Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Awk/sed to replace variable in file Post 303041168 by RudiC on Saturday 16th of November 2019 04:08:43 AM
Old 11-16-2019
Any attempts / ideas / thoughts from your side?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with variable using sed or awk

hi, i have file say email.temp looks like Bell_BB 17 Bell_MONTHLY 888 SOLO_UNBEATABLE 721 and another file r3 Bell BB,Bell_BB Bell,Bell_MONTHLY SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE i want email.temp files $1 say Bell_BB should be replaced by r3 Bell BB and Bell_MONTHLY by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using file-and-replace sed command with the use of a variable?

Ok, so, let's say I have the variable $GMAILID....How can I use it with sed command so to replace a string in a file? e.g.: sed -i 's/$GMAILID/test@gmail.com/' /home/$USER/Desktop/sendmail (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk for batch replace file name

Can you please point me in the correct direction? I need a line or script to run though a given directory and find all files with "@domain.local" in there names and simple remove that. For example if the files were named 1234@domain.local the file would then become 1234. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed/awk to replace a block of text in a file?

My apologies if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been doing a lot of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. Specifically, I am wondering if I can utilize sed and/or awk to locate two strings in a file, and replace everything between those two strings... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddsupreme
12 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line from another file containing a string

Hi experts, In my text file I have the following alot of lines like below. input.k is as follows. 2684717 -194.7050476 64.2345581 150.6500092 0 0 2684718 -213.1575623 62.7032242 150.6500092 0 0 *INCLUDE $# filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace value of a variable in a file through script using sed

Hi, I am trying to replace the value of a variable in a file through another script. Example: Filename : abc.txt contents: a=10 b=20 c=30 Need to change the value of, say, b - Tried using the following: sed "s/${b}/15/g" abc.txt Have tried various forms of sed (with single quotes,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rituparna_gupta
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk script to replace only FIRST comment in the file

My first comment on every file contains the license message. I want to replace with a new license message. I used the below sed script, which replaces all comments. What is the modification or any other method with awk script for the below to edit only the first comment(license message)? #sed -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vpshastry
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a string with a variable in a file using sed?

I have a file having some text like: PATH_ABC=/user/myLocation I have to replace "/user/myLocation" with a session variable say, $REPLACE_PATH, where $REPLACE_PATH=/user/myReplaceLocation The following sed command is not working. It is writing PATH_ABC=$REPLACE_PATH in the file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SKhan
2 Replies

10. Programming

How to replace the complex strings from a file using sed or awk?

Dear All, I am having a requirement to find the difference between 2 files and generate a discrepancy report out of it as an html page. I prefer using diff -y file1 file2 since it gives user friendly layout to know any discrepancy in the record and unique records among the 2 file. Here's how it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Badhrish
12 Replies
nameserv::auto(n)					       Name service facility						 nameserv::auto(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
nameserv::auto - Name service facility, Client Extension SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require nameserv::auto ?0.3? package require nameserv _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Please read the document Name service facility, introduction first. This package provides the exact same API as is provided by package nameserv, i.e the regular name service client. It differs from the for- mer by taking measures to ensure that longer-lived data, i.e. bound names, continuous and unfulfilled async searches, survive the loss of the connection to the name server as much as is possible. This means that the bound names and continuous and unfulfilled async searches are remembered client-side and automatically re-entered into the server when the connection comes back after its loss. For bound names there is one important limitation to such restoration: It is pos- sible that a name of this client was bound by a different client while the connection was gone. Such names are fully lost, and the best the package can and will do is to inform the user of this. API
The user-visible API is mainly identical the API of nameserv and is therefore not described here. Please read the documentation of name- serv. The differences are explained in the sections OPTIONS and EVENTS. OPTIONS
This package supports all the option of package nameserv, and one more. The additional option allows the user to specifies the time inter- val between attempts to restore a lost connection. -delay milliseconds The value of this option is an integer value > 0 which specifies the interval to wait between attempts to restore a lost connection, in milliseconds. The default value is 1000, i.e. one second. EVENTS
This package generates all of the events of package nameserv, and two more. Both events are generated for the tag nameserv. lost-name This event is generated when a bound name is truly lost, i.e. could not be restored after the temporary loss of the connection to the name server. It indicates that a different client took ownership of the name while this client was out of contact. The detail information of the event will be a Tcl dictionary containing two keys, name, and data. Their values hold all the informa- tion about the lost name. re-connection This event is generated when the connection to the server is restored. The remembered data has been restored when the event is posted. The event has no detail information. DESIGN
The package is implemented on top of the regular nameservice client, i.e. package nameserv. It detects the loss of the connection by lis- tening for lost-connection events, on the tag nameserv. It reacts to such events by starting a periodic timer and trying to reconnect to the server whenver this timer triggers. On success the timer is canceled, a re-connection event generated, and the package proceeds to re-enter the remembered bound names and continous searches. Another loss of the connection, be it during or after re-entering the remembered information simply restarts the timer and subsequent reconnection attempts. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category nameserv of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
nameserv(n) KEYWORDS
automatic, client, name service, reconnect, restore CATEGORY
Networking COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2008 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> nns 0.3 nameserv::auto(n)