Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to change file section into each line? Post 303041877 by green_k on Thursday 5th of December 2019 03:39:53 PM
Old 12-05-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavinderSingh13
Hello green_k,

Could you please try following.

Code:
awk '
/^\[/{
  if(count){
    for(i=1;i<=count;i++){
      print val,a[i],count
    }
  }
  val=$0
  count=""
  next
}
  {
    a[++count]=$0
  }
END{
  if(count){
    for(i=1;i<=count;i++){
      print val,a[i],count
    }
  }
}'    Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh
thanks R.Singh. The code works as expected.

SmilieSmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help find a section line of a file

hi, I have a 20 line file. I need a command which will brinf back a specific line based upon the line number I enter. e.g. the file looks like this and is called file1 jim is a man john is a woman james is a man wendy is a woman lesley is a woman i want a command that will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change file contents line by line

Hi, I'm struggling to write a script to do the following, -will go through each line in the file -in a specific character positions, changes the value to a new value -These character positions are fixed througout the file ----------------------- e.g.: file1.sh will have the following 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vini99
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove certain section from the line

A typical line looks like this... ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_bin AUTO_INCREMENT=129 COMMENT='Compiled E-Mails';I want to remove DEFAULT CHARSET= and COLLATE= after resetting AUTO_INCREMENT=0 I do not want to change the engine and comment. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to retreive certain section of the line

Hi I am using "grep" command to get certain pattern out of the file: PNUM=34 $ grep -w "#${PNUM}" myfile #34 * 2297 * 410 * 964 * * 4352 $ Is there a way to retrieve the section of the above output without #34 so the output would look like this:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate Line Report per Section

I've been working on a script (/bin/sh) in which I have requested and received help here (in which I am very grateful for!). The client has modified their requirements (a tad), so without messing up the script to much, I come once again for assistance. Here are the file.dat contents: ABC1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse configuration file & add line in particular section

Greetings, I recently built a replicated DRBD, Heartbeat, & iSCSI Target Initiator storage server on Ubuntu 10.04 to offer shared storage to server Vmware ESX and Microsoft Clusters. Everything works flawlessly, however I wanted to make a script to create, remove, grow volumes to offer ESX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aeudian
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the first n line in each section

Hi, i have a file like this: ... 11111111 22222222 33333333 # 4444444 5555555 6666666 7777777 # ... i want just print the 2 first line between each section (each section is separated with "#"). so desired output would be like this: ... 11111111 22222222 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or print each section of a file on one line with a separator

I can obtain information from itdt inventory command however it display as below, I'd like to print each entity on one line but seperated by : the file is something like and each section ends with Volume Tag Drive Address 256 Drive State ................... Normal ASC/ASCQ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)