Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers One Line Command how to use pipe statements to execute and comment on multiple possible outcomes Post 303041041 by greavette on Tuesday 12th of November 2019 07:28:18 PM
Old 11-12-2019
Thanks very much Scrutinizer for your help! That was the bit of code that solved my issue.

Fully agree with you Neo. Now that my report is providing the information for my team as required I'll build in time to learn how to move my script to Python so I'll be ready to use with Ansible.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit status of command in a pipe line

Hi, I am trying to test the exit status of the cleartool lsvtree statement below, but it doesn't seem to be working due to the tail pipe, which it is testing instead. Is there a way around this without adding a tonne of new code? cleartool lsvtree $testlocation/$exe_name | tail -15 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: topcat8
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute the multiple line sql using shell script

Hi All, Please help me to write a shell script to execute the below sql query. select c.account_no,b.bill_no,a.pay_type,(b.total_due + b.recvd + b.adjusted + b.disputed + b.transferred) as amt_not_billed,d.cash_on_delivery, (select j.bill_no from billinfo_T y, bill_t j where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I execute multiple statements within If then else

Please help me. I have been doing this for several hours. Here is the code if then echo a b c d >> file.txt echo 1111 >> file.txt fi The reason I want the two echo is because I want these statements printed on multiple lines. I keep getting error . First it tells me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asemota
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a no of SELECT COUNT(*) statements using a loop

HI Unix Gurus, I have a number of SELECT count(*) statements in an input file and I want to execute it using a shell script but one by one using loop in script.... How can I do this..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ustechie
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute multiple statements in if-else

how can we execute multiple statements in else condition i have if then statement else statements fi in else condition i have multiple statements but it executing only one statement is there any way to execute multiple statements (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
4 Replies

6. Web Development

cannot execute copy comment but can do echo

I have set the sh file to chmod 755 i only able to print the output but cannot execute the copy why? Below is the code for sh file echo "Hello" cp hello.sh helloworld.sh Below is my code for php. <html> <head> </head> <body> <?php echo '<p>Hello</>'; ?> <?php shell_exec('sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhengkoon8
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute multiple comands on one single line

hi, I have a litle problem i wish to excute this comand : ./test.sh -e txt /home -l a so what it says is that "-e" shows me all the extenions that are ".txt" in "home" this works but then i wish that "-l" will show all files begining in this case with the letter "a" . Both comands work... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samirboss
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line by line and execute command

Hi ALL, I have a requirement like this. 1.GET ALL TABLE NAME (just table name) keep in file 2.Read line by line and get the count of table from tablename files. tablename detail has a sql statement "db2 select tabname from syscat.tables" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick and easy way to comment out multi lined print statements

Is there a quick and easy way to comment out multi lined print statements? something like this? printf("3408 strings_line_tokens %s \n", strings_line_tokens); (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies
el(1)                                                         General Commands Manual                                                        el(1)

NAME
el -- program to make a tuned shell-command for Oneliner SYNOPSIS
el [-acdfhioxV] [--command cmd] [--args n] [--format fmt] [--execute] [--inpipe buf] [--outpipe buf] [--serial] [--help] [--ver- sion] [--debug] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the el command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has docu- mentation in the GNU Info format; see below. el is a program that You can make a tuned shell-command for Oneliner with. This command can send S-exp to Emacs, and this can make Emacs evaluate it, too. In other words, you can execute Emacs's function from shell-commands. And you can make Emacs work in closer cooperation with your favorite shell-commands. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -c cmd --command cmd cmd means a function of Elisp. Command line arguments and data from stdin means arguments of cmd. If you specify the only -c switch, el output one S-exp by one line of stdin. --a n --args n Specifies the maximum number of arguments of a Elisp function with -c switch. -f fmt --format fmt Allows you to use format string of printf for making a S-exp. -x --execute Requests to Oneliner to evaluate the S-exp to use *Oneliner auto-eval* buffer. -i buf --inpipe buf Gets input from pipe-buffer. You can specify a number of pipe-buffer, too. -o buf --outpipe buf Puts output to pipe-buffer. You can specify a number of pipe-buffer, too. -s --serial Makes el to serialize multiple lines to one line. -h --help Display help message. -V --version Display version identifiers. -d --debug Enable debugging state. SEE ALSO
The programs are documented fully by Oneliner(Shell-mode hooks for Oneliners) available via the Info system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by OHURA Makoto <ohura@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. el(1)