Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Grep command to show the number of results Post 303042557 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 29th of December 2019 01:30:45 PM
Old 12-29-2019
Number of lines? Is the -n option. According to my interpretation.
An example can clarify things...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrent results between command line and scripted grep

When I type a command at the command line it supplies one result and the exact same command in a script egrep '^01|^02|^03|^04' file > fileout count = 29353 same count in the script yields a count of 23492 is there any reason this could be happening. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

My ps -ef|grep command results are chopped off

On our one HP-UX 11i box, we have some very long paths defined. When I want to check on our user processes running, the resulting paths are chopped off. /xyz/abc/123/......./server/b is really a process running in the ..../server/bin directory. Is this a terminal problem or buffer length... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsp18974
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ps results - to show user's ps only

hi! how do i make ps results to only shows what's owned by users current job/background process only currently when users issuing ps: I just wanted the result when the user is issuing ps aux is same as when they're doing ps x like this: (which shows result on user's current background... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdns
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting grep -c results number in a variable

I want to display "no results found" if a grep search of a name that the user inputs is not found anywhere in a certain file, Right now I have this, but doesn't seem to work. Im not sure what to change. read name results=grep -c $name file if ; then echo "No results found." exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdude
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show date/time with tail|grep command

Hi, I have a log file without date/time, and I want that everytime tail|grep find something it displays the date/time and the line. I have tried something like this command but without any luck to display the date/time: tail -F catalina.out | sed "s/^/`date `/" | egrep ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: julugu
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe results of Grep Command to LS Comand

I'm using the command grep -l XYZ to get a list of files containing the string XYZ. Then I using the comand ls -l ABC to get the create date timestamp of the each file. I've tried combining the comands using the pipe command, grep -l XYZ | ls -l, but its not working. What am I doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhtate
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to show only process name

Can I modify the grep command to show only a process name? Currently I run ps -efa | grep chk_web to get the following: mousr 3395 1 0 09:36:06 pts/10 0:00 sh /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh Can this be changed in any way to get only: /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh or chk_web.sh. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Acting on results from a grep command

Hi, I am currently reading a tar file and searching for a particular word using grep e.g. Plane. At the moment, if a sentence is found with the word "Plane" the sentence itself is piped to another file. Here is the code i am using; for jar in 'cat jar_file.tar'; do tar -tvf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchie
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get results from grep command

Hi, i have a file hello.log which as several line that look like the below 2015-12-07 09:46:56 0:339 120.111.12.12 POST /helloWorld 2015-12-07 09:46:57 0:439 122.111.12.12 POST /helloWorld .... when i grep expecting to see results like the below. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
NL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     NL(1)

NAME
nl -- line numbering filter SYNOPSIS
nl [-p] [-b type] [-d delim] [-f type] [-h type] [-i incr] [-l num] [-n format] [-s sep] [-v startnum] [-w width] [file] DESCRIPTION
The nl utility reads lines from the named file or the standard input if the file argument is omitted, applies a configurable line numbering filter operation and writes the result to the standard output. The nl utility treats the text it reads in terms of logical pages. Unless specified otherwise, line numbering is reset at the start of each logical page. A logical page consists of a header, a body and a footer section; empty sections are valid. Different line numbering options are independently available for header, body and footer sections. The starts of logical page sections are signaled by input lines containing nothing but one of the following sequences of delimiter charac- ters: Line "Start of" ::: header :: body : footer If the input does not contain any logical page section signaling directives, the text being read is assumed to consist of a single logical page body. The following options are available: -b type Specify the logical page body lines to be numbered. Recognized type arguments are: a Number all lines. t Number only non-empty lines. n No line numbering. pexpr Number only those lines that contain the basic regular expression specified by expr. The default type for logical page body lines is t. -d delim Specify the delimiter characters used to indicate the start of a logical page section in the input file. At most two characters may be specified; if only one character is specified, the first character is replaced and the second character remains unchanged. The default delim characters are ``:''. -f type Specify the same as -b type except for logical page footer lines. The default type for logical page footer lines is n. -h type Specify the same as -b type except for logical page header lines. The default type for logical page header lines is n. -i incr Specify the increment value used to number logical page lines. The default incr value is 1. -l num If numbering of all lines is specified for the current logical section using the corresponding -b a, -f a or -h a option, specify the number of adjacent blank lines to be considered as one. For example, -l 2 results in only the second adjacent blank line being num- bered. The default num value is 1. -n format Specify the line numbering output format. Recognized format arguments are: ln Left justified. rn Right justified, leading zeros suppressed. rz Right justified, leading zeros kept. The default format is rn. -p Specify that line numbering should not be restarted at logical page delimiters. -s sep Specify the characters used in separating the line number and the corresponding text line. The default sep setting is a single tab character. -v startnum Specify the initial value used to number logical page lines; see also the description of the -p option. The default startnum value is 1. -w width Specify the number of characters to be occupied by the line number; in case the width is insufficient to hold the line number, it will be truncated to its width least significant digits. The default width is 6. EXIT STATUS
The nl utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
pr(1) STANDARDS
The nl utility conforms to X/Open Portability Guide Issue 4, Version 2 (``XPG4.2'') with the exception of not supporting the intermingling of the file operand with the options, which the standard considers an obsolescent feature to be removed from a further issue. HISTORY
The nl utility first appeared in AT&T System V Release 2 UNIX. BSD
February 15, 1999 BSD