Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A nice YT video on A.I
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? A nice YT video on A.I Post 303042332 by Neo on Saturday 21st of December 2019 11:15:39 PM
Old 12-22-2019
I see....

In my view, this is the "problem" ....

Commercial organizations continue to show things about A.I. applications which make consumers "happy" and "feel good", like the examples you show. This creates tremendous and constant marketing hype about A.I.

However, what they do not show you is the horrible things that A.I. is actually doing and all the unintended consequences.

For example, all the recent rise in global instability, because of the exponential rise of disinformation, which in turn leads to the rise of hate crimes and political and social instability, is caused by A.I.-based targeting algorithms which enable the weaponization of information in society.

Were these facts discussed by cool movies stars in the video?

I don't think so.

The reason for this is that big tech companies are promoting A.I. because A.I. has one main purpose for them, to increase their profits.

For example, traditional print and broadcast news uses human editors to determine what to print or broadcast. This employee many people.

However, Facebook, Google and all the other gigantic tech companies do not want to hire the army of people it would take to correctly filter content on their social media platforms. Why? That would lead to a huge decease in their profits. That is why they are spending so much money on A.I.

• First, they want to fine tune targeting algorithms, which in turn means advertisers will pay more to advertise. This same technology is weaponized to spread disinformation and facilitates information warfare.
  • Second, they want to insure they do not have to use humans to read, edit and manage content on their social networks, because if they used people for this, they would be much less rich

So, if readers think "A.I. is so cool and wonderful" and anyone is "star struck" with the hype around A.I., they I suggest they look at what A.I. is actually doing to harm society, how A.I. is being users to maximize corporate profits and minimize human editors and content managers, and how A.I. is used to target people and organizations and spread disinformation, while at the same time increasing the profits of the same companies.

This is why big tech must make these "look how cool A.I." is videos. They must show people A.I. being used to help identify earthquakes, feed babies, identify forest fires, etc. so everyone (society) will support A.I. development. However, at the same time, the same technology is used to do great harm to human society, as a whole.

This is a fact.

Think about it.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Very Nice

Just a quick message to say great work to Neo and any others who have helped with the upgrade - the layout, appearance and functionality of this forum ROCKS. By far the best I have seen. Excellent! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
1 Replies

2. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

top and nice

Hi, I have two identical 12 CPU HPUX machines, and I run the same processes on each that load the boxes fully. top on one reports activity under the NICE (19%) and SYS (18%) columns, while top on the other reports 0% NICE and 16% SYS. What would cause NICE to be zero on one machine and not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBorgia
5 Replies

4. Linux

USB video capture? composite, s-video, etc

does anybody have any experience with any of these composite video to usb devices on linux? usb video capture - Google Product Search would like to get one but a linux newbie and having trouble figuring out if any are ported... i've found lots of things that link to freedesktop.org DisplayLink... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Video Cards :: Video Memory Intercept and Redirect

I need a broad spectrum understanding on this subject, and any help would be greatly appreciated. First of all, as I understand it... The way the video hardware works is the CPU sends information about input and possible changes to the display, the video card receives these changes, makes the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciNG
2 Replies