Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX change ulimit for a user
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX change ulimit for a user Post 303042630 by zxmaus on Wednesday 1st of January 2020 08:59:30 PM
Old 01-01-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokedude
I only set nofiles = 64000. Do you think that is to high? I was just using the above as an example.
64k is fine - its very unlikely that oracle will have this many files open at the same time anyways (which is what this tunable determines) as the Database itself is in just a number of large .dbf files. In addition they will have some text files and libraries open - but I doubt the user oracle even owns 64.000 files Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Handling User Id Change in AIX

Hi, I have a query that suppose the first or last name of the user changes and we need to change its userid for aix too. Then in that case how do we handle this scenario??I guess we can't change the user id so we should re-create the new id and associate all the data of the old id. But I donno... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tintin@10
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make ulimit change permanent

ulimit -a gives the following output:$ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097152 data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 32768 nofiles(descriptors) 400 vmemory(kbytes) 147456 Abot output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

3. AIX

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version?

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
3 Replies

4. AIX

Increase the filesize ulimit for a user?

Hi Guys, How do I increase the filesize ulimit for user jf01474, using the same value as of user oracle? Ex: /etc/security/limits default: fsize = 4194302 core = 2097151 cpu = -1 data = 262144 rss = 65536 stack = 65536 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_lark02
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

change ulimit fsize permanantly

Hi, on HP-UX when I run command ulimit -a I get time(seconds) 4096 file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 8192 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 4194303 nofiles(descriptors) 4096 Now I want to change file(blocks) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namita.mundada
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX user ID and group ID change

Hello AIX gurus, I have a requirement where I have to change user ID of user "myuser" from 100 to 200 and also the group ID of "mygroup" from 2 to 3. Please note that "myuser" has "mygroup" as it's primary group. What steps do I need to follow for this and in what order? Also can you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 6.1 Kernal Parameters ulimit

Hello, How can I setup the ulimit for memory permanent ulimit -m unlimited ulimit -a Output from the ulimit command should be similar to the following:time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 2097152 stack(kbytes) 32768... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX User Change Log

Hello All, If a user in AIX is locked due to multiple failed login attempts. How do I find out the IP address from where failed attempts were made? regards, Roshni (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

setting ulimit for a user

The root user runs the following ulimit -a | grep open and gets a result of open files (-n) 8162 A user runs the same command and gets a result of open files (-n) 2500 How can you set the ulimit of the user to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
2 Replies

10. AIX

What are the ideal ulimit settings for root user in AIX?

Hi, what are the ideal/best/recommended ulimit settings for a root user in AIX? I understand that it depends on our environment. But I would like to know...what are settings you guys use in your environment for best performance. default: fsize = 2097151 core = 2097151 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
8 Replies
ninode(5)							File Formats Manual							 ninode(5)

NAME
ninode - maximum number of HFS file system open inodes that can be in memory VALUES
Failsafe Default The default value is computed at runtime and depends on the amount of physical memory on the system. For small memory systems (less than 1GB), the default is 4880. For systems with more than 1GB of memory, the default is 8192, or 8K. Allowed values The minimum value allowed is 14. The maximum value allowed is memory limited. Specify a positive integer value. DESCRIPTION
The tunable defines the number of slots in the HFS inode table. This number limits the number of open inodes that can be in memory for HFS file systems at any given time. The inode table is used as a cache memory. For performance reasons the most recent (number of) open inodes are kept in main memory. The table is hashed. Each unique open file has an open inode associated with it. Therefore, the larger the number of unique open files, the larger should be. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? This tunable is only relevant on systems where there are HFS file systems mounted. Note that the use of HFS file systems is being depre- cated in HP-UX. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is static. Any changes to the value of this tunable will require system reboot to take effect. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? This value of many need to be raised on systems running applications that expect large numbers of open files on HFS file systems. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? The HFS inode table is statically allocated, therefore will consume more memory if the value of this tunable is raised. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? The value of can be lowered on systems with small or no mounted HFS file systems, to reduce memory consumption. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? The number of open HFS inodes that can be kept in memory is bound to the new lower limit. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. The tunable is relevant only on systems with HFS file systems. Note that the use of HFS file systems is being deprecated in HP-UX. This and other HFS related tunable parameters may be removed from future HP-UX releases. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2). Tunable Kernel Parameters ninode(5)