Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Is it possible to rename fasta headers based on its position specified in another file? Post 303041047 by dineshkumarsrk on Wednesday 13th of November 2019 02:01:01 AM
Old 11-13-2019
Is it possible to rename fasta headers based on its position specified in another file?

I have 5 sequences in a fasta file namely gene1.fasta as follows,
Code:
gene1.fasta
>1256
ATGTAGC
>GEP
TAGAG
>GTY578
ATGCATA
>67_iga
ATGCTGA
>90_ld
ATGCTG

I need to rename the gene1.fasta file based on the sequence position specified in list.txt as follows,
Code:
list.txt
position1=org5
position2=amylase
position3=org8
position4=lipase
position5=org_1

The expected outcome should be like this,
Code:
>org5
ATGTAGC
>amylase
TAGAG
>org8
ATGCATA
>lipase
ATGCTGA
>org_1
ATGCTG

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dineshkumarsrk; 11-13-2019 at 03:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of files with different headers to make combined headers file

Hi , I have a typical situation. I have 4 files and with different headers (number of headers is varible ). I need to make such a merged file which will have headers combined from all files (comman coluns should appear once only). For example - File 1 H1|H2|H3|H4 11|12|13|14 21|22|23|23... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marut_ashu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To Extract words from File based on Position

Hi Guys, While I was writing one shell script , I just got struck at this point. I need to extract words from a file at some specified position and do some comparison operation and need to replace the extracted word with another word. Eg : I like Orange very much. I need to replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuttu123
19 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to delete a word based on position in a file

Hi, I am new to unix. I want to delete 2 words placed at position say for example at 23rd and 45th position in a line. I used sed but couldnt achieve this. Example: the file contains 2 lines 12345 98765 "12345" 876 12345 98765 "64578" 876 I want to delete " placed at position 13 and 19... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbks2u
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing headers based on a second file

I have a file with thousands of sequences that looks like this: I need to replace the headers using a second file Thus, I will end up having the following file: I am looking for an AWK script that I can easily plug in my current pipeline. Any help will be greatly appreciated! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract regions of file based on start and end position

Hi, I have a file1 of many long sequences, each preceded by a unique header line. file2 is 3-columns list: headers name, start position, end position. I'd like to extract the sequence region of file1 specified in file2. Based on a post elsewhere, I found the code: awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed width file search based on position value

Hi, I am unable to find the right option to extract the data in the fixed width file. sample data abcd1234xgyhsyshijfkfk hujk9876 io xgla loki8787eljuwoejroiweo dkfj9098 dja Search based on position 8-9="xg" and print the entire row output ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on distinct value at specific position

OS : Linux 2.6x Shell : Korn In a single file , how can I identify all the Uniqe values at a specific character position and length of each record , and simultaneously SPLIT the records of the file based on each of these values and write them in seperate files . Lets say : a) I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences from a FASTA file based on another file

I have two files. File1 is shown below. >153L:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE RTDCYGNVNRIDTTGASCKTAKPEGLSYCGVSASKKIAERDLQAMDRYKTIIKKVGEKLCVEPAVIAGIISRESHAGKVL KNGWGDRGNGFGLMQVDKRSHKPQGTWNGEVHITQGTTILINFIKTIQKKFPSWTKDQQLKGGISAYNAGAGNVRSYARM DIGTTHDDYANDVVARAQYYKQHGY >16VP:A|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelsonfrans
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append file name to fasta file headers in Linux

How do we append the file name to fasta file headers in multiple fasta-files in Linux? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mauve
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies
KALIGN(1)							Kalign User Manual							 KALIGN(1)

NAME
kalign - performs multiple alignment of biological sequences. SYNOPSIS
kalign [infile.fasta] [outfile.fasta] [Options] kalign [-i infile.fasta] [-o outfile.fasta] [Options] kalign [< infile.fasta] [> outfile.fasta] [Options] DESCRIPTION
Kalign is a command line tool to perform multiple alignment of biological sequences. It employs the Muth?Manber string-matching algorithm, to improve both the accuracy and speed of the alignment. It uses global, progressive alignment approach, enriched by employing an approximate string-matching algorithm to calculate sequence distances and by incorporating local matches into the otherwise global alignment. OPTIONS
-s -gpo -gapopen -gap_open x Gap open penalty . -e -gpe -gap_ext -gapextension x Gap extension penalty. -t -tgpe -terminal_gap_extension_penalty x Terminal gap penalties. -m -bonus -matrix_bonus x A constant added to the substitution matrix. -c -sort <input, tree, gaps.> The order in which the sequences appear in the output alignment. -g -feature Selects feature mode and specifies which features are to be used: e.g. all, maxplp, STRUCT, PFAM-A? -same_feature_score Score for aligning same features. -diff_feature_score Penalty for aligning different features. -d -distance <wu, pair> Distance method -b -tree -guide-tree <nj, upgma> Guide tree method. -z -zcutoff Parameter used in the wu-manber based distance calculation. -i -in -input Name of the input file. -o -out -output Name of the output file. -a -gap_inc Increases gap penalties depending on the number of existing gaps. -f -format <fasta, msf, aln, clu, macsim> The output format. -q -quiet Print nothing to STDERR. Read nothing from STDIN. REFERENCES
o Timo Lassmann and Erik L.L. Sonnhammer (2005) Kalign - an accurate and fast multiple sequence alignment algorithm. BMC Bioinformatics 6:298 o Timo Lassmann, Oliver Frings and Erik L. L. Sonnhammer (2009) Kalign2: high-performance multiple alignment of protein and nucleotide sequences allowing external features. Nucleic Acid Research 3:858?865. AUTHORS
Timo Lassmann <timolassmann@gmail.com> Upstream author of Kalign. Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> Wrote the manpage. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Timo Lassmann Kalign is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. This manual page was written by Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> for the Debian(TM) system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the same terms as kalign itself. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License version 2 can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. kalign 2.04 February 25, 2009 KALIGN(1)