Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Very Basic Arduino Uno Board Testing Post 303042233 by hicksd8 on Thursday 19th of December 2019 11:01:23 AM
Old 12-19-2019
You can do some pretty rinky dink seasonal (Christmas) stuff with an Arduino and strips of LEDs like WS2812b (Google that).

You just need to connect a pin of the strip to 5V, another to GND, and a third to an output pin. I use the FastLED library.
You can program sequences of chasing lights, colour changes, and anything else that you want to do.

I had a problem recently in trying to get outputs (eg, LED flashing) at different frequencies (intervals)) given the single thread available on an Arduino. I got around this by using the modulo function. I'll attach the demo code a wrote for this before I wrote the production stuff.

Also, I got hacked off with trying to program LED flashing (on analogue and/or digital output pins) a number of required times and also fading up or down at the same time. For example, fade a LED up, flash it 4 times, then fade it down. I thought that there had to be an easier way so I wrote "ulcf" (Universal LED Control Function) to allow me to call my requirements in one line of code (or perhaps 2 or 3 calls of the function to get the effect that I want). I'll attach this code to this post too but I'm not saying it's fully debugged but you'll get the drift.

How many electronics engineers are there on this forum who mess about with the likes of Arduino? Show of hands please.

PS. Had to upload files as .txt - site refuses to upload .ino
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use The Terminal To Test Arduino Is Working.

Hi all... (Apologies for any typos at all.) This is a step by step _script_ to check if your Arduino is talking to your Linux or Macbook Pro computer using the Terminal... It works on at least 3 Linux flavours and now the Macbook Pro... I hope you find it useful as a simple check for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Arduino Diecimila Board Access...

This is a very simple starter DEMO to access Arduino Diecimila Board for the Macbook Pro 13" OSX 10.7.5... A potentiometer is connected between 5V and Gnd with the wiper connected to ANALOG IN 0 on the Arduino. This was adjusted to give the Ms and Ls as seen... I now have DC in for this... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Semi-Automatic Arduino Detection.

I am working on a semi-auto detection idea for Arduino for the Scope project. It does require a little user intervention but minimal. It works by just responding to two on screen prompts to unplug and plug Arduino into a USB port. There are two versions and both work perfectly well and give... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. Programming

Arduino-cli - Uploading to Unknown Chinese Arduino Boards using the Arduino Command Line Interface

In my further exploration of Arduino, today I decided to install the arduino-cli on my mac today. https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli I followed the instructions for macOS but when I got to this part: arduino-cli board list I got the dreaded "Unknown" Fully Qualified Board Name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

5. Programming

More Arduino Stuff...

HI all... (Apologies for any typos.) To add to Neo's Arduino subject matter I have decided to upload this in ".zip" format. Ignore "*.info" files these are AMIGA icons only and also the "HAM" drawer as these are photos in ancient AMIGA HAM modes. I have noticed that there are current... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

6. Programming

Chinese Arduino UNO Clones - The Wavgat versus the generic UNO R3 Clone - The Winner Is?

Waiting for more fun Ardunio parts from AliExpress, I decided to test two cheap Chinese Arduino UNO clones. The Arduino UNO R3 (CH340G) MEGA328P The Wavgat UNO R3 (CH340G) MEGA328P Both of these Chinese Ardunio clones sell for about $3 USD, delivered to your door. The bottom line is... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

7. Programming

Arduino UNIX Time - Syncing Computer UNIX Time to Arduino Time with Python

Just finished a quick Python script to send the current unix time over to the Arduino from macOS, so in the absence of GPS or some other way to get the unix timestamp (epoch time) to the Arduino, I can get my macOS and Arduino UNO synced to within a second. Normally, when the Arduino starts... (9 Replies)
9 Replies

8. Programming

Basic Arduino UNO Bluetooth Testing with the BLE 4.0 (CC2541, MLT-BT04 IC)

Here is a sketch to do basic testing for the Arduino UNO and the MLT-BT04. This BLE module works with IOS (iPhone) and I'll add some details on my IOS testing with an iPhone in a follow-up post. For now, here is the basic BLE (HM-10) sketch for the Arduino UNO: /* Arduino test-code... (7 Replies)
7 Replies
XkbAddDeviceLedInfo(3)						   XKB FUNCTIONS					    XkbAddDeviceLedInfo(3)

NAME
XkbAddDeviceLedInfo - Initialize an XkbDeviceLedInfoRec structure SYNOPSIS
XkbDeviceLedInfoPtr XkbAddDeviceLedInfo (XkbDeviceInfoPtr device_info, unsigned int led_class, unsigned int led_id); ARGUMENTS
- device_info structure in which to add LED info - led_class input extension class for LED device of interest - led_id input extension ID for LED device of interest DESCRIPTION
XkbAddDeviceLedInfo first checks to see whether an entry matching led_class and led_id already exists in the device_info->leds array. If it finds a matching entry, it returns a pointer to that entry. Otherwise, it checks to be sure there is at least one empty entry in device_info->leds and extends it if there is not enough room. It then increments device_info->num_leds and fills in the next available entry in device_info->leds with led_class and led_id. If successful, XkbAddDeviceLedInfo returns a pointer to the XkbDeviceLedInfoRec structure that was initialized. If unable to allocate suf- ficient storage, or if device_info points to an invalid XkbDeviceInfoRec structure, or if led_class or led_id are inappropriate, XkbAddDe- viceLedInfo returns NULL. To allocate additional space for button actions in an XkbDeviceInfoRec structure, use XkbResizeDeviceButtonActions. STRUCTURES
Information about X Input Extension devices is transferred between a client program and the Xkb extension in an XkbDeviceInfoRec structure: typedef struct { char * name; /* name for device */ Atom type; /* name for class of devices */ unsigned short device_spec; /* device of interest */ Bool has_own_state; /* True=>this device has its own state */ unsigned short supported; /* bits indicating supported capabilities */ unsigned short unsupported; /* bits indicating unsupported capabilities */ unsigned short num_btns; /* number of entries in btn_acts */ XkbAction * btn_acts; /* button actions */ unsigned short sz_leds; /* total number of entries in LEDs vector */ unsigned short num_leds; /* number of valid entries in LEDs vector */ unsigned short dflt_kbd_fb; /* input extension ID of default (core kbd) indicator */ unsigned short dflt_led_fb; /* input extension ID of default indicator feedback */ XkbDeviceLedInfoPtr leds; /* LED descriptions */ } XkbDeviceInfoRec, *XkbDeviceInfoPtr; typedef struct { unsigned short led_class; /* class for this LED device*/ unsigned short led_id; /* ID for this LED device */ unsigned int phys_indicators; /* bits for which LEDs physically present */ unsigned int maps_present; /* bits for which LEDs have maps in maps */ unsigned int names_present; /* bits for which LEDs are in names */ unsigned int state; /* 1 bit => corresponding LED is on */ Atom names[XkbNumIndicators]; /* names for LEDs */ XkbIndicatorMapRec maps; /* indicator maps for each LED */ } XkbDeviceLedInfoRec, *XkbDeviceLedInfoPtr; SEE ALSO
XkbResizeDeviceButtonActions(3) X Version 11 libX11 1.6.0 XkbAddDeviceLedInfo(3)