Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Hobbyist looking for AIX 5.3 licensing advice... Post 303041878 by bminear on Thursday 5th of December 2019 04:09:48 PM
Old 12-05-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
If you can wait sometime beginning next year, I may have something...
I had to remove all my stuff from work, and filled 18 boxes... and now resting at the end of my garage, only I am lightly disabled an cannot lift or carry anything at the moment, I remembered having packed my CDs of Bull Aix 5.3 with extras as I was in charge of the Bull escalas series...
I did work on a 43P 19years ago, it was the console of our SP2 hehe
Thanks, I'll check back with you next year if I don't have some luck in the meantime. Just for fun I did another full loop with IBM. Started with Sales who then push me off to Tech Support, who then push me back to Sales. Since the machine and OS version is out of support they understandably don't know how to proceed. Solution just seems to be to get somebody's media, but I'm sort of a stickler for playing by licensing rules so don't feel great about that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Oracle licensing

Hello all. I have a question for you. What is the method of licensing for Oracle under HP-UX? Is it just the system name or does it include the IP address also? The reason that I'm asking this is that I'm trying to set up a DR type box. The company has a live K class (yes, that old) running a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Struggling
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

hp-ux licensing

Hi Guys, Can someone please give me an introduction with hp-ux licensing? Is the licensing per user or per cpu or both? How do you push it on the server? Or is it included in the hardware price. Thanks in advance, itik (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

3. Solaris

sun licensing

Hi Guys, Can someone please give me an introduction with Sun licensing? Is the licensing per user or per cpu or both? How do you push it on the server? Or is it included in the hardware price. Thanks in advance, itik (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX licensing management

Hi Guys, Can someone please give me an introduction with AIX licensing management with 4.x and 5.x? Is the licensing per user or per cpu or both? How do you push it on the server? Or is it included in the hardware price. Thanks in advance, itik (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

HP-UX Reinstallation / Licensing

Hello, We have received a HP Integrity Server rx3600 (itanium architecture) that came with HP-UX on it. The installation of HP-UX is "broken" and it hangs and will not boot. The server did not come with any re installation media. I am just wondering, Legally and within ToS, can I do to restore... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 6L71
3 Replies

6. SCO

SCO Licensing

Hello all, I had a few questions about SCO 5.0.7 if anyone has the time. I have a POS system called RealWorld running on SCO 5.0.7. I have been using the EVAL60ENT code but it has expired and I'm tired of rebuilding/configuring that box from scratch - so I did a little googleing. I found a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disisit69
3 Replies

7. AIX

need advice on AIX virtualization

Hi all, first of all, beg your pardon for dummy questions. Please help me to sort it out. I'm an internal consultant in a technology unit, and currently we are relocating some applications to another Data Center. In the old Data Center, applications are running on IBM AIX, mostly AIX 5.3. The... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishango
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl 5.8.8 licensing issues

I have a question about the perl license on Solaris machine. The scenario is we have perl 5.6.1 installed on Solaris server. Our developers are planning to use a module which is not installed on the server. We did search CPAN website and found some availability matrix CPAN Testers Matrix:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhiroracle
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Licensing for RHEL

I wanted to know about licensing for RHEL. We have 3 RHELs as virtual machines using Vmware in our company. A 4th instance is required now but there is talk of not having the 4th license as we have only 3 licenses. Apart from this , I wanted to know how to actually practically enable a license for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
2 Replies

10. AIX

AIX Hardware Migration w/ HACMP...Advice Needed

Hello Everyone, Hope you all are doing great! As you can see by the title on top, we are in the process of migrating alot of our servers from Power5 (physical) to Power8 (Virtual). Now it's turn for servers with HACMP Cluster on it. Let me lay out the environment like: OLD ENVIRONMENT: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: uzair_rock
12 Replies
MRTG-FAQ(1)							       mrtg							       MRTG-FAQ(1)

NAME
mrtg-faq - How to get help if you have problems with MRTG SYNOPSIS
MRTG seems to raise a lot of questions. There are a number of resources apart from the documentation where you can find help for mrtg. FAQ
In the following sections you'll find some additonal Frequently Asked Questions, with Answers. Why is there no "@#$%" (my native language) version of MRTG? Nobody has contributed a @#$%.pmd file yet. Go into the mrtg-2.17.4/translate directory and create your own translation file. When you are happy with it send it to me for inclusion with the next mrtg release. I need a script to make mrtg work with my xyz device. Probably this has already been done. Check the stuff in the mrtg-2.17.4/contrib directory. There is a file called 00INDEX in that directory which tells what you can find in there. How does this SNMP thing work There are many resources on the net that explain SNMP. Take a look at this article from the Linux Journal by David Guerrero http://www.david-guerrero.com/papers/snmp/ And at this rather long document from CISCO. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/snmp.htm The images created by MRTG look very strange. Remove the *-{week,day,month,year}.png files and start MRTG again. Using MRTG for the first time, you might have to do this twice. This will also help when you introduce new routers into the cfg file. What is my Community Name? Ask the person in charge of your Router or try 'public', as this is the default Community Name. My graphs show a flat line during an outage. Why ? Well, the short answer is that when an SNMP query goes out and a response doesn't come back, MRTG has to assume something to put in the graph, and by default it assumes that the last answer we got back is probably closer to the truth than zero. This assumption is not perfect (as you have noticed). It's a trade-off that happens to fail during a total outage. If this is an unacceptable trade-off, use the unknaszero option. You may want to know what you're trading off, so in the spirit of trade-offs, here's the long answer: The problem is that MRTG doesn't know *why* the data didn't come back, all it knows is that it didn't come back. It has to do something, and it assumes it's a stray lost packet rather than an outage. Why don't we always assume the circuit is down and use zero, which will (we think) be more nearly right? Well, it turns out that you may be taking advantage of MRTG's "assume last" behaviour without being aware of it. MRTG uses SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) to collect data, and SNMP uses UDP (User Datagram Protocol) to ship packets around. UDP is connectionless (not guaranteed) unlike TCP where packets are tracked and acknowledged and, if needed, retransmitted. UDP just throws packets at the network and hopes they arrive. Sometimes they don't. One likely cause of lost SNMP data is congestion; another is busy routers. Other possibilities include transient telecommunications problems, router buffer overflows (which may or may not be congestion-related), "dirty lines" (links with high error rates), and acts of God. These things happen all the time; we just don't notice because many interactive services are TCP-based and the lost packets get retransmitted automatically. In the above cases where some SNMP packets are lost but traffic is flowing, assuming zero is the wrong thing to do - you end up with a graph that looks like it's missing teeth whenever the link fills up. MRTG interpolates the lost data to produce a smoother graph which is more accurate in cases of intermittent packet loss. But with V2.8.4 and above, you can use the "unknaszero" option to produce whichever graph is best under the conditions typical for your network. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.17.4 2012-01-12 MRTG-FAQ(1)