Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to copy particular files from a multiple directories and paste in a new directory? Post 303042516 by MadeInGermany on Friday 27th of December 2019 01:37:37 PM
Old 12-27-2019
Your problem is the wrong destination in the cp command; it must be dir/file.
Together with a few improvements:
Code:
a=1
for i in */dnaG.fasta
do
  cp "$i" fastcancatg/"$a"_"$i" 
  a=$(( a + 1 ))
done

Previous suggestion should work as well. But a Posix count=$((count+1)) is better portable.

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 12-27-2019 at 02:44 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy multiple files in different directories

I have a report file that is generated every day by a scheduled process. Each day the file is written to a directory named .../blah_blah/Y07/MM-DD-YY/reportmmddyy.tab I want to copy all of this reports to a separate directory without having to do it one by one. However, if I try cp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken2834
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files after their directory name in multiple sub directories

So I am not sure if this should go in the shell forum or in the beginners. It is my first time posting on these forums. I have a directory, main_dir lets say, with multiple sub directories (one_dir through onehundred_dir for example) and in each sub directory there is a test.txt. How would one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotsbite
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/Paste data in files

Hi, I want to put the following values into Variables R2=0.999863 , V2=118.870318 , D2=-178.887511 and so on. There are six values for each variable R2-R8, V2-V8 and D2-D8, total of 18 values for all the variables. Can any one help me to copy and paste all the values in their respective... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sullah
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy one folder to multiple directories

Hello, I have a small question and i hope someone can help me, if i have 200 domains directories in my server under this directory something like now how i can copy one folder i have to this directories? Thank You (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GamGom
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from multiple directories into one directory without overwriting them

I have several directories and all those directories have .dat files in them. I want to copy all those .dat files to one directory say "collected_directory" The problem is I don't want to overwrite files. So, if two file names match, I don't want the old file to be overwritten with a new one. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP failed to copy mulitple files from multiple directory

I am using below scripts to copy all the files from multiple folders. By executing individually command i am able to copy all the files but using scripts only getting first file. System is ignoring the second CD and mget command. HOST=server.com USER=loginid PASSWD="abc" echo "open $HOST... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetvipin
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files/directories excluding multiple paterns

my directory structure is like below: basedir\ p.txt q.htm r.java b\ abc.htm xyz.java c\ p.htm q.java rst.txt my requirement is i want to copy all the files and directories... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files from multiple directories along with directory indicator

Hi, Friends, i have a requirement where i need to rename my files residing in multiple sub directories and move them to one different directory along with some kind of directory indicator. For eg: test--is my parent directory and it has many files such as a1.txt a2.txt a3.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy a column of multiple files and paste into new excel file (next to column)?

I have data of an excel files as given below, file1 org1_1 1 1 2.5 100 org1_2 1 2 5.5 98 org1_3 1 3 7.2 88 file2 org2_1 1 1 2.5 100 org2_2 1 2 5.5 56 org2_3 1 3 7.2 70 I have multiple excel files as above shown. I have to copy column 1, column 4 and paste into a new excel file as... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
26 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
mencal(1)								 1								 mencal(1)

NAME
mencal - menstruation calendar SYNOPSIS
mencal [options] [file1 file2 ... -c CONF1 -c CONF2 ...] DESCRIPTION
Display options: -m, --monday draw monday as first weekday (sunday is default) -1 current month (default) -3 previous, current and next month -y [YYYY] all-year calendar (default YYYY is current year) -q, --quiet no top information will be printed -n, --nocolor noncolored output -i, --icolor COLOR intersection color (default red) available colors: red, green, blue, yellow, violet, cyan, shiny, bold mencal configuration: -c, --config s=[YYYY]MMDD,l=LL,d=DD,n=NAME,f=FILE,c=COLOR The second argument is a comma separated list of options. No spaces are allowed in this list. If no name is specified, 'Unknown' is used. Various -c options or filenames can be set. s,start=[YYYY]MMDD start day of period (default current day) l,length=LL length of period in days (default 28) d,duration=D duration of menstruation in days (default 4) n,name=NAME name of subject f,file=FILE filename to save configuration to (see section FILES) only menstruation related variables will be saved c,color=COLOR color used for menstruation days available colors: red, green, blue, yellow, violet, cyan, shiny, bold default color is red, with '-n' switch color settings are ignored Info options: -h, --help print help -V, --version print version information FILES
: $HOME/.mencalrc - the default configuration file that is automatically loaded AUTHOR
: (C) 2002 C. McCohy e-mail: <mccohy@kyberdigi.cz> Word-Wide-Web: http://www.kyberdigi.cz/projects/mencal/english This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page (but may be used by others). HISTORY
22 March 2002 - Originally written by Amaya Rodrigo <amaya@debian.org>. 24 Apr 2002 - New manpage contributed by Pablo S. Torralba <psanchez@skyrealms.org>. Amaya Rodrigo <amaya@debian.org> is now responsible for developing and maintaining this manual page. Comments and suggestions are greatly wellcome. mencal Menstruation calendar mencal(1)