Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [Tip] A better echo
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Tip] A better echo Post 303042177 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 17th of December 2019 02:31:18 PM
Old 12-17-2019
Hi MadeInGermany,

Can't you use:
Code:
echo_e() {
  printf "%b\n" "$*" 
}

Instead?

The use of "$*" means that this only works as long as IFS is at the default:

Code:
$ IFS=,
$ echo -e "a\nb" c d
a
b c d
$echo_e "a\nb" c d
a
b,c,d

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one teaching Tip

Student have huge interest about why so many expert choose use UNIX than MS Windows. I consider that SHARE & OPEN is key point.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 111000
2 Replies

2. Solaris

tip into 280R

I need to use tip from machine A serial port to machine B serial port. Can someone point me to an example of the correct cable to use? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit of a help or just a tip

I am about to do a script that change the COST so i dont need to change each cost. The output looks like this. "OL_ID OL_LINK_COST ----------- ------------ 51 10 52 10 53 10 54 10 55 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris; tip

plz explain TIP in solaris in detail. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karman0931
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp tip

Hello, I'm just starting working on it. I'd like to get a tip For istance if I have a file like: a b c d e f .... and I wanna get: 1a & 2b & 3c 0d & 8e & 4f ..... I would like to use sed and come up with a regular expression that works.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search tip.

How do I find a key word in multiple files.. in a directory.. ? cat *.doc | grep -i myword? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamon
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Tip: Ldom migration

Prerequisite: • S7-2L Server Hardware Console Access • Solaris 11.3 OS and LDOM Packages (Ex: 3.4) • Setup IPS Repositories Solaris 11 comes with Oracle VM server pre-installed if older version is there remove the old and install latest Oracle VM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahendra170
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)