Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers High Memory threshold notification script Post 303042505 by Scrutinizer on Friday 27th of December 2019 07:57:08 AM
Old 12-27-2019
Then you can disregard the stuff about older Linux versions, so check the difference between "free memory" and "available memory", plus the remarks by Neo and I about numerical comparisons..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to find and kill a process with high memory utilization

Hi Unix Gurus i am somewhat new to unix scripting so need your help to create a script as below. # This script would find the process consuming memory beyond a certain #limit. if the meemory consumption is more than 100% for a period of 1 # minute for the specific process. the script would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinforlinux
0 Replies

2. Solaris

How to change CPU threshold high temperature

Hi, I have a NETRA 240 server wich should work on high temperature environment (up to 50 deg celsius). After reaching ~48 deg, the system is shuting down. The HighShutDownThreshold of the CPU is set to 89 deg The PowerOffThreshold of the CPU is set to 96 deg Please help me to change these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danielz
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

11.31 System Memory too high

Hello, I noticed very high system memory utilization on my new 11.31 Itanium systems. System memory is more than 11GB on 32 GB system. Comparing this to 11.23 it's more than double ... How do I find out what is using it? Is there a way to reduce it? Thank you, Kubo (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trunecm1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in high memory usage alert script

can any one please help me to shell script high memory usage alert (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
6 Replies

5. Solaris

zone breaching 'capped-memory' threshold

Calling upon all Solaris zone experts. I have a Sun T3-1 that is running a few whole-root zones. I've set the 'capped-memory' setting on all the zones. However, I have a problem on the one zone. Under load it uses more memory that has been allocated to it. zonecfg -z sunrep02 export ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Threshold for swap memory

hi guys the monitoring team is using a tool for monitoring linux boxes and they set an alarm for swap memory to 10%(critical) I really has no idea when swap memory usage is high.... Can someone recommend me a threshold for this? when is warning or critical and this parameters can affect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job and shell script to kill a process if memory gets to high

Hello, I'd like to set a cron job that runs a shell script every 30 minutes or so to restart a java based service if the memory gets above 80%. Any advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance! - Ryan (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
19 Replies

8. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

9. Solaris

High Memory Utilization

Hello Guys, I have one Solaris server with high memory utilization >90%. As per checking, below is the output for memory usage. bash-3.00# ps -efo pmem,uid,pid,ppid,pcpu,comm | sort -r %MEM UID PID PPID %CPU COMMAND 1.7 29496 20668 1 0.0 /opt/app/iw-home/tools/java/bin/java 1.5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myrpthidesis
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How the free memory threshold?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking for an explanation of Solaris memory manager. You'd better ask Oracle that question because you are talking about Solaris kernel internals. The operating system kernel has no reason to kick a process's memory set out of real memory until... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies
SHM_OVERVIEW(7) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   SHM_OVERVIEW(7)

NAME
shm_overview - overview of POSIX shared memory DESCRIPTION
The POSIX shared memory API allows processes to communicate information by sharing a region of memory. The interfaces employed in the API are: shm_open(3) Create and open a new object, or open an existing object. This is analogous to open(2). The call returns a file descriptor for use by the other interfaces listed below. ftruncate(2) Set the size of the shared memory object. (A newly created shared memory object has a length of zero.) mmap(2) Map the shared memory object into the virtual address space of the calling process. munmap(2) Unmap the shared memory object from the virtual address space of the calling process. shm_unlink(3) Remove a shared memory object name. close(2) Close the file descriptor allocated by shm_open(3) when it is no longer needed. fstat(2) Obtain a stat structure that describes the shared memory object. Among the information returned by this call are the object's size (st_size), permissions (st_mode), owner (st_uid), and group (st_gid). fchown(2) To change the ownership of a shared memory object. fchmod(2) To change the permissions of a shared memory object. Versions POSIX shared memory is supported since Linux 2.4 and glibc 2.2. Persistence POSIX shared memory objects have kernel persistence: a shared memory object will exist until the system is shut down, or until all pro- cesses have unmapped the object and it has been deleted with shm_unlink(3) Linking Programs using the POSIX shared memory API must be compiled with cc -lrt to link against the real-time library, librt. Accessing shared memory objects via the filesystem On Linux, shared memory objects are created in a (tmpfs(5)) virtual filesystem, normally mounted under /dev/shm. Since kernel 2.6.19, Linux supports the use of access control lists (ACLs) to control the permissions of objects in the virtual filesystem. NOTES
Typically, processes must synchronize their access to a shared memory object, using, for example, POSIX semaphores. System V shared memory (shmget(2), shmop(2), etc.) is an older shared memory API. POSIX shared memory provides a simpler, and better designed interface; on the other hand POSIX shared memory is somewhat less widely available (especially on older systems) than System V shared memory. SEE ALSO
fchmod(2), fchown(2), fstat(2), ftruncate(2), mmap(2), mprotect(2), munmap(2), shmget(2), shmop(2), shm_open(3), shm_unlink(3), sem_over- view(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2016-12-12 SHM_OVERVIEW(7)