Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Discussion culture
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Discussion culture Post 303040806 by stomp on Thursday 7th of November 2019 05:29:11 AM
Old 11-07-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Over the past few years, I see some people just write some line of code without encouraging any discussion, getting the poster to discuss their actual requirements, system details, etc
Yes. Very frustrating.

I'm already thinking about that. My thoughts on that:

What is the motivation of answering without encouraging ?

Possibly positive feedback from the Requester and a positive feeling having fulfilled a task.

Does it really work that way ?

This topic often occuring in different fora. And it's always the same. Even if there are some people that help in this way, there's often at least one single person, that's directly posting resolution code.

Not sure about a good way to go here... I'm not fond of(very mildly expressed) Carrot and Stick approach(badges, bits and infraction points) either. One interesting concept i read of is the creation of positive memories. If one experiences the situation that a requester really had been helped into independence that might be such a strong experience.

Such experiences can either happen negatively(example: "All I did here is completely in vain.") or positively(example: "I really feel competent now, since I had the power to finish that challenging task") and are in terms of effect on oneself a thousand times stronger than just thoughts("positive thinking").

Last edited by stomp; 11-07-2019 at 07:38 AM..

fdim(3M)																  fdim(3M)

NAME
fdim(), fdimf(), fdiml(), fdimw(), fdimq() - positive difference functions SYNOPSIS
HP Integrity Server Only DESCRIPTION
The function determines the positive difference between its arguments. Integrity Server Only is a version of it takes arguments and returns a result. is a version of it takes arguments and returns a result. is an version of it takes arguments and returns an result. is equivalent to on HP-UX systems. USAGE
To use this function, compile either with the default option or with the and options. To use (for Integrity servers) or compile with the option. Make sure your program includes Link in the math library by specifying on the compiler or linker command line. RETURN VALUE
The function returns the positive difference between x and y. If x y, returns x y (and raises any exceptions resulting from the subtraction). If x y, returns +zero. If x or y is NaN, returns NaN. If both arguments are NaNs, returns NaN. returns a positively signed infinity in lieu of a value whose magnitude is too large, and raises the overflow and inexact exceptions. ERRORS
No errors are defined. SEE ALSO
fdim(3M), fmin(3M), math(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
: ISO/IEC C99 (including Annex F, ``IEC 60559 floating-point arithmetic'') fdim(3M)