Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Discussion culture
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Discussion culture Post 303040806 by stomp on Thursday 7th of November 2019 05:29:11 AM
Old 11-07-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Over the past few years, I see some people just write some line of code without encouraging any discussion, getting the poster to discuss their actual requirements, system details, etc
Yes. Very frustrating.

I'm already thinking about that. My thoughts on that:

What is the motivation of answering without encouraging ?

Possibly positive feedback from the Requester and a positive feeling having fulfilled a task.

Does it really work that way ?

This topic often occuring in different fora. And it's always the same. Even if there are some people that help in this way, there's often at least one single person, that's directly posting resolution code.

Not sure about a good way to go here... I'm not fond of(very mildly expressed) Carrot and Stick approach(badges, bits and infraction points) either. One interesting concept i read of is the creation of positive memories. If one experiences the situation that a requester really had been helped into independence that might be such a strong experience.

Such experiences can either happen negatively(example: "All I did here is completely in vain.") or positively(example: "I really feel competent now, since I had the power to finish that challenging task") and are in terms of effect on oneself a thousand times stronger than just thoughts("positive thinking").

Last edited by stomp; 11-07-2019 at 07:38 AM..

gravitation(6)							       Games							    gravitation(6)

NAME
gravitation - a game about mania, melancholia, and the creative process. SYNOPSIS
gravitation DESCRIPTION
Gravitation is a video game written by Jason Rohrer about the creative process and the interaction between the creative process and life. Gravitation is an art game. As a result, some people love it and some people hate it. Check out the links to places it has been discussed on the website for some of the reactions. The mechanics of the game are fairly simple. Your "score" is related to the amount of "projects" you complete. To complete a project, first you need to discover and idea. In the game ideas are represented by blue stars and located in the maze above your initial position. To get to the maze, you can either wait till you feel inspired to jump that far, or you can play with your daughter and be inspired more quickly. Once you find an idea, it will fall to earth (so to speak), and you now need to "complete" the project by pushing the fallen star (now a white cube) into the fireplace. The game mechanics allow for myriad situations and exploring them can be an interesting experience. The most interesting part about this game is the emotions it evokes within the player of the game. The ultra-low-res pixel art helps here, by not being too distracting and by leaving plenty room for viewer interpretation. Gravitation is the follow-up to Passage, another art game by Jason Rohrer. USAGE
Gravitation has no command-line options. The left and right arrow keys move left and right. The spacebar is used to jump. Hold for higher jumps. The Esc key is used to quit the game. The game resolution and use of fullscreen or a window can be set by editing the files in /etc/gravitation. SEE ALSO
The website and discussion: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/gravitation/ The game creators statement: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/gravitation/statement.html March 2008 gravitation(6)