Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Rename file in directory using contents within each file Post 303042498 by RavinderSingh13 on Friday 27th of December 2019 06:35:53 AM
Old 12-27-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezabudka
Hi
You can try with one command
Code:
awk '/FORMAT/ {system("mv "FILENAME" "$10)}' *.vcf

Hello nez,

How are you?
I hope you are doing fine Smilie

For your this solution, if you ask me IMHO we could avoid using renaming of a Input_file with system while reading Input_file itself could cause issues. Since Input_file is being read and we are renaming it.

IMHO, I would go with approach where will check for string FORMAT in line and print the rename shell command(I am hoping each Input_file should have only 1 rename because once Input_file which is being read is renamed can't be find again in system, since no same name file is existing now).

So what I am doing here is I am printing shell commands by same condition used in your provided code as follows:

Code:
awk '/FORMAT/{print "if [[ -n " s1 FILENAME s1 " ]]; then      echo " s1 "Input_file named " FILENAME " is already present." s1 "; else      mv " s1 FILENAME s1 OFS $10"; fi"}' *.vcf

For a sample file named file3 output will be as follows.

Code:
if [[ -n file3 ]]; then      echo Input_file named file3 is already present.; else      mv file3 ; fi

Now above will print rename commands, if OP is happy with above commands we could use | bash to raname them.

Code:
awk '/FORMAT/{print "if [[ -n " s1 FILENAME s1 " ]]; then      echo " s1 "Input_file named " FILENAME " is already present." s1 "; else      mv " s1 FILENAME s1 OFS $10"; fi"}' *.vcf | bash

Apologies if I missed here something, I thought to give my views here, cheers Smilie

Thanks,
R. Singh
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED To insert Directory Contents to file

I am on a HP-UX machine I have a directory called "/u01/blobs" and the files look like this: ls -1 7398 7399 7400 I need to produce a comma delimited file with the following format: filename,location/filename i.e: 7398,/u01/blobs/7398 7399,/u01/blobs/7399 7400,/u01/blobs/7400 What... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NomDeGuerre
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and use contents to rename another

Hello guys, thank God that I found this forum. I hope that someone can help me because I don't have any idea on how to start it. I know that for some of you this is a very simple task but I'm not as advance on shell scripting like many people out there. I got this file with a permanent... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shark Tek
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that will move a file to a directory with the same name and then rename that file

Hello all. I am new to this forum (and somewhat new to UNIX / LINUX - I started using ubuntu 1 year ago).:b: I have the following problem that I have not been able to figure out how to take care of and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.:confused: I have all of my music stored in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with searching for a file in a directory and copying the contents of that file in a new file

Hi guys, I am a newbie here :wall: I need a script that can search for a file in a directory and copy the contents of that file in a new file. Please help me. :confused: Thanks in advance~ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zel2zel
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file names in a directory

I hope some one can help me I have multiple files in a directory with out extension like as below mentioned. But i want to change all the file names along .DDMMYYYYHHMISS format. And all files should have same DDMMYYYYHHMISS. Scenario: direcory name = /vol/best/srcfiles files in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari001
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename last directory in a file structure

I have to write a script to rename the every last sub-directory in a directory structure if the last sub-directory name doesn't contain "submitted". eg: given directory path:/u01/home/somedir somedir can have many subdirectories and each subdirectory inturn has many subdirectories. somedir... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read contents in each file and rename the file?

Hello All, Can you help me in writing a script for reading the specific position data in a file and if that data found in that file that particular file should be renamed. Ex: Folder : C:\\test and Filename : CLSACK_112214.txt,CLSACK_112314.txt,CLSACK_112414.txt Contents in the file would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanduedi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename the file name from Parent directory

Hi All, Just started learning unix and stuck into below issue. Suppose i have folder structure as below. Dir1/Dir2/Dir3/File1.msg I am looking to rename the file name from File1.msg to File2.msg but from the parent Dir1 From Dir3 i can easily run the command like mv File1.msg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurjeet Singh
2 Replies