Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Increase the performance of find command. Post 303041938 by mohtashims on Saturday 7th of December 2019 09:22:17 AM
Old 12-07-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Compare performance of
Code:
cksum /tmp/moht/* | grep -v "BACKUP\|STORE\|LOGGER"

But you have not considered the file size. Can you please include that in your answer?

Also note that the files should be searched recursively under subfolders.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

improve performance by using ls better than find

Hi , i'm searching for files over many Aix servers with rsh command using this request : find /dir1 -name '*.' -exec ls {} \; and then count them with "wc" but i would improve this search because it's too long and replace directly find with ls command but "ls *. " doesn't work. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

2. Solaris

What is the command to increase filesystem on solaris

I wanted to know what is the process or command to increase a filesystem on solaris. For example the /tmp directory. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: strikelit
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increase Performance

I have written a code using AWK & sed to compare two files. The structure of the files is like this" Format is this: <bit code> <file code> <string> Follwoed by any numbers of properties lines whic start with a "space" 10101010101111101 XX abcd a AS sasa BS kkk 1110000101010110 XX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increase sed performance

I'm using sed to do find and replace. But since the file is huge and i have more than 1000 files to be searched, the script is taking a lot of time. Can somebody help me with a better sed command. Below is the details. Input: 1 1 2 3 3 4 5 5 Here I know the file is sorted. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SLEEP command performance

Hi, I wanted to run a particlar script for every 20 minutes. I dont have crontab in my server. Hence i ran this script in a loop by providing the command sleep 1200 Now i wanted to know is there any performance issue if this job keeps on execute in the server. Thanks, Puni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puni
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk : find progressive increase in numbers

NR_037575 -0.155613339079513 -0.952655362767482 -1.42096466949375 -0.797042023687969 -1.26535133041424 -0.468309306726272 NR_037576 0.59124585320226 0.408702582537126 0.888885242203586 -0.182543270665134 0.297639389001326 0.480182659666459... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue while using find command

Hi, I have created a shell script for Server Log Automation Process. I have used find xargs grep command to search the string. for Example, find -name | xargs grep "816995225" > test.txt . Here my problem is, We have lot of records and we want to grep the string... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
4 Replies

8. Solaris

8 character limit for ipcs command , any way to increase # of chars ?

Hello All, We have a working script which identifies and kills ipcs resources which havent been correctly killed during normal shutdowns. It is working fine and dandy however there are some issues now. Environment: SunOS 5.10 Generic_148888-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: icalderus
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increase command length for ksh shell on Redhat Linux

I have a ksh shell script and i need to pass arguments which are generated by data pulled from a database. When the argument to the shell script is too long (about 4000 charecters) the below is the issue observed. I copy the command which is 4000 charecters long from the logs and paste it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies
cksum(1)						      General Commands Manual							  cksum(1)

NAME
cksum - Displays the checksum and byte count of a file SYNOPSIS
cksum [file...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: cksum: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The path name of a file to be checked. If no file is specified, standard input is used. DESCRIPTION
The cksum command reads the files specified by the file argument and calculates a 32-bit checksum Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) and the byte count for each file. If no files are specified, standard input is read. The checksum, number of bytes, and file name are written to standard output. If standard input is used, no path name is printed. The cksum command can be used to compare a suspect file copied or communicated over noisy transmission lines against an exact copy of a trusted file. The comparison made by the cksum command may not be cryptographically secure; however, it is unlikely that an accidentally damaged file will produce the same checksum as the original file. [Tru64 UNIX] The cksum command uses a different algorithm than the sum command to calculate the 32-bit checksum CRC. The cksum command uses a CRC algorithm based on the Ethernet standard frame check. In addition, the sum block count is an octet count in cksum. [Tru64 UNIX] The IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 and X/Open CAE specifications require a slightly different method of calculating checksum values. To obtain these new standards, set the environment variable CMD_ENV to xpg4 as follows: export CMD_ENV=xpg4 [Tru64 UNIX] To maintain compatibility if the environment variable CMD_ENV is not set, the default action of the cksum command reports the traditional checksum values. The CRC checksum is obtained in the following way: The encoding is defined by the generating polynomial: G(x) = x^32 + x^26 + x^23 + x^22 + x^16 + x^12 + x^11 + x^10 + x^8 + x^7 + x^5 + x^4 + x^2 + x + 1 Mathematically, the CRC value corresponding to a given file is defined by the following procedure: The n bits to be evaluated are consid- ered to be the coefficients of a mod 2 polynomial M(x) of degree n-1. These n bits are the bits from the file, with the most significant bit being the most significant bit of the first octet of the file and the last bit being the least significant bit of the last octet, padded with zero bits (if necessary) to achieve an integral number of octets, followed by one or more octets representing the length of the file as a binary value, least significant octet first. The smallest number of octets capable of representing this integer is used. M(x) is multiplied by x^32 (that is, shifted left 32 bits) and divided by G(x) using mod 2 division, producing a remainder R(x) of degree less than or equal to 31. The coefficients of R(x) are considered to be a 32-bit sequence. The bit sequence is complemented and the result is the CRC. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: All files were processed successfully. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display the checksum and the size, in bytes, of file1 and file2, enter: cksum file1 file2 3995432187 1390 file1 3266927833 20912 file2 This output shows that the checksum of the file1 file is 3995432187 and contains 1390 bytes, and that the checksum of the file2 file is 3266927833 and contains 20912 bytes. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of cksum: [Tru64 UNIX] If this variable is set to xpg4, the method of calculating checksum values specified by IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (POSIX.2) and X/Open CAE specifications is used. Provides a default value for the inter- nationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: sum(1), wc(1) Standards: standards(5) cksum(1)