Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A terrific quote:
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? A terrific quote: Post 303042461 by zxmaus on Thursday 26th of December 2019 12:54:40 AM
Old 12-26-2019
I pass on this one. My brain is not made for programming. Though I think I can handle pretty much everything else pretty well, and I am now nearing 34 years working in various fields in IT, I just pass on scripting on everything longer than a very long one-liner. Not for lack of trying. I do understand scripts in various scripting languages well enough to debug them, to adjust them to my needs and to expand them if necessary. But I could not write one on my own if my life depends on it. Does this make me dumb? Smilie
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to zxmaus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Data between first quote and next quote

I have input file like RDBMS FALIURE UTY8703 'USER_WORK.TEST' .HIghest return code '12' I want to parse data which comed between first quote till next quote USER_WORK.TEST can you please suggest how to do that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

double-quote inside double-quote

hey all, i made a simple .sh like this: echo "<style media="screen" type="text/css">@import url("main.css");</style>" but the output is: <style media=screen type=text/css>@import url(main.css);</style> i want to keep double-quotes, can anyone help me? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indraf
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quote and variable

The command line bellow works fine by itself. /opt/csw/bin/rsync -azq --delete -e "ssh -i /.ssh/ss" /home/ me@myaccount.storage.com:/home/ Now I would like to introduce some variable into it and make a .sh file such as bellow and it does not work anymore. I guess the part -e "ssh -i /.ssh/ss" has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngungo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a quote in some lines with multiple quote fields

i want to replace mistaken quotes in line starting with tag 300 and relocate the quote in the correct position so the input is 223;25 224;20100428064823;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;8;1;3;9697;18744;;;;;;;;;;;; 300;X;Event:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wradwan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

quote problem

Hi Everyone hwo are you i have one file "abc.txt" which contains record like this "1","2","3" "3","4","5" now i want to change above 2 to 5 so i write the code as awk ' BEGIN{FS=","} { if(NR==1) { print $1",5","$3 } else { print $0 } ' abc.txt but the outpute is "1",5,"3"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To quote or not

My question is, "Do I not understand, or is my information out of date?" I am trying to just be a student, rtfm'ing. I am working on my work systems. Is it simply that the book was printed in 2002 and a lot has changed since then, or did I miss something? Working in Korn Shell. I have been... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: g.j.huebschman
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Double Quote in Double Quote incsv file

Hi All , We have source data file as csv file and since data could contain commas ,each attribute is quoted into double quotes.However problem is that some of the attributa data also contain double quotes which is converted to double double quote while creating csv file XLs data : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shalini Badal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

A terrific historical video about UNIX circa 1982 with well known names.

Enjoy folks... AT&T Archives: The UNIX Operating System - YouTube (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
IWGETID(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							IWGETID(8)

NAME
iwgetid - Report ESSID, NWID or AP/Cell Address of wireless network SYNOPSIS
iwgetid [interface] [--raw] [--scheme] [--ap] [--freq] [--mode] [--protocol] [--channel] DESCRIPTION
iwgetid is used to find out the NWID, ESSID or AP/Cell Address of the wireless network that is currently used. The information reported is the same as the one shown by iwconfig, but iwgetid is easier to integrate in various scripts. By default, iwgetid will print the ESSID of the device, and if the device doesn't have any ESSID it will print its NWID. The default formatting output is pretty-print. OPTIONS
--raw This option disables pretty-printing of the information. This option is orthogonal to the other options (except --scheme), so with the appropriate combination of options you can print the raw ESSID, AP Address or Mode. This format is ideal when storing the result of iwgetid as a variable in Shell or Perl scripts or to pass the result as an argument on the command line of iwconfig. --scheme This option is similar to the previous one, it disables pretty-printing of the information and removes all characters that are not alphanumerics (like space, punctuation and control characters). The resulting output is a valid Pcmcia scheme identifier (that may be used as an argument of the command cardctl scheme). This for- mat is also ideal when using the result of iwgetid as a selector in Shell or Perl scripts, or as a file name. --ap Display the MAC address of the Wireless Access Point or the Cell. --freq Display the current frequency or channel used by the interface. --channel Display the current channel used by the interface. The channel is determined using the current frequency and the frequency list pro- vided by the interface. --mode Display the current mode of the interface. --protocol Display the protocol name of the interface. This allows to identify all the cards that are compatible with each other and accept the same type of configuration. This can also be used to check Wireless Extension support on the interface, as this is the only attribute that all drivers support- ing Wireless Extension are mandated to support. SEE ALSO
iwconfig(8), ifconfig(8), iwspy(8), iwpriv(8). wireless-tools 02 December 2003 IWGETID(8)