Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to grep using wildcard in a file. Post 303041850 by mohtashims on Thursday 5th of December 2019 08:14:35 AM
Old 12-05-2019
Unable to grep using wildcard in a file.

I wish to check if my file has a line that does not start with '#' and has
1. Listen and 2. 443

Code:
 echo "Listen               443" > test.out

grep 'Listen *443' test.out | grep -v '#'
Listen               443

The above worked fine but when the entry changes to the below the grep fails when i dont want it to fail.

Code:
echo "Listen     192.888.22.111:443" > test.out

Also, i do grep -v '#' to ignore lines having # i.e comments but is there a way to check if # is the starting (not necessary the first character considering there are whitespaces before the #) charecter in the line only then it should be ignored else be considered by the grep query.

So....

Quote:
# Listen 192.888.22.111:443
should not be considered

But

Quote:
Listen 192.888.22.111:443 #
should be considered.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with wildcard in middle of word

How can grep G.*schema give me the result: ${Gacntg_dt}""'"' doesn't G.*schema say give me an unlimited number of characters between G and schema? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log file is not getting created & unable to grep error from it

Hi All, Below is my code,what I am trying to do is redirecting output of ftp to a log file & then greping the errors but here I am unable to grep "Permission denied" error only & also the corresponding log file is also not getting created. #!/bin/sh . cfg USER='abc' PASSWD='abc123' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tail command with wildcard file name

Please help with the following command tail -f /appdata/logs/alert_audit517.txt | grep "Sep 02" The problem I have is with the file name "alert_audit517.txt". The 3 digit number at the end of the file name changes, so I need the file name to use a wildcard. Ive tried alert_audit***.txt, but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertson1995
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard inside regular expression for grep

Hi, I'm on a Linux machine with a bash shell. I have some apache logs from where I want to extract the lines that match this pattern : "GET /dir1/dir2/dir3/bt_sx.gif HTTP/1.1" but where "/dir1/dir2/dir3/bt_sx" may vary , so I would like to grep something like cat apache.log | grep "\"GET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Wildcard search

How can i grep for a pattern with wildcard using grep? I want to identify all the lines that start with SAM and end in .PIPE IN.TXT SAM_HEADER.PIPE SAM_DETAIL.PIPE SAM_INVOICE.PIPE Can i do something like grep SAM*.PIPE IN.TXT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard for grep

GNU grep with Oracle Linux 6.3 I want to grep for strings starting with the pattern ora and and having the words r2j in it. It should return the lines highlighted in red below. But , I think I am not using wildcard for multiple characters correctly. $ cat someText.txt ora_pmon_jcpprdvp1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcard in file names

I know this is very basic and looks strange to me . -bash-3.2$ wc -l *. Result: 51 test.bad Since my third range after dot is A-Z(upper), how it matched the d( Lower)? i was in an understanding that the above code would not fetch any result unless i have a file with 3 char extension... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravana.sarak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and BzGrep with Wildcard in Search Pattern

Hello All, I hope this is the right area. If not, Kindly let me know and I will report in the appropriate spot. I am needing to find a search pattern that will make the * act as Wildcard in the search pattern instead of being literal. The example I am using is bzgrep "to=<*@domain.com>"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mancountry
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with wildcard

hi anyone how can use grep with wildcard. for example grep "sample?txt" filename doesn't show sample1txt or grep "sample*txt" filename doesn't show sample123.txt that there is in filename. many thanks samad (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
12 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD