Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Print strings in bash in loop Post 303042348 by RudiC on Sunday 22nd of December 2019 08:27:43 AM
Old 12-22-2019
What's your shell and sed versions? Either of them may not like the \n notation and interprets it as a plain n... as you can see in falsennameTry a verbatim new line char:

Code:
sed 's/, name/\
name/g' file
name:Pages, path:/Applications/Pages.app, class:login item, kind:Application, hidden:false
name:Calculator, path:/System/Applications/Calculator.app, class:login item, kind:Application, hidden:true
name:Calendar, path:/System/Applications/Calendar.app, class:login item, kind:Application, hidden:false

Last edited by RudiC; 12-22-2019 at 09:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all between 2 strings

Hi All, I'm working on a large file and need to extract all data between 2 strings. I have seen many good solutions to threads almost like my problem but none that quite fit. This is all very new to me so any ideas would be really appreciated! (attempted to read sed and awk tutorials but got a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: soots
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all the lines between 2 specified strings

Hi All, I have a file in which i want to print all the lines between 2 defined strings. Ex- I have file with data as follows STEP1:- ----- has some 20 -30 lines of data STEP2:- ----- has some 20 -30 lines of data So i want to print those lines between STEP1 & STEP2. (line including STEP1)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print specific strings only

Hello, I have a file like this.. 2 168611167 STK39 STK39 --- 27347 "serine threonine kinase 39 (STE20/SPS1 homolog, yeast)" YES SNP_A-2086192 rs16854601 0.001558882 6 13670256 SIRT5 /// RPS4X SIRT5 --- 23408 /// 6191 "sirtuin (silent mating type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get strings on a file and print

hi all! i have a file like this lea 25 female dave 18 male jake 27 male and i want to have an output file like this my name is lea. i am 25. female my name is dave. i am 18. male my name is jake. i am 27. male thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help me!] print text between two strings

Deal All, I have problem for this: input file : "data.txt" R 240 585694.59946146.8 8.0 239 585694.09946134.3 8.0 238 585693.59946121.8 8.01R 237 585693.09946109.3 8.0 236 585692.59946096.9 8.0 235 585692.19946084.4 8.01R 234 585691.59946071.9 8.0 233 585691.09946059.5 8.0 232... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksin
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help me!] Print text between two strings

Deal All, I have problem for this: input file : "data.txt" R 240 585694.59946146.8 8.0 239 585694.09946134.3 8.0 238 585693.59946121.8 8.01R 237 585693.09946109.3 8.0 236 585692.59946096.9 8.0 235 585692.19946084.4 8.01R 234 585691.59946071.9 8.0 233 585691.09946059.5 8.0 232... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksin
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true

I have the following code and for some reason when I call the program using /home/tcdata/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/bash/raytrac.bash --cmod=jcdint.cmod I get hasArgument = hasArgument = true Somehow the array element is returning even though I have not chosen the option. ... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
41 Replies
sysdir(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 sysdir(3)

NAME
sysdir_start_search_path_enumeration, sysdir_get_next_search_path_enumeration -- Enumeration of the filesystem paths for the various standard system directories where apps, resources, etc. get installed. SYNOPSIS
#include <sysdir.h> sysdir_search_path_enumeration_state sysdir_start_search_path_enumeration(sysdir_search_path_directory_t dir, sysdir_search_path_domain_mask_t domainMask); sysdir_search_path_enumeration_state sysdir_get_next_search_path_enumeration(sysdir_search_path_enumeration_state state, char *path); DESCRIPTION
The sysdir API returns the various standard system directories where apps, resources, etc. get installed. Because queries can return multiple directories, the API is in the form of an enumeration. The directories are returned in search path order: that is, the first place to look is returned first. sysdir_start_search_path_enumeration() begins enumeration of the filesystem paths for the specified directory and domain(s). The return value should be passed to one or more calls to sysdir_get_next_search_path_enumeration() to obtain the filesystem path and continue the enu- meration. sysdir_get_next_search_path_enumeration() returns a filesystem path for the directory and domain(s) specified by the state value returned by sysdir_start_search_path_enumeration(). Subsequent calls to sysdir_get_next_search_path_enumeration() should pass the state value returned by the previous call to continue the enumeration in each domain. A state value of zero will be returned when all domains have been enumer- ated. The path buffer that is passed to sysdir_get_next_search_path_enumeration() will be filled with a null-terminated string, possibly containing as many as PATH_MAX-1 characters. Some directory paths returned may not exist on the filesystem. Some combinations of dir and domainMask may return no directory paths. Directory paths returned in the user domain will contain "~" to refer to the user's directory. The environment variable NEXT_ROOT is prepended as necessary to the returned directory paths. NEXT_ROOT is ignored if the process is setuid or is code signed with entitlements. DIRECTORY CONSTANTS
The following sysdir_search_path_directory constants are defined: SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_APPLICATION Supported applications (Applications) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_DEMO_APPLICATION Unsupported applications and demonstration versions (Applications/Demos) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_DEVELOPER_APPLICATION Developer applications (Developer/Applications) Deprecated: As of Xcode 4.3, there is no longer a Developer Application directory directory; instead, Xcode.app is a self-contained application that gets installed in the user's Applications directory, by default, although it can be put anywhere. SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_ADMIN_APPLICATION System and network administration applications (Applications/Utilities) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_LIBRARY Various user-visible documentation, support, and configuration files, resources (Library) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_DEVELOPER Developer resources (Developer) Deprecated: As of Xcode 4.3, there is no longer a Developer directory; instead, Xcode.app is a self-contained application that gets installed in the user's Applications directory, by default, although it can be put anywhere. SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_USER User home directories (Users) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_DOCUMENTATION Location of documentation (Library/Documentation) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_DOCUMENT Location of documents (Documents) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_CORESERVICE Location of core services (Library/CoreServices) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_AUTOSAVED_INFORMATION Location of user's autosaved documents (Library/Autosave Information) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_DESKTOP Location of user's desktop directory (Desktop) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_CACHES Location of discardable cache files (Library/Caches) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_APPLICATION_SUPPORT Location of application support files (Library/Application Support) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_DOWNLOADS Location of user's downloads directory (Downloads) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_INPUT_METHODS Location of input methods (Library/Input Methods) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_MOVIES Location of user's Movies directory (Movies) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_MUSIC Location of user's Music directory (Music) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_PICTURES Location of user's Pictures directory (Pictures) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_PRINTER_DESCRIPTION Location of system's PPDs directory (Library/Printers/PPDs) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_SHARED_PUBLIC Location of user's Public sharing directory (Public) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_PREFERENCE_PANES Location of the PreferencePanes directory for use with System Preferences (Library/PreferencePanes) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_ALL_APPLICATIONS All directories where applications can occur (/Applications, ~/Applications, /Applications/Utilities, etc) SYSDIR_DIRECTORY_ALL_LIBRARIES All directories where resources can occur (/Library, ~/Library, /Network/Library, etc) DOMAIN CONSTANTS
The following sysdir_search_path_domain_mask constants are defined: SYSDIR_DOMAIN_MASK_USER The user's home directory -- the place to install user's personal items (~) SYSDIR_DOMAIN_MASK_LOCAL Local to the current machine -- the place to install items available to everyone on this machine SYSDIR_DOMAIN_MASK_NETWORK Publically available location in the local area network -- the place to install items available on the net- work SYSDIR_DOMAIN_MASK_SYSTEM Provided by Apple -- can't be modified SYSDIR_DOMAIN_MASK_ALL All domains -- all of the above and future domains ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable affects the execution of sysdir_get_next_search_path_enumeration: NEXT_ROOT If the NEXT_ROOT environment variable is set and the current process is not tainted by uid or gid changes, NEXT_ROOT is prepended as necessary to the returned directory paths. NEXT_ROOT is ignored if the process is setuid or is code signed with entitlements. EXAMPLES
#include <limits.h> #include <sysdir.h> char path[PATH_MAX]; sysdir_search_path_enumeration_state state = sysdir_start_search_path_enumeration(dir, domainMask); while ( (state = sysdir_get_next_search_path_enumeration(state, path)) != 0 ) { // Handle directory path } HISTORY
The sysdir API first appeared in OS X 10.12, iOS 10, watchOS 3 and tvOS 10 replacing the deprecated NSSystemDirectories(3) API. Darwin December 22, 2015 Darwin