Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Grep command in Linux in a script where the search string has a space Post 303042053 by knijjar on Thursday 12th of December 2019 09:11:21 AM
Old 12-12-2019
Are you saying I need to do the following? the file xyz contains the search strings that has spaces, and the MasterFile is the file that I need to grep for these search strings with spaces. and if found then save the result in FoundString

Code:
 for i in `cat xyz`
do
grep -f MasterFile "$i" >> FoundString
done

This isnt going to work

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for a search string

Hi, I want to grep one file for a search string and get the next 10 lines after the search string. for eg,in file tnsnames.ora,i have 100 entries.i want to search for one string and get the entry for that db. please help how to acheive this using awk or sed? Thanks. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raga
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : search a long char contain space

Hi, i have to search for a char like that : export var1="i am not happy /not happy" with a command like : grep $var1 file but this not working with me !!! thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tizilfin
2 Replies

3. AIX

grep not working when search string has a space in it

Hi, I am trying to grep a string which has two words separated by space. I used a script to grep the string by reading the string in to a variable command i used in the script is echo "enter your string" read str grep $str <file> it is working fine when the entered string is a single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar gajjala
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching exact string with blank space using grep

hi! i'm trying to get grep to do an exact match for the following pattern but..it's not quite working. I'm not too sure where did I get it wrong. any input is appreciated. echo "$VAR" | grep -q '^test:]name' if ; then printf "test name is not found \n" fi on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzaddict
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a string until instance of a space

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting this to work using either sed or grep. It's possible awk might be the ticket I need as well, but my regulat expression skills aren't quite up to the task for doing this. I'm looking to grep for the string ERROR from the following log up until any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrell
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep line with all string in the lines and not space.

I want to write the syntax so does not count line with no space. So currerntly it is showing lines as 5, but i want to show 4. # cat /tmp/mediacheck | sort -u | grep -vi " " | awk '{print $1}' | wc -l BA7552 BAA002 BAA003 BAA004 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to search a regular expression in a line an only print the string after the match

Hello, one step in a shell script i am writing, involves Grep command to search a regular expression in a line an only print the string after the match an example line is below /logs/GRAS/LGT/applogs/lgt-2016-08-24/2016-08-24.8.log.zip:2016-08-24 19:12:48,602 ERROR... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramneekgupta91
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux shell script, search by an input string

So, there is a large file where I have to conduct several search using bash shell scripting. The file is like this: TITLE and AUTHOR ETEXT NO. Aspects of plant life; with special reference to the British flora, 56900 by Robert Lloyd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Philia
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)