Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX change ulimit for a user
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX change ulimit for a user Post 303042604 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 1st of January 2020 05:14:11 AM
Old 01-01-2020
The point is: set a real limit.
"Unlimted" means a process is allowed to consume all system resources. And a buggy/wild/looping process could do so.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Handling User Id Change in AIX

Hi, I have a query that suppose the first or last name of the user changes and we need to change its userid for aix too. Then in that case how do we handle this scenario??I guess we can't change the user id so we should re-create the new id and associate all the data of the old id. But I donno... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tintin@10
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make ulimit change permanent

ulimit -a gives the following output:$ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097152 data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 32768 nofiles(descriptors) 400 vmemory(kbytes) 147456 Abot output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

3. AIX

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version?

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
3 Replies

4. AIX

Increase the filesize ulimit for a user?

Hi Guys, How do I increase the filesize ulimit for user jf01474, using the same value as of user oracle? Ex: /etc/security/limits default: fsize = 4194302 core = 2097151 cpu = -1 data = 262144 rss = 65536 stack = 65536 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_lark02
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

change ulimit fsize permanantly

Hi, on HP-UX when I run command ulimit -a I get time(seconds) 4096 file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 8192 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 4194303 nofiles(descriptors) 4096 Now I want to change file(blocks) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namita.mundada
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX user ID and group ID change

Hello AIX gurus, I have a requirement where I have to change user ID of user "myuser" from 100 to 200 and also the group ID of "mygroup" from 2 to 3. Please note that "myuser" has "mygroup" as it's primary group. What steps do I need to follow for this and in what order? Also can you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 6.1 Kernal Parameters ulimit

Hello, How can I setup the ulimit for memory permanent ulimit -m unlimited ulimit -a Output from the ulimit command should be similar to the following:time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 2097152 stack(kbytes) 32768... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX User Change Log

Hello All, If a user in AIX is locked due to multiple failed login attempts. How do I find out the IP address from where failed attempts were made? regards, Roshni (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

setting ulimit for a user

The root user runs the following ulimit -a | grep open and gets a result of open files (-n) 8162 A user runs the same command and gets a result of open files (-n) 2500 How can you set the ulimit of the user to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
2 Replies

10. AIX

What are the ideal ulimit settings for root user in AIX?

Hi, what are the ideal/best/recommended ulimit settings for a root user in AIX? I understand that it depends on our environment. But I would like to know...what are settings you guys use in your environment for best performance. default: fsize = 2097151 core = 2097151 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
8 Replies
getrlimit(2)							System Calls Manual						      getrlimit(2)

Name
       getrlimit, setrlimit - control maximum system resource consumption

Syntax
       #include <sys/time.h>
       #include <sys/resource.h>

getrlimit(resource, rlp)
       int resource;
       struct rlimit *rlp;

setrlimit(resource, rlp)
       int resource;
       struct rlimit *rlp;

Description
       Limits on the consumption of system resources by the current process and each process it creates can be obtained with the call and set with
       the call.

The resource parameter is one of the following:

RLIMIT_CPU	the maximum amount of cpu time (in milliseconds) to be used by each process.

RLIMIT_FSIZE	the largest size, in bytes, of any single file that may be created.

RLIMIT_DATA	the maximum size, in bytes, of the data segment for a process.	This limit defines how far a program can extend its  break
			with the system call.

RLIMIT_STACK	the  maximum size, in bytes, of the stack segment for a process.  This limit defines how far a program's stack segment can
			be extended, either automatically by the system or explicitly by a user, with the system call.

RLIMIT_CORE	the largest size, in bytes, of a core file that may be created.

RLIMIT_RSS	the maximum size, in bytes, to which a process's resident set size may grow when there is a shortage of free physical mem-
			ory.   Exceeding  this	limit  when  free physical memory is in short supply results in an unfavorable scheduling priority
			being assigned to the process.

A resource limit is specified as a soft limit and a hard limit.	When a soft limit is exceeded, a process may receive a signal  (for  exam-
       ple,  if  the cpu time is exceeded), but it will be allowed to continue execution until it reaches the hard limit (or modifies its resource
       limit).	The system uses just the soft limit field of the resources RLIMIT_CORE and RLIMIT_RSS. The rlimit structure is used to specify the
       hard and soft limits on a resource, as shown:
       struct rlimit {
	    int  rlim_cur; /* current (soft) limit */
	    int  rlim_max; /* hard limit */
       };

Only  the  superuser  may  raise  the maximum limits.  Other users may alter rlim_cur within the range from 0 to rlim_max or (irreversibly)
       lower rlim_max.

An "infinite" value for a limit is defined as RLIM_INFINITY (0x7fffffff).

Because this information is stored in the per-process information, this system call must be executed directly by the  shell  if	it  is	to
       affect all future processes created by the shell; limit is thus a built-in command to

The  system  refuses  to extend the data or stack space when the limits would be exceeded in the normal way: a break call fails if the data
       space limit is reached, or the process is killed when the stack limit is reached.  Because the stack cannot be extended, there is no way to
       send a signal.

A  file	I/O  operation	that  creates  too  large a file causes the SIGXFSZ signal to be generated. This condition normally terminates the
       process, but may be caught.  When the soft cpu time limit is exceeded, a signal SIGXCPU is sent to the process.

Return Values
       A 0 return value indicates that the call succeeded, changing or returning the resource limit.   A return value  of  -1  indicates  that	an
       error occurred, and an error code is stored in the global location errno.

Environment
   System Five
       When your program is compiled in the System V environment, the SIGXFSZ signal is not generated.

Diagnostics
       The call fails under the following conditions:

[EFAULT]       The address specified for rlp is invalid.

[EPERM]	      The limit specified to would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the superuser.

[EINVAL]       Resource is greater than or equal to RLIM_NLIMITS.

See Also
       csh(1), quota(2)

getrlimit(2)