Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Save line from text in variable Post 303041451 by MLImag on Sunday 24th of November 2019 03:30:54 PM
Old 11-24-2019
Save line from text in variable

Hi,
I wrote a csh script where I want to save in a loop each time a different line from a text file (att_file) in the $name variable.
But it seems not to work.

att_file looks like:
Code:

Code:
set name = `head -n $count $att_file | tail -n 1 | awk '{print $1}'`

Do you know why?

Best

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 11-25-2019 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Additional code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a line and save it in a variable

Hi I want to read a file line by line and search for a particular string in each line(say for example string containing @ )and save that string into a variable. Can someone suggest me the way to implement it.I am using K- shell Thanks Ishita (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ishita
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output in a variable

Hi, I have a 3rd party tool on Solaris 8. I am running it thorugh my script but I am not able to capture its output into a variable. Like, I tried, but did not work. output=`/usr/bin/myTool` echo $output Also, I tried saving in a file but when I run, output is always shown on the... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the line starting with a pattern and save a part in variable

Hi i have a file which has mutiple line in it. inside that i have a pattern similar to this /abc/def/hij i want to fine the pattern starting with "/" and get the first word in between the the symbols "/" i.e. "abc" in this case into a variable. thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print variable length text from the middle of a line?

I am trying to get text from a webpage, in terminal form. So far I am: 1. getting the html for the page printed using curl (curl -s webpage.com), which is then 2. piped to awk, printing line number 29 (awk NR==29), then 3. this is where I am sort of lost. I know where in the printed line I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkfalz
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing top line of text in a file and setting it to a variable

If I have a txt file with test.txt somelineoftext and I want to set that line of text to variable in a script: so #!/bin/bash var='' becomes #!/bin/bash var='somelineoftext' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

EXPECT: Assign variable by reading a line of text from a file

Hi All, I have been using a program on windows called AutoKey. My environment at work is Linux and I have been experimenting with expect. Very powerful. I can move my AutoKey scripts to Linux using Expect once I am educated on how to read from a file using Expect. My application would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quemalr
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file name from a text file and save it in a variable

i have a text file consists of different file names like: line 1: lib/libIMb.so message broker file line 2: lil/imbdfg.lil message broker file i need to extract libIMb.so and imbdfg.lil files from those lines and save them in a variable. so that i can search for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Help] Adding text to a variable line in a file

Hey guys, I need to write a script that will add a specific text at the end of a specific line (of a text file). but the line is a variable this is my text file : device_2 ansible_ssh_host=127.0.0.1 ansible_ssh_port=30000 ansible_ssh_user='root' device_2 ansible_ssh_host=127.0.0.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OdedOvdat
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I save the result in a variable

I have friends that this command worked perfectly, but I would like to save the result in a variable, which I have not achieved var=prueba.txt echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 prueba I need to do this but does not work me salida=echo $var | cut -d "." -f 1 echo "result:$salida" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)