcstok() returns NULL, to indicate that no tokens were found, and stores an appropriate value in *ptr, so that subsequent calls to wcstok() will continue to return NULL. Otherwise, the wcstok() function recognizes the beginning of a token and returns a pointer to it, but before doing that, it zero-terminates the token by replacing the next wide-character which occurs in delim with a null wide character (L''), and it updates *ptr so that subsequent calls will continue searching after the end of recognized token. RETURN VALUE
The wcstok() function returns a pointer to the next token, or NULL if no further token was found. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+---------+ |wcstok() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +----------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C99. NOTES
The original wcs wide-character string is destructively modified during the operation. EXAMPLE
The following code loops over the tokens contained in a wide-character string. wchar_t *wcs = ...; wchar_t *token; wchar_t *state; for (token = wcstok(wcs, " ", &state); token != NULL; token = wcstok(NULL, " ", &state)) { ... } SEE ALSO
strtok(3), wcschr(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2015-08-08 WCSTOK(3)