Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting a file of book records Post 303041847 by Danette on Thursday 5th of December 2019 05:00:46 AM
Old 12-05-2019
I have included sort -r -t"|" -k3,3 to have records with recent years to show first.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use records from one file to delete records in another file

file_in_1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 file_in_2: 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 1 2 3 4 17 18 19 20 file_out: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Records mismatch while sorting in MPRAS and SunOS

Hi, As part of migrating a script from SunOS to MP RAS, the following script is not functioning in desired way. sort -t\| -u +6 -7 +12 -14 textfile1.out > \ textfile2uniq.out The -u is fetching unique records differently on SunOS and MP RAS Pentium IV. And thus the records... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the records in the Flat file

Hi all, I am using this command "sort -d -u -k1 IMSTEST.74E -o tmp.txt" to the records in the flat. Can any tell me how to sort the file except first line in the file For ex: i/p First line: DXYZ Second line : jumy third : cmhk fourth : andy Output should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_barker
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the records for a file

hi, Please suggest me how to do this logic say i am dynamically taking a file name into the script. when ever a file name it should sort the all the records based on the first character in every line except the heading line and ending line. for example file1 heading... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angel12345
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting group of records and loading last record

Hi Everyone, I have below record set. File is fixed widht file 101newjersyus 20150110 101nboston us 20150103 102boston us 20140106 102boston us 20140103 I need to group record based on first 3 letters in our case(101 and 102) and sort last 8 digit in ascending order and print only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patricjemmy6
4 Replies
RECSEL(1)							   User Commands							 RECSEL(1)

NAME
recsel - print records from a recfile SYNOPSIS
recsel [OPTION]... [-t TYPE] [-n INDEXES | -e RECORD_EXPR | -q EXPR | -m NUM] [-c | (-p|-P) FIELD_EXPR] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Select and print rec data. -d, --include-descriptors print record descriptors along with the matched records. -C, --collapse do not section the result in records with newlines. -S, --sort=FIELD sort the output by the specified field. -U, --uniq remove duplicated fields in the output records. -s, --password=STR decrypt confidential fields with the given password. --help print a help message and exit. --version show version and exit. Record selection options: -i, --case-insensitive make strings case-insensitive in selection expressions. -t, --type=TYPE operate on records of the specified type only. -e, --expression=EXPR selection expression. -q, --quick=STR select records with fields containing a string. -n, --number=NUM,... select specific records by position, with ranges. -R, --random=NUM select a given number of random records. Output options: -p, --print=FIELDS comma-separated list of fields to print for each matching record. -P, --print-values=FIELDS as -p, but print only the values of the selected fields. -R, --print-row=FIELDS as -P, but separate the values with spaces instead of newlines. -c, --count print a count of the matching records instead of the records themselves. Special options: --print-sexps print the data in sexps instead of rec format. AUTHOR
Written by Jose E. Marchesi. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to: bug-recutils@gnu.org GNU recutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010, 2011, 2012 Jose E. Marchesi. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for recsel is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and recsel programs are properly installed at your site, the command info recsel should give you access to the complete manual. recsel 1.4.93 January 2012 RECSEL(1)