Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash beginner
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bash beginner Post 303041594 by RudiC on Thursday 28th of November 2019 11:52:33 AM
Old 11-28-2019
You are not redirecting stdout to a text file with < but redirecting stdin to read from a (yet) non-existing file.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help. I am a beginner.

Alrigt, I need to write a shell script where it counts the number of folders and files and dispays "My home directory has 'x' files and 'y' directories." So, I was thinking of doing this. set x = `ls | wc` so, if I have 8 files and folders in my home directory, x is not 8. now, I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lykathea Aflame
1 Replies

2. Programming

Beginner C

Anyone know where I can get started in C++ programming in unix? Any good free tutorials or websites to start at? I am okay in unix scripting but have never done c programming of any sort... What are the main advantages of using C++ ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner bash scripting - a few problems

Hey Guys, I am creating a bash script on my freeBSD box, the script should basically ask the user to enter a username and domain. The script will take this information and basically append alot of information to config files so the user can receive email from that domain and create a web site at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: traxy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner looking for help

Hello, I am trying to write a script that reads names from a file called input, removes names if they have the same letter next to each other and prints the others. e.g. Colin & John would be printed Garry & Lynn would be removed My thinking is that I read in each name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Beginner at scripting

Hi, I'm a beginner at shell scripting, just started scripting in bash a few days ago. I want to test if the command ls *.jpg returns exit code 2, and if yes I want to execute a new command ls *.jpeg, doing a test on it... and pretty much repeat the procedure. Is this correct? #!/bin/bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Utherr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Ash (busybox) - Beginner

Hi All, I have a script that I wrote on a bash shell, I use it to sort files from a directory into various other directories. I have an variable set, which is an array of strings, I then check each file against the array and if it is in there the script sorts it into the correct folder. But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgtbobie
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Bash Scripting Question

Hello, I am new to Linux and studying to become a Unix System Admin. I am taking a course in which I was practicing creating a bash script to ping a particular IP address. The script can be found below: #/bin/bash echo "Enter the IP address" read ip if then ping -c 1 $ip if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shah9250
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner here, how to call a bash-script from python properly?

Hi everyone, i have the following script.sh: foo='lsusb | grep Webcam | cut -c16-18' sudo /home/user/public/usbreset /dev/bus/usb/001/$foo when i try to call this script from python using subprocess.call("script.sh", shell=True) it seems that only 'sudo /home/user/public/usbreset' is being... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilfemir
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner at bash scripting - need help with passing arguments

I at the moment, making a simple bash script, capable of setting up an workspace for me, so i don't have to do it manually.. Problem is though i can't seem to provide the bash script any argument, without running into my error checks, checking for input... Here is the code: #!/bin/bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner bash - basic shell script 'while' help...

Hi everyone, first time visitor to these forums here. Keeping a long story short I've been attempting to learn how to code in bash. I have VERY little previous experience with coding languages besides simply copying and pasting batch scripts for Windows. So, with that in mind I've followed a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meta
4 Replies
Mono(Mono 1.0)															    Mono(Mono 1.0)

NAME
mono-service, mono-service2 - Mono ServiceProcess host SYNOPSIS
mono-service [options] program.exe DESCRIPTION
The mono-service is a host to run services built with the ServiceProcess assembly. Use mono-service to run services that use the 1.0 assemblies and use mono-service2 to run services that use the 2.0 assemblies. Services can be paused by sending the SIGUSR1 signal to the process, and execution can be resumed by sending the SIGUSR2 signal. The ser- vice can be cleanly shutdown by sending the SIGTERM signal to the process. Mono programs started with mono-service run with the MONO_DISABLE_SHM variable set. This means that certain Mono features that depend on it are not available to services. The following options can be used to control the service: -d:DIRECTORY Use this option to specify the working directory for the service. The default is the current directory. -l:LOCKFILE Specifies the file to use for locking, the default is a filename constructed in /tmp based on the name of the program that hosts the service. -m:MESSAGE Name to show in the syslog. -n:NAME Use this to specify the service to be launched (if the program contains more than one service). The default is to run the first defined service. --debug Use this option to prevent mono-service from redirecting stdin and stdout and prevent the program to be sent to the background. Equivalent to --no-daemon --no-daemon Use this option to prevent mono-service from redirecting stdin and stdout and prevent the program to be sent to the background. Equivalent to --debug. CONTROL
You can control the service by sending signals to the process, you can use the following commands: Pausing service: kill -USR1 `cat <lock file>` Resuming service: kill -USR2 `cat <lock file>` Stopping the service: kill `cat <lock file>` EXAMPLES
Start the MyService.exe assembly, with a lock in /root/service-lock: mono-service -l:/root/service-lock MyService.exe DEBUGGING
Messages produced by the service are logged on syslog. MAILING LISTS
Visit http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-list for details. WEB SITE
Visit: http://www.mono-project.com for details SEE ALSO
mono(1) N:System.ServiceProcess Mono(Mono 1.0)