Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Arduino UNIX Time - Syncing Computer UNIX Time to Arduino Time with Python Post 303042425 by Neo on Tuesday 24th of December 2019 03:34:02 AM
Old 12-24-2019
Also, on macOS, I added this to launchd so it would sync the unix time with the Arduino UNO on startup:

Code:
macOS:LaunchDaemons# ls -l *neo*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  453 Dec 24 15:30 com.neo.startup.plist

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>com.neo.startup</string>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
                <string>/usr/bin/python</string>
                <string>/usr/local/bin/neo/checkArduino.py</string>
        </array>
        <key>StartInterval</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Code:
macOS:LaunchDaemons# launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.neo.startup.plist

Unfortunately, because this python script is not a "proper" macOS launch daemon, it will not "keep alive", so I still use cron for that. Maybe I'll find a way to fix this later. Maybe I need to move it to LaunchScripts versus LaunchDaemons? Anyway.... think I'll "call it good" on the unix time sync experiment for now... and as we all know....

It's only rock and roll, and I like it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me!First time use UNIX.

I am assigned a programming work.It is my first time to use unix. The task is writing a shell script to interrogate the university Unix operating system to determine the number of "Runnable" processes at any given time.Then append the result,along with a time-stamp,on a log file. Also there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Provide Time Sync Using Nts-150 Time Server On Unix Network?

can anybody tel lme,how to instal NTS -150 on a unix network,it needs some patch to fetch time frm serve,,?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pesty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Unix Time to Standard Time

I have a list of interfaces and time the interface was last active. I can't figure out how to convert the time in the second column, Fa1/14 0 Se0/0/0 0 Fa1/11 0 Fa1/9 0 Fa1/0 0 Se0/0/1 1240401408 Gi1/0 0 Fa0/0 1240401408 Fa1/3 0 Fa1/8 0 Fa1/15 0 Fa1/13 0 Fa1/10 0 Fa1/1 0 Fa1/12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix time

how do i convert unix time to show normal eg i have unix time 1297702242 and i want it converted to normal time. how do i do that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get time duration between two human readable time stamp in Unix?

Here is two time I have: Jul 12 16:02:01 Jul 13 01:02:01 and how can I do a simple match to get difference between two time which is 09:00:00 Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ford99
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

9. Programming

Arduino-cli - Uploading to Unknown Chinese Arduino Boards using the Arduino Command Line Interface

In my further exploration of Arduino, today I decided to install the arduino-cli on my mac today. https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli I followed the instructions for macOS but when I got to this part: arduino-cli board list I got the dreaded "Unknown" Fully Qualified Board Name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
profiles.old(1) 					    BSD General Commands Manual 					   profiles.old(1)

NAME
profiles -- Profiles Tool SYNOPSIS
profiles [[-I | -R | -i] [-F file_path_to_profile | -]] [[-L] [-U username]] [[-r] [-p profile_id] [-u uuid] [-o output_file_path] [-Y shortname]] [-PHDdCchfvxVzYeN] DESCRIPTION
profiles allows you to install, remove or list configuration profiles, or to install provisioning profiles. Some commands may only work with elevated privileges, or for the current user. -I Install a configuration profile for a particular user from a profile file. -i Install a provisioning profile from a profile file. -V Verify a provisioning profile from a profile file. -R Remove a configuration profile for a particular user from a profile file. -r Remove a provisioning profile given a identifier and uuid. -L List configuration profile information for a particular user, or the current user if no Username was specified. -F Specify the file path to the profile file. Use '-' as the file path to input the configuration profile (not provisioning profile) XML plist via stdin. -U Specify the short username. If installing or removing a profile as root (or sudo), the designated user must be logged in. -H Returns whether configuration profiles are installed. -P List configuration profile information for everyone. -C List configuration profile information for the computer. -c List provisioning profile information. -p A profile identifier used to locate the configuration or provisioning profile. -u A uuid identifier used to locate the provisioning profile. The uuid must be in its canonical 36 character form. -z The profile removal password. If not specified and the profile requires a removal password, you will be prompted. -o The output file path for profile information (-L, -P, -C, -c) as a plist file. The path argument must be specified to use this option, Use 'stdout' to send this informaton to the console. File output will be written as an XML plist file, or you can use 'stdout-xml' to write XML to the console. The toplevel key will contain the user name, or _computerLevel for device or provisioning profile information. -h Displays help information. -v Enables verbose mode. A 'pass' or 'fail' indicator may also be displayed based on the command return status to stdout. -x Displays tool version number. The version is in the format x.yy, where x will change if new or incompatible commands are added. The version initially starts at 2.00 -f Automatically confirm any questions, or when used with -s, will retry startup profiles at each startup until successfully installed. -s Sets profile for startup. (Requires root privileges) -S Sync up and remove any configuration profiles that aren't assigned to any current local user. (Requires root privileges) -Y Specify the shortname of a local user that will be enrolled with MDM if the configuration profile being installed contains a MDM payload. Will only be used if the profile is being installed as root. -W Attempt to renew the certificates in an installed profile. -e Print the Device Enrollment configuration, if any, for the computer. Can be combined with the -o option to write output to a plist. -N Re-enable the user notifications for DEP enrollment. EXAMPLES
profiles -I -F /testfile.configprofile Installs the profile file 'testfile.mobileconfig' into current user. profiles -R -F /profiles/testfile2.configprofile Removes the profile file '/profiles/testfile2.mobileconfig' into the current user. profiles -H Returns whether or not configuration profiles are installed on the system. profiles -P Displays information on all installed configuration profiles on the system. profiles -L Displays information for installed profiles for the current user. profiles -L -o /outputfile Displays information for installed profiles for the current user and sends the output as a dictionary to /outputfile.plist. profiles -Lv Displays extended information for installed configuration profiles for the current user. profiles -R -p com.example.profile1 -z pass Removes any installed profiles with the identifier com.example.profile1 in the current user and using a removal password of 'pass'. profiles -s -F /startupprofile.mobileconfig -f Sets up the profile as a startup profile to be triggered at the next system startup time. If the profile can't be installed, it will try again at next startup time. profiles -I -F - < /configprofile.mobileconfig Installs the configuration profile read in from stdin. The stdin data must be a fully formed XML plist containing the configura- tion profile information. CAVEATS
Certain configuration profiles may be marked as a device profile (system) using the PayloadScope key. However, the profiles tool will ignore the PayloadScope key and install the profile based on how the profile is installed; either a user profile if installed from a user, or a device profile if installed from root (or sudo). If you are installing a profile as root, you may use the -U parameter to install or remove the profile for that active user. Specific payload dictionary information is not available since it may contain sensitive information. Non-sensitive information can be viewed using the System Report. Because this command line tool was not designed to ask for missing information, some profiles may fail to install properly. The only recourse is to insert the missing information before installing the configuration profile. The System Preferences application's Profiles pane is designed to handle the querying of missing information. Configuration profiles installed to the wrong user domain (user vs system) may not behave in the way you expect since the information may not be useful to that particular domain. For example, adding a Mail payload to the system domain will not do anything since Mail payloads must have a user account. Additionally, since profiles are stored by the user shortname and only stored on the local client, care should be taken to not install a profile that could be used by a same named local user. The profiles tool should only be used from the /usr/bin folder since certain operations are privileged and may fail if moved. SEE ALSO
profiles(1) macOS May 26, 2017 macOS