Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Format specifier for sscanf() in C Post 303040848 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 7th of November 2019 04:29:33 PM
Old 11-07-2019
The empty line prints str1.
Because it was not matched in scanf() it has the value from the previous line - therefore the str1= assignment,
should set it to "" with one of
str1[0]=0 or str1[0]='\0' or with a bit more overhead strcpy(str1, "").
But you have str1[0]='0' that overwrites the first character of the previous value with a 0 character.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sscanf function is failing

Please delete this thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
0 Replies

2. Programming

sscanf !!

I have a string Form this string, I want to extract I am unable to do that with sscanf because of the space between the words. What else can I use? #include <stdio.h> char buf_2; int main() { char *buf_1 = "\\\\?\\whats going on"; sscanf(buf_1,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printf formatting using string format specifier.

Hi all, My simple AWK code does C = A - B If C can be a negative number, how awk printf formating handles it using string format specifier. Thanks in advance Kanu :confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
9 Replies

4. Programming

help with sscanf()!

Hi everybody, i need help with this function, i'm programming in CGI with C and i can't make this work. QUERY_STRING is something like: user=MYUSER&pass=MYPASS So, what i want is to store the strings containing the username and the password into str1 and str2 respetively, here's the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
4 Replies

5. Programming

help with sscanf

I need to match a float inside a very long string (about 5000 chars) with sscanf. (I trimmed the string in this example.) I can't seem to match all the chars that come before and after the float. int main(void) { char A = ""; strcat(A, " hello world! WORD' name='5.3498' hello world! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limmer
1 Replies

6. Programming

Help with sscanf

sscanf does not stop at the first "&". How can I extract "doe" ? char A = "name=john&last=doe&job=vacant&"; char B = "last"; char C = ""; char *POINTER = strstr(A, B); sscanf(POINTER + strlen(B), "=%s%*", C); printf("%s\n", C); // doe&job=vacant& (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
2 Replies

7. Programming

using sscanf

How can I separetely extract the string and int after "dribble" ? (sscanf must limit TEXT to 9 chars to avoid buffer overflows.) How come this code does not work with "dribbletext08" but does with "dribbletext05" ? int main(void) { char TEXT = ""; int NUMBER = 0; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining the Unix CSV format in Excel format while exporting

Hi All, I have created a Unix Shell script whch creates a *.csv file and export it to Excel. The problem i am facing is that Users wants one of the AMOUNT field in comma separted values. Example : if the Amount has the value as 3000000 User wants to be in 3,000,000 format. This Amount format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawat_me01
2 Replies

9. Programming

sscanf() weired behaviour

Hi with the following code int a, b; while ((n = readline (connfd, buf, sizeof(buf)-1)) > 0) { buf = '\0'; if (sscanf(buf,"%d %d",&a,&b) != 2) snprintf (buf, sizeof(buf), "data error\r\n"); else { printf("\nRecvd %d and %d",a,b); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princebadshah
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script for transferring bulk files from one format to text format

"Help Me" Need script for transferring bulk files from one format to text format in a unix server. Please suggest (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kranthi Kumar
2 Replies
PROP_STRING(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    PROP_STRING(3)

NAME
prop_string, prop_string_create, prop_string_create_cstring, prop_string_create_cstring_nocopy, prop_string_copy, prop_string_copy_mutable, prop_string_size, prop_string_mutable, prop_string_cstring, prop_string_cstring_nocopy, prop_string_append, prop_string_append_cstring, prop_string_equals, prop_string_equals_cstring -- string value property object LIBRARY
Property Container Object Library (libprop, -lprop) SYNOPSIS
#include <prop/proplib.h> prop_string_t prop_string_create(void); prop_string_t prop_string_create_cstring(const char *cstring); prop_string_t prop_string_create_cstring_nocopy(const char *cstring); prop_string_t prop_string_copy(prop_string_t string); prop_string_t prop_string_copy_mutable(prop_string_t string); size_t prop_string_size(prop_string_t string); bool prop_string_mutable(prop_string_t string); char * prop_string_cstring(prop_string_t string); const char * prop_string_cstring_nocopy(prop_string_t string); bool prop_string_append(prop_string_t str1, prop_string_t str2); bool prop_string_append_cstring(prop_string_t string, const char *cstring); bool prop_string_equals(prop_string_t str1, prop_string_t str2); bool prop_string_equals_cstring(prop_string_t string, const char *cstring); DESCRIPTION
The prop_string family of functions operate on a string value property object type. prop_string_create(void) Create an empty mutable string. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_create_cstring(const char *cstring) Create a mutable string that contains a copy of cstring. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_create_cstring_nocopy(const char *cstring) Create an immutable string that contains a reference to cstring. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_copy(prop_string_t string) Copy a string. If the string being copied is an immutable external C string reference, then the copy is also immutable and references the same external C string. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_copy_mutable(prop_string_t string) Copy a string, always creating a mutable copy. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_size(prop_string_t string) Returns the size of the string, not including the terminating NUL. If the supplied object isn't a string, zero is returned. prop_string_mutable(prop_string_t string) Returns true if the string is mutable. If the supplied object isn't a string, false is returned. prop_string_cstring(prop_string_t string) Returns a copy of the string's contents as a C string. The caller is responsible for freeing the returned buffer. In user space, the buffer is allocated using malloc(3). In the kernel, the buffer is allocated using malloc(9) using the malloc type M_TEMP. Returns NULL on failure. prop_string_cstring_nocopy(prop_string_t string) Returns an immutable reference to the contents of the string as a C string. If the supplied object isn't a string, NULL is returned. prop_string_append(prop_string_t str1, prop_string_t str2) Append the contents of str2 to str1, which must be mutable. Returns true upon success and false otherwise. prop_string_append_cstring(prop_string_t string, const char *cstring) Append the C string cstring to string, which must be mutable. Returns true upon success and false otherwise. prop_string_equals(prop_string_t str1, prop_string_t str2) Returns true if the two string objects are equivalent. prop_string_equals_cstring(prop_string_t string, const char *cstring) Returns true if the string's value is equivalent to cstring. SEE ALSO
prop_array(3), prop_bool(3), prop_data(3), prop_dictionary(3), prop_number(3), prop_object(3), proplib(3) HISTORY
The proplib property container object library first appeared in NetBSD 4.0. BSD
January 21, 2008 BSD