Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Joining Columnar heading from 2 lines Post 303041851 by rbatte1 on Thursday 5th of December 2019 08:26:03 AM
Old 12-05-2019
Hello ramkrix,

Following on from RavinderSingh13's request, the input you paste will also tell us how it is structured, e.g. is it tab seaparated, fixed-width or whatever.

Please paste the input into CODE tags so that is is easier to read and spacing is preserved. Tools such as notepad and variants might make it nice for human reading, but they complicate it when we need to process the data, so a simple copy/paste from the command line is probably best.

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 2 lines in a file together

Hi guys, I've got a log file which has entries that look like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 06/08/04 07:57:57 AMQ9002: Channel program started. EXPLANATION: Channel program 'INSCCPQ1.HSMTSPQ1' started. ACTION: None. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines from two files - please help

Hello, I have 2 files say File 1 has ABC DEF GHI File 2 has 123 456 789 I need output as ABC 123 DEF 456 GHI 789 I tried awk and sed but not able to get it in the right way. :confused: Please help. Thanks (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandra004
25 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conditionally joining lines in vi

I've done this before but I can't remember how. Too long away from vi. I want to do a search are replace, but I want the replace to be a join. Example see spot run see spot walk see spot run fast see spot hop %s/run$/<somehow perform a join with the next line>/g so the results... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifermon
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining 2 lines into single one

i have a script that joins 2 lines of a file into one line and again next 2 line into one line. if number of line is 4 then after joining it should be 2 lines in a file my file a1.txt has some of the below lines 1-GH32X, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 95 1-150KP1, CC,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining two lines

Hi , I want to join two lines in a file, where the second line contain query string. if it doesn't contain that string i don't want to join e.g. Input file is as following: name fame game none none none name fame game cat eat mice I need output file as name fame game none none... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashrafonics
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help joining lines

Hi All, I need the command to join 2 lines into one. I found lots of threads but none give me the sollution. Probably because unix scripting is one of my best features ;) I got a logfile where line 2 needs to be joined with line 1, lines 4 needs to be joined with line 3 etc If you need... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rene21976
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching lines using the date, and then joining the lines

Hi Guys, Was trying to attempt the below using awk and sed, have no luck so far, so any help would be appreciated. Current Text File: The first line has got an "\n", and the second line has got spaces/tabs then the word and "\n" TIME SERVER/CLIENT TEXT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining broken lines

I have a plain test file with a delimeter ''. In this file some lines are broken into two. The first part of these broken line will have 6 columns and the second part will have 4. These broken lines will be consicutive. I want to join the two consicutive lines which are having 6 fields and 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in different way

Hi all, I'm excited to the part of unix.com forum, and noob to it. I have an query, where I have an file and it contains data like this use thread when posting do no I was expecting the result as use thread thread when when posting posting do do no use thread when thread when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jose Nirmal
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining broken lines and removing empty lines

Hi - I have req to join broken lines and remove empty lines but should NOT be in one line. It has to be as is line by line. The challenge here is there is no end of line/start of line char. thanks in advance Source:- 2003-04-34024|04-10-2003|Claims|Claim|01-13-2003|Air Bag:Driver;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackceasar123
7 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)