Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX change ulimit for a user
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX change ulimit for a user Post 303042604 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 1st of January 2020 05:14:11 AM
Old 01-01-2020
The point is: set a real limit.
"Unlimted" means a process is allowed to consume all system resources. And a buggy/wild/looping process could do so.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Handling User Id Change in AIX

Hi, I have a query that suppose the first or last name of the user changes and we need to change its userid for aix too. Then in that case how do we handle this scenario??I guess we can't change the user id so we should re-create the new id and associate all the data of the old id. But I donno... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tintin@10
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make ulimit change permanent

ulimit -a gives the following output:$ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097152 data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 32768 nofiles(descriptors) 400 vmemory(kbytes) 147456 Abot output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

3. AIX

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version?

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
3 Replies

4. AIX

Increase the filesize ulimit for a user?

Hi Guys, How do I increase the filesize ulimit for user jf01474, using the same value as of user oracle? Ex: /etc/security/limits default: fsize = 4194302 core = 2097151 cpu = -1 data = 262144 rss = 65536 stack = 65536 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_lark02
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

change ulimit fsize permanantly

Hi, on HP-UX when I run command ulimit -a I get time(seconds) 4096 file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 8192 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 4194303 nofiles(descriptors) 4096 Now I want to change file(blocks) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namita.mundada
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX user ID and group ID change

Hello AIX gurus, I have a requirement where I have to change user ID of user "myuser" from 100 to 200 and also the group ID of "mygroup" from 2 to 3. Please note that "myuser" has "mygroup" as it's primary group. What steps do I need to follow for this and in what order? Also can you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 6.1 Kernal Parameters ulimit

Hello, How can I setup the ulimit for memory permanent ulimit -m unlimited ulimit -a Output from the ulimit command should be similar to the following:time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 2097152 stack(kbytes) 32768... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX User Change Log

Hello All, If a user in AIX is locked due to multiple failed login attempts. How do I find out the IP address from where failed attempts were made? regards, Roshni (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

setting ulimit for a user

The root user runs the following ulimit -a | grep open and gets a result of open files (-n) 8162 A user runs the same command and gets a result of open files (-n) 2500 How can you set the ulimit of the user to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
2 Replies

10. AIX

What are the ideal ulimit settings for root user in AIX?

Hi, what are the ideal/best/recommended ulimit settings for a root user in AIX? I understand that it depends on our environment. But I would like to know...what are settings you guys use in your environment for best performance. default: fsize = 2097151 core = 2097151 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
8 Replies
vlimit(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 vlimit(3)

Name
       vlimit - control maximum system resource consumption

Syntax
       #include <sys/vlimit.h>

vlimit(resource, value)

Description
       This facility has been superseded by

Limits  the  consumption by the current process and each process it creates to not individually exceed value on the specified resource.	If
       value is specified as -1, then the current limit is returned and the limit is unchanged.  The resources which  are  currently  controllable
       are:

LIM_NORAISE    Pseudo-limit; if set nonzero then the limits may not be raised.  Only the super-user may remove the noraise restriction.

LIM_CPU	      The maximum number of cpu-seconds to be used by each process.

LIM_FSIZE      The largest single file which can be created.

LIM_DATA       The maximum growth of the data+stack region via beyond the end of the program text.

LIM_STACK      The maximum size of the automatically-extended stack region.

LIM_CORE       the size of the largest core dump that will be created.

LIM_MAXRSS     a  soft  limit for the amount of physical memory (in bytes) to be given to the program.  If memory is tight, the system will
		      prefer to take memory from processes which are exceeding their declared LIM_MAXRSS.

Because this information is stored in the per-process information this system call must be executed directly by	the  shell  if	it  is	to
       affect all future processes created by the shell; limit is thus a built-in command to

The  system  refuses to extend the data or stack space when the limits would be exceeded in the normal way.  A break call fails if the data
       space limit is reached, or the process is killed when the stack limit is reached.  Since the stack cannot be extended, there is no  way	to
       send a signal.

A file I/O operation which would create a file which is too large will cause a signal SIGXFSZ to be generated, this normally terminates the
       process, but may be caught.  When the cpu time limit is exceeded, a signal SIGXCPU is sent to the offending process; to allow  it  time	to
       process the signal it is given 5 seconds grace by raising the cpu time limit.

Restrictions
       If LIM_NORAISE is set, then no grace should be given when the CPU time limit is exceeded.

See Also
       csh(1)

vlimit(3)