Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Very Basic Arduino Uno Board Testing Post 303042232 by Neo on Thursday 19th of December 2019 10:57:58 AM
Old 12-19-2019
Getting free of the Arduino IDE serial monitor, this python code works.

First, on the mac, import pyserial:

Code:
sudo pip install pyserial

Code:
macos# cat ard.py

The code:

Code:
import serial

ser = serial.Serial(
    port='/dev/cu.usbserial-40',
    baudrate=9600,
    parity=serial.PARITY_NONE,
    stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE,
    bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS,
    timeout=0)

print("connected to: " + ser.portstr)

# this will store the line
line = []

while True:
    for c in ser.read():
        line.append(c)
        if c == '\n':
            print("Line: " + ''.join(line))
            line = []
            break

ser.close()

Run it:

Code:
python ard.py

Output from Arduino on my mac using python to read it:

Code:
macos$ python ard.py
connected to: /dev/cu.usbserial-40
Line: 0  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Line: 1  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Line: 2  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Line: 3  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Line: 4  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Line: 5  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Line: 6  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Line: 7  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Line: 8  - Analog0: 5.00   Analog1: 3.33   Digital2: 0   Digital3: 0

Well, this is a bit too easy..... we all can easily set up all kind of sensors in our homes, in our motorcycles or cars, and push the results to a DB on the net and display the results on the web.... even on this site. Or M2M....

Hmmm.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use The Terminal To Test Arduino Is Working.

Hi all... (Apologies for any typos at all.) This is a step by step _script_ to check if your Arduino is talking to your Linux or Macbook Pro computer using the Terminal... It works on at least 3 Linux flavours and now the Macbook Pro... I hope you find it useful as a simple check for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Arduino Diecimila Board Access...

This is a very simple starter DEMO to access Arduino Diecimila Board for the Macbook Pro 13" OSX 10.7.5... A potentiometer is connected between 5V and Gnd with the wiper connected to ANALOG IN 0 on the Arduino. This was adjusted to give the Ms and Ls as seen... I now have DC in for this... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Semi-Automatic Arduino Detection.

I am working on a semi-auto detection idea for Arduino for the Scope project. It does require a little user intervention but minimal. It works by just responding to two on screen prompts to unplug and plug Arduino into a USB port. There are two versions and both work perfectly well and give... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. Programming

Arduino-cli - Uploading to Unknown Chinese Arduino Boards using the Arduino Command Line Interface

In my further exploration of Arduino, today I decided to install the arduino-cli on my mac today. https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli I followed the instructions for macOS but when I got to this part: arduino-cli board list I got the dreaded "Unknown" Fully Qualified Board Name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

5. Programming

More Arduino Stuff...

HI all... (Apologies for any typos.) To add to Neo's Arduino subject matter I have decided to upload this in ".zip" format. Ignore "*.info" files these are AMIGA icons only and also the "HAM" drawer as these are photos in ancient AMIGA HAM modes. I have noticed that there are current... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

6. Programming

Chinese Arduino UNO Clones - The Wavgat versus the generic UNO R3 Clone - The Winner Is?

Waiting for more fun Ardunio parts from AliExpress, I decided to test two cheap Chinese Arduino UNO clones. The Arduino UNO R3 (CH340G) MEGA328P The Wavgat UNO R3 (CH340G) MEGA328P Both of these Chinese Ardunio clones sell for about $3 USD, delivered to your door. The bottom line is... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

7. Programming

Arduino UNIX Time - Syncing Computer UNIX Time to Arduino Time with Python

Just finished a quick Python script to send the current unix time over to the Arduino from macOS, so in the absence of GPS or some other way to get the unix timestamp (epoch time) to the Arduino, I can get my macOS and Arduino UNO synced to within a second. Normally, when the Arduino starts... (9 Replies)
9 Replies

8. Programming

Basic Arduino UNO Bluetooth Testing with the BLE 4.0 (CC2541, MLT-BT04 IC)

Here is a sketch to do basic testing for the Arduino UNO and the MLT-BT04. This BLE module works with IOS (iPhone) and I'll add some details on my IOS testing with an iPhone in a follow-up post. For now, here is the basic BLE (HM-10) sketch for the Arduino UNO: /* Arduino test-code... (7 Replies)
7 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplUserNContributed)Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines - Use concatenation or HEREDOCs instead of literal line breaks in strings. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Strings with embedded line breaks are hard to read. Use concatenation or HEREDOCs instead. my $foo = "Line one is quite long Line two"; # Bad my $foo = "Line one is quite long Line two"; # Better, but still hard to read my $foo = "Line one is quite long " . "Line two"; # Better still my $foo = <<'EOF'; # Use heredoc for longer passages Line one is quite long Line two Line three breaks the camel's back EOF CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> CREDITS
Initial development of this policy was supported by a grant from the Perl Foundation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Chris Dolan. Many rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitImplicitNewlines(3pm)