Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Noob question: How to check the total number of inputs entered by user? Post 303042048 by vbe on Thursday 12th of December 2019 08:30:23 AM
Old 12-12-2019
So your one-liner will not help you if you have more than 3, as it will not take account or will all be in num3, and if someone enters:
1,23,45 you are stuck too...
If you continue with your one-liner read, you will need num4 to be able to check more than 3 numbers were entered, after it does not matter...and you will have to check if you have a valid value in num 1-3 as what is stopping someone to enter "A"?
And while you don't have your 3 numerics in num1-3, you reinitialize your variable to 0 and start again...
---
wisecracker has also shown you what I had in mind and his suggestion solves partially your issue, only this more easy design looks like it is not an option here, as this seems more to be homework to see how smart you are to sort yourself out of this tricky issue when using in such manner the read command...
And so unless you can justify this is not homework and as such should have been posted in the adequate room and following the special rules there I will close this thread

Last edited by vbe; 12-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: typos

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only chracter or only number ?

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only character or only number ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CheeSen
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating user entered date

I need the date validation. I searched in the google but i didn't find my requirements. requirements: 1) user has to enter the date in YYYY/MM/DD format 2) MM validations 3) DD validations. and if the month is april it should allow 30 days only and for May month it should allow 31 days like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

PBS - restrict total number of processors per user

Hello everyone! I am a bit inexperienced with administering queueing programs. I installed Torque (a PBS derivative) on a Linux cluster and it is running well. There is one annoying problem though: users can run massively parallel jobs and serial jobs too. Almost all users do a mix of the two. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnuplot
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total noob script

Hi i am a total noob at shell scripting. i was wondering if somebody could help me with my script. i want the script to search the dev folder for the burner file because they are different between distrubutions? as i under stand it. this i the script. #!/bin/bash echo "Script för att bränna 360... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MatsO
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

only a number can be entered no letters?

ok the user can only enter a number if a letter is entered it shouldnt be accepted This is what i have so far read -p "How many cars to enter:" cars until do read -p "Invalid number. Please re-enter:" $tags done (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sum total number of record and total number of record problem asking

Input file SFSQW 5192.56 HNRNPK 611.486 QEQW 1202.15 ASDR 568.627 QWET 6382.11 SFSQW 4386.3 HNRNPK 100 SFSQW 500 Desired output file SFSQW 10078.86 3 QWET 6382.11 1 QEQW 1202.15 1 HNRNPK 711.49 2 ASDR 568.63 1 The way I tried: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to accept command line argument as character or text if number is entered?

Hello Does the unix korn shell provide a function to convert number entered in command line argument to text or Character so that in next step i will convert Chr to Hex (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadityapatel198
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Unknown Number of User Inputs in awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I am trying to figure out how to print an output based on user input. For example: ubuntu:~/scripts$ steps="step1, step2, step3" ubuntu:~/scripts$ echo $steps step1, step2, step3 I am playing around and I got this pattern that I want: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check user entered correct file format or not?

Hi Experts, path=/db/files/ format=$1 User can enter any file format.compare the user file format with actual file format existed in the directory /db/files. User enter all characters as "A" apart from date format. example1: user will be entering the file format AAA_AA_YYYYMMDD.AAA Actual... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total Noob BASH scripting question

Hello All, I have a file of ip addresses called activeips.txt What I'm trying to do is run a simple bash script that has a loop in it. The loop is a cat of the IP addresses in the file. The goal is to run 2 nmap commands to give me outputs where each address in the list has an OS... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_Pitt
11 Replies
RRDp(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   RRDp(3)

NAME
RRDp - Attach RRDtool from within a perl script via a set of pipes; SYNOPSIS
use RRDp RRDp::start path to RRDtool executable RRDp::cmd rrdtool commandline $answer = RRD::read $status = RRD::end $RRDp::user, $RRDp::sys, $RRDp::real, $RRDp::error_mode, $RRDp::error DESCRIPTION
With this module you can safely communicate with the RRDtool. After every RRDp::cmd you have to issue an RRDp::read command to get RRDtools answer to your command. The answer is returned as a pointer, in order to speed things up. If the last command did not return any data, RRDp::read will return an undefined variable. If you import the PERFORMANCE variables into your namespace, you can access RRDtool's internal performance measurements. use RRDp Load the RRDp::pipe module. RRDp::start path to RRDtool executable start RRDtool. The argument must be the path to the RRDtool executable RRDp::cmd rrdtool commandline pass commands on to RRDtool. Check the RRDtool documentation for more info on the RRDtool commands. Note: Due to design limitations, RRDp::cmd does not support the "graph -" command - use "graphv -" instead. $answer = RRDp::read read RRDtool's response to your command. Note that the $answer variable will only contain a pointer to the returned data. The reason for this is, that RRDtool can potentially return quite excessive amounts of data and we don't want to copy this around in memory. So when you want to access the contents of $answer you have to use $$answer which dereferences the variable. $status = RRDp::end terminates RRDtool and returns RRDtool's status ... $RRDp::user, $RRDp::sys, $RRDp::real these variables will contain totals of the user time, system time and real time as seen by RRDtool. User time is the time RRDtool is running, System time is the time spend in system calls and real time is the total time RRDtool has been running. The difference between user + system and real is the time spent waiting for things like the hard disk and new input from the Perl script. $RRDp::error_mode and $RRDp::error If you set the variable $RRDp::error_mode to the value 'catch' before you run RRDp::read a potential ERROR message will not cause the program to abort but will be returned in this variable. If no error occurs the variable will be empty. $RRDp::error_mode = 'catch'; RRDp::cmd qw(info file.rrd); print $RRDp::error if $RRDp::error; EXAMPLE
use RRDp; RRDp::start "/usr/local/bin/rrdtool"; RRDp::cmd qw(create demo.rrd --step 100 DS:in:GAUGE:100:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:10); $answer = RRDp::read; print $$answer; ($usertime,$systemtime,$realtime) = ($RRDp::user,$RRDp::sys,$RRDp::real); SEE ALSO
For more information on how to use RRDtool, check the manpages. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> perl v5.16.3 2014-06-10 RRDp(3)