Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers SHELL: UNIX : Ls regular expression not working when used with variables Post 303042072 by nezabudka on Friday 13th of December 2019 01:52:27 AM
Old 12-13-2019
Hi
Code:
eval ls -d $WORKDIR/batch/somefilename_{$myvar}.*

These 3 Users Gave Thanks to nezabudka For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using regular expression an shell script!!

I want to check if the first argument of my shell script starts with a specifiec string? Any Idea?? Thank u (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use regular expression in Bash Shell Scripting

Hi, Actually i have written one test.sh (shell program) in bash. Here i have a variables $a which stored the value package1. Now I want to write a regular expression inside the if command that "if $a variable contains letter p in the begining of the value package1 then it is coming true.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression not working.

Hi, I have to match a certain pattern of string in my shell script: 6.0.4.11.9 7.5.1.7.1 First Number can be 6 or 7 Second number can be 0 or 5 Rest all numbers can be between 1-99 I am using following egrep: egrep ^\.\.\.\.\$ filename But why is the above regular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help | unix | grep | regular expression

I have the following code: ls -al /bin | tr -s ' ' | grep 'x' ls -al: Lists all the files in a given director such as /bin tr -s ' ': removes additional spaces between characters so that there is only one space grep 'x': match all "x" characters that are followed by a whitespace. I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Regular expression in bash shell

hi, I have written a script to search MAC address in a given directory. MAC address would be in format XX.XX.XX.XX. The digits contain hexadecimal numbers. For this i have used grep as follows. grep -rn '^\{1,2\}\.\{1,2\}\.\{1,2\}\.\{1,2\}\$' * This is not working as required.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamingo_l
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression not working with sed

Hi All, I am facing some problems with regular expression with sed. I have a .txt file with the contents as below: This is a dummy file # File created to test execution of regular expression. Hope it works out. As in the above contents there is a blank line which does not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
4 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search (regular expression in UNIX)

Hello , Could anyone help me to define the string in regular expression way . Below is my string \rtf1\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss Helv;}{\f1\fnil MS Sans Serif;}} {\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue0;} \viewkind4\uc1\pard\cf1\lang1033\f0\fs16 The string will always start as \rtf1 and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression in UNIX

How can I define a regular expression of a string which can start with Capital alphabet or integer (A-Z) or (0-9) and can be of any number of characters I have tried * but its not working could anyone please suggest? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with Regular expression now working on file directories

Hello Everyone, I have a file sam1 with the below content SYSYSID;MANDT;/SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX;/SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1 echo $Regex \bSYSYSID\b|\bMANDT\b|\b/SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX\b|\b/SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1\b cat sam1 | grep -Eo $Regex I expect the result as SYSYSID MANDT /SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX /SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
4 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)