Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Why is editing a file by renaming the new one safer? Post 303042326 by nezabudka on Saturday 21st of December 2019 01:24:23 PM
Old 12-21-2019
Hi
If I correctly understood the decribed method for file system without copy-on-write on disk and logging

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Editing the end of the file without loading the entire file

hi! I am a newbee. I would really appreciate if you can answer the following question: I have a huge data file, 214MB with several coloumns. I need to delete the very last line of the file. Everything I know takes a lot of time to do it ( because I have to open the file in an editor or run a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garuda
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Nuclear Elephant iPhone Wipe making your iPhone Safer for Resale

For those with the iPhones here might read up how to wipe your personal data off the phone before reselling or trade-in. ;) source: Nuclear Elephant: iPhone Wipe June 1, 2008: Making your iPhone Safe for Resale Since my posts regarding the iPhone restore mode being insufficient for wiping... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
0 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Is M$ safer than UN*X(-LIKE)??

I know that you already know the answer to the question. It just springed in my mind after what happened yesterday. I was getting some books off of Amazon.com, since they are cheeper than bookstore, and my mother said something that made me laugh 'till I couldn't breathe. I have a Debian Lenny... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

4. Solaris

metaset - renaming /editing the set name - possible ?

Hi all I need to change my current metaset setname from lh-rms02ds to lh-lgwrms01ds. Is it possible ?? I know within veritas I do a vxedit, is there a way in SVM ? I notice theres a metarename, but this is for the metadevice level. Any tips ? help ?? Or do I need to delete /... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file editing while keeping file format intact

Hi, I am having a file which is fix length and comma seperated. And I want to replace values for one column. I am reading file line by line in variable $LINE and then replacing the string. Problem is after changing value and writing new file temp5.txt, formating of original file is getting... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mruda
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing line in text file adding number to value in file

I have a text file that has data like: Data "12345#22" Fred ID 12345 Age 45 Wilma Dino Data "123#22" Tarzan ID 123 Age 33 Jane I need to figure out a way of adding 1,000,000 to the specific lines (always same format) in the file, so it becomes: Data "1012345#22" Fred ID... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in editing a file

I have a file which has 10 million records in it. When am trying to edit the file with vi, the following error occurs: ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ "file1" Value too large for defined data type Is there any way that I can edit this file without using vi? Any help would be really appreciated.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

# /UNIX.org file deleting is safer or not

Hi All, Please tell me the use of # /Unix.org file it has reserved a huge disk space, I want to know is it safer to truncate or delete. Thanks - Rukshan.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rukshan4u2c
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert vi editing to text editing

Dear Guru's I'm using Putty and want to edit a file. I know we generally use vi editor to do it. As I'm not good in using vi editor, I want to convert the vi into something like text pad. Is there any option in Putty to do the same ? Thanks for your response. Srini (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
6 Replies
vollogcnvt(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     vollogcnvt(8)

NAME
vollogcnvt - Logical Storage Manager BCL-to-DRL logging conversion utility SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/vollogcnvt [-g diskgroup] OPTIONS
Limits the conversion of logging subdisks to volumes in the specified disk group. DESCRIPTION
The vollogcnvt script is a migration tool for Logical Storage Manager (LSM) administrators who are currently using the block-change logging (BCL) feature. Beginning with the Version 5.0 release of Tru64 UNIX, the BCL feature of LSM is being replaced with the dirty-region logging (DRL) feature. The vollogcnvt script attempts to convert volumes with BCL enabled to volumes with DRL enabled. If called without specifying a disk group, vollogcnvt attempts the BCL-to-DRL conversion for all volumes across all disk groups. If logging cannot be re-enabled in the DRL scheme, a warning is sent to the console. For volumes whose BCL subdisks will not work in the DRL scheme, logging is disabled. Log subdisks that cannot be converted to DRL will be disassociated from its volume only if at least one of the log subdisks for that volume could be converted. Otherwise, the configuration will not change and logging will be disabled. Those volumes that could not be converted, for example all of its log subdisks are too small, will have logging disabled. At system startup, the vollogcnvt script runs automatically and logs such errors to binlog and sends mail to root. This happens at each reboot until the DRL is manually converted or when logging is disabled. If the script runs at startup or manually, warnings are sent to the console. For details and guidelines on using DRL, refer to the Logical Storage Manager guide. SEE ALSO
binlogd(8), dia(8), volintro(8) vollogcnvt(8)