Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell script to Split matrix file with delimiter into multiple files Post 303042222 by RudiC on Thursday 19th of December 2019 06:23:02 AM
Old 12-19-2019
This should work for exactly the data sample you presented; for "thousands of columns", additional efforts need to be spent, like closing output files after appending to them:

Code:
awk -F\; '
NR == 1 {for (i=5; i<=NF; i++)  {split ($i, T, "_")
                                 COL[T[1]] = COL[T[1]] OFS  i 
                                }
        }

{for (c in COL) {n = split (COL[c], T)
                         OUT = $(T[2])
                         for (i=3; i<=n; i++) OUT = sprintf ("%s;%s", OUT, $(T[i]))
                         print $1, $2, $3, $4, OUT  >  (c ".txt")
                        }
        }
' OFS=\; file
---------- A.txt: ----------

ID1;ID2;ID3;ID4;A_1;A_2;A_3
AA;ax;ay;az;01;04;07
BB;bx;by;bz;03;44;27

---------- B.txt: ----------

ID1;ID2;ID3;ID4;B_1;B_2;B_3
AA;ax;ay;az;02;05;08
BB;bx;by;bz;05;15;08

---------- C.txt: ----------

ID1;ID2;ID3;ID4;C_1;C_2;C_3
AA;ax;ay;az;03;06;09
BB;bx;by;bz;33;26;09

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split line to multiple files Awk/Sed/Shell Script help

Hi, I need help to split lines from a file into multiple files. my input look like this: 13 23 45 45 6 7 33 44 55 66 7 13 34 5 6 7 87 45 7 8 8 9 13 44 55 66 77 8 44 66 88 99 6 I want to split every 3 lines from this file to be written to individual files. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files using split with a delimiter

I have a directory of files that I need to rename by splitting the first and second halves of the filenames using the delimiter "-O" and then renaming with the second half first, followed by two underscores and then the first half. For example, natfinal1995annvol1_14.pdf -O filenum-20639 will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swimulator
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into multiple files

Hi I have a file that has multiple sequences; the sequence name is the line starting with '>'. It looks like below: infile.txt: >HE_ER tttggtgccttgactcggattgggggacctcccttgggagatcaatcccctgtcctcctgctctttgctc cgtgaaaaggatccacctatgacctctagtcctcagacccaccagcccaaggaacatctcaccaatttca >M7B_Ho_sap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- counting delimiter in a huge file and split data into 2 files

I’m new to Linux script and not sure how to filter out bad records from huge flat files (over 1.3GB each). The delimiter is a semi colon “;” Here is the sample of 5 lines in the file: Name1;phone1;address1;city1;state1;zipcode1 Name2;phone2;address2;city2;state2;zipcode2;comment... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file into multiple files

Hi, I have a file of the following syntax that has around 120K records that are tab separated. input.txt abc def klm 20 76 . + . klm_mango unix_00000001; abc def klm 83 84 . + . klm_mango unix_0000103; abc def klm 415 439 . + . klm_mango unix_00001043; I am looking for an awk oneliner... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to put delimiter for a no delimiter variable length text file

Hi, I have a No Delimiter variable length text file with following schema - Column Name Data length Firstname 5 Lastname 5 age 3 phoneno1 10 phoneno2 10 phoneno3 10 sample data - ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurav Martha
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to split file into multiple files based on many columns

So I have a space delimited file that I'd like to split into multiple files based on multiple column values. This is what my data looks like 1bc9A02 1 10 1000 FTDLNLVQALRQFLWSFRLPGEAQKIDRMMEAFAQRYCQCNNGVFQSTDTCYVLSFAIIMLNTSLHNPNVKDKPTVERFIAMNRGINDGGDLPEELLRNLYESIKNEPFKIPELEHHHHHH 1ku1A02 1 10... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into multiple files using delimiter

Hi, I have a file which has many URLs delimited by space. Now i want them to move to separate files each one holding 10 URLs per file. http://3276.e-printphoto.co.uk/guardian http://abdera.apache.org/ http://abdera.apache.org/docs/api/index.html I have used the below code to arrange... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD