Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Tips/advise on alternative to doing egrep -v Post 303042266 by MadeInGermany on Friday 20th of December 2019 02:04:10 AM
Old 12-20-2019
I think your current concern is about overlong lines.
The | divider is an egrep thing.
In grep and fgrep you can have a newline.
Code:
fgrep -v "192.168.1.101
192.168.1.123" output.txt

But you should also be concerned about exactness.
The fgrep takes a dot as is, while in grep and egrep a dot means "any character". So fgrep is more exact here.
Still each search item can be a part of the whole, for example
fgrep "10.168.1.13" can find "10.168.1.13" and "110.168.1.13" and "10.168.1.136".

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am one of the newbies, please advise

I am new to UNIX and Linux. I have some experiences with Windows server. I am thinking to start with those OS (Unix/Linux) and more specifically with the OS for the server. however, i have no idea which one would i start first, unix or linux? Because i also dont know how they are different. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanlen
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

your advise on mysql, please

My intention is to set up a mysql on unix. Could you provide some info, please, useful for realization of the plan (other than "read the documentation" that will be done anyway)? vaguely yours` sehrguey (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serguey
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

5. Linux

Please advise me.

Hello all, I have a question, and would like some advice please. I am a windows guy by trade....5 years in the Marines is where I learnt a lot of what i know. I took a junior level sys admin job...learned a bit more...and now I do IT security. All of this happened in the last 8 years. So I'm 27... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quality
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advise on HP unix

Hi everyone I need help i want to learn Unix and do some certification on Unix Hp the reason why i choose Hp is because the company that i work for uses HP and interested in knowing a lt more about what i do i montor the unix server (disk space CPU usage memory utilization,proceeses job... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liema
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

alternative for egrep -o on HP-UX

Hello to all board members!! I have a problem on a HP-UX system. I should write a script. Therefore I need to search after IP addresses in the output of a command. On Debian this works: ifconfig | egrep -o "{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}\.{1,3}" The script where i need this is not ifconfig, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vostro
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Experts !!! Please advise

Hi, I work on sun Solaris. Am hosting few web services on my server which are accessed over the internet. Now to check whether the web service is responding or not, i first have to log in to the web service URL. If it doesn't respond there, i come back to my server box and restart the service... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sting672744
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Don't have tree, need advise to differentiate dir from file from this alternative that uses find

Hi, I don't have tree on the Solaris server and our SA don't want to install it. I found this example from One Line Linux Command to Print Out Directory Tree Listing | systemBash that more or less does what I am mainly looking for. Example run is as below: $: find ./ | sed -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
ZIPGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							ZIPGREP(1)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1), zip(1), funzip(1), zipcloak(1), zipinfo(1), zipnote(1), zipsplit(1) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 20 April 2009 ZIPGREP(1)